Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
14000 kms and brake side bearing is still good. I was getting scared to get stranded with some of the posts here.

I'm going to change both jackshaft and both driveshaft bearings as well as all skid bearings.

Few in skid are rough, I travel alot alone and I don't need to be stuck in the woods over a $10 bearing.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Wheel Tire

· boost junkie
11,767 Posts
its more about age than milage
the more the sled sets with water in the bearings
the more damage

· Registered
2022 Rene-X 900T-R
182 Posts
14000 kms and brake side bearing is still good. I was getting scared to get stranded with some of the posts here.

I'm going to change both jackshaft and both driveshaft bearings as well as all skid bearings.

Few in skid are rough, I travel alot alone and I don't need to be stuck in the woods over a $10 bearing.

View attachment 2009173
I like your shop - very neat & tidy.
Work on cars for a living or just an enthusiast?

· Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like your shop - very neat & tidy.
Work on cars for a living or just an enthusiast?
I just finished the inside this summer. Give it time 😂. I like it somewhat neat, but it is a garage/ shop.

I'm just an enthusiast, the 87 mustang is my first car, the 56 Chevy is a family car. It was my uncle's and his uncle's before that.

The others are Dd's. 09 ram and 14 Corolla.

· Registered
957 Posts
Question- to install in the upper picture, do you need to install the upper slider gear assembly in order to install the bearing?

· Registered
1,826 Posts
Question- to install in the upper picture, do you need to install the upper slider gear assembly in order to install the bearing?
No. I have a section of pipe (some use ABS from hardware store) and tap it on. You fit pipe so it is just slides over shaft and touches on the inner race, only needed for about 1/2" where bearing seats.

· Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bearing fill is an art. Too much, and the bearing will have excessive drag and heat. Too little, and the same.

Somewhere I saw an article from the 60's where they stated race cars with different bearing fills.

Higher performance means less grease and less longevity. Obviously the flip is true.
Too much is definitely bad. I know that from working at a pulp mill.
But virtually none, is worse.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts