Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and didn't find this answer. Could the micro switch be bad in the brake lever if my tail and brake lights work fine!!! The light on the gauge stays on all the time now. Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
From my experience no, the zx had the same switch as the rev and I am assuming it is wired the same. When the switch on my grand touring stuck the brake light or dash light wouldn't come on. On my expedition 550F the dash light will flicker progressively faster and then turn solid and will stay that way until I hit the brake. The brake light itself works properly the whole time. I also noticed tonight that my tail light was not working, first I thought that the one element was burnt out in the bulb but then it came back on again so I may have some kind of short. As far as I can tell if the micro switch goes bad then the brake light won't work. I think your (our) problem with the idiot light on the dash is a short.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anybody else think this just could be a short some where!!!

·
Hold It Wide Open Till You See God
2,311 Posts
I would say it is the microswitch.
I have had lots of problems with mine this year.
A lot of high humidity days and moisture gets into it.
The tail light and brake light work but the light on the dash comes on and stays on quite often.

·
Just Killin' Time Till Summer
1,258 Posts
I have had the same problem
Seems to be on the colder hi humidity days
If it comes on and I mess with the wiring at the switch
I can make it go out for a second or 2.
Brake and light work just fine.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
The switch has 2 sets of contacts one for the brake light and one for the light on the speedo........ thus one can work without the other. My guess is the one for you speedo is shorted out causing it to stay on all the time. I believe that it goes to a relay where there are the 2 seperate contacts. Therefore your relay could be bad or just sticking.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
No..........

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crazy_2 said:
I have had the same problem
Seems to be on the colder hi humidity days
If it comes on and I mess with the wiring at the switch
I can make it go out for a second or 2.
Brake and light work just fine.
[snapback]691819[/snapback]​
This seems to be what I am experiencing, I did get into some rain that day but had it in the garage and warm soon after. Maybe it needs a couple of days of heat and some cleaning!!

·
planes take off against the wind
15,035 Posts
If the tail and stop lights work correctly I would rule out a switch. My guess is that light does double duty - also low oil? and in that other circuit is the issue.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
zdooman said:
If the tail and stop lights work correctly I would rule out a switch. My guess is that light does double duty - also low oil? and in that other circuit is the issue.
[snapback]692891[/snapback]​
Good point, checked oil level and it was fine. Looks like test light time and a ride to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
05600sdi said:
I did a search and didn't find this answer. Could the micro switch be bad in the brake lever if my tail and brake lights work fine!!! The light on the gauge stays on all the time now. Thanks for the help!!
[snapback]690683[/snapback]​
ttt

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
alexd said:
I still say its your microswitch.
[snapback]693888[/snapback]​
If it is the microswitch then explain why the actual brake light works normally. It makes no sence for it to be the microswitch since there are only two wires coming from the microswitch and the brake light is not affected. My dash LED does the same thing and I am convinced that the problem is due to moisture in the guage (visible condensation on the inside).

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Alright I pulled out the shop manual last night and decided to look it up. I looked at the wiring diagram and there are 2 wires going to the switch...... 1 comes in 1 goes out to a branch circuit which runs to the taillight and then the connector that goes into your speedo...... the other 2 wires going to your taillight come from a different source..... hence the taillight and brakelight differences. So according to the diagram if the brake switch is activated (or shorted) then BOTH the light on the speedo and the brakelight would come on.... and yours does not and it does work when you actually depress the lever right????? Therefore all I can see that could be wrong is the connection at the speedo. Try unplugging it and putting some electrical grease on it and put it back in place......... Good luck!!!!!!!!!! Another thing if you happen to have another sled you could try swapping out the speedo and see if the preoble follows. Also I could find no indication of the light being used for anything other than the brake.......

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
brs2002 said:
Alright I pulled out the shop manual last night and decided to look it up. I looked at the wiring diagram and there are 2 wires going to the switch...... 1 comes in 1 goes out to a branch circuit which runs to the taillight and then the connector that goes into your speedo...... the other 2 wires going to your taillight come from a different source..... hence the taillight and brakelight differences. So according to the diagram if the brake switch is activated (or shorted) then BOTH the light on the speedo and the brakelight would come on.... and yours does not and it does work when you actually depress the lever right????? Therefore all I can see that could be wrong is the connection at the speedo. Try unplugging it and putting some electrical grease on it and put it back in place......... Good luck!!!!!!!!!! Another thing if you happen to have another sled you could try swapping out the speedo and see if the preoble follows. Also I could find no indication of the light being used for anything other than the brake.......
[snapback]694064[/snapback]​
Yes, brake and tailight work fine. I will try and find another SDI and plug my spedo in it!!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
brs2002 said:
[snapback]694064[/snapback]​
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just wish the sled wasn't four hours away and no snow there!! Makes working on it that much worse!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts