Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 mxz sport 600. I'm having an issue with my brakes. When the sled is cold, everything works fine. After about 45 minutes of riding, the brake lever goes to the handlebar, without activating the brakes. I have to pump the brake lever fast to get it to stop the sled. Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking I just need to bleed the brakes. Anyone have any other things I should check?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have a 2002 mxz sport 600. I'm having an issue with my brakes. When the sled is cold, everything works fine. After about 45 minutes of riding, the brake lever goes to the handlebar, without activating the brakes. I have to pump the brake lever fast to get it to stop the sled. Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking I just need to bleed the brakes. Anyone have any other things I should check?
Yea for sure bleed the brakes, you have air in there, also check for leaks to make sure, while your at you might as well put in new fluid too,

·
Registered
511 Posts
Either that or your rotor is out of round, as it spins it pushes the pads/cylinders back. Pumping the brakes brings them back out. Run the machine on a stand to see if its out of round. Jackshaft or top chain case bearing really worn would cause this too.

·
Mainway Solutions Inc.
2020 Renegade XRS
2,975 Posts
is this a new problem or did you have the calliper off

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not taken the brakes apart. I noticed it last season with the little bit of riding I did. It seems odd that it would only happen when the sled has been run for a while. I would think if it was a bad mechanical part, it would happen all the time?

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
i'm wondering since it seems to function when cold and doesn't when warm the fluid could be getting too hot. brake fluid absorbs water, it doesn't take much for it to become contaminated and cause performance issues. I agree; change the fluid, bleed it good. The brake handle should firm up and you should see the brake piston's move when actuated. Check the brake hose as you put the brakes on making sure it's not collapsing. Finally, the brake pump itself could be leaking internally. You should notice the malfunctioning pump if it's not building pressure.

Test brakes on a stand before riding!

·
Registered
436 Posts
i'm wondering since it seems to function when cold and doesn't when warm the fluid could be getting too hot. brake fluid absorbs water, it doesn't take much for it to become contaminated and cause performance issues. I agree; change the fluid, bleed it good. The brake handle should firm up and you should see the brake piston's move when actuated. Check the brake hose as you put the brakes on making sure it's not collapsing. Finally, the brake pump itself could be leaking internally. You should notice the malfunctioning pump if it's not building pressure.

Test brakes on a stand before riding!
X2

·
Is it winter yet
2,147 Posts
I,ve had this happen before, i drained and refilled brakes with dot 4 fluid then bleed brakes. 4000 miles or so since and has never happened again. Brake fluid was boiling is the only thing i could come up with ,Good luck.

·
Mainway Solutions Inc.
2020 Renegade XRS
2,975 Posts
I don't know about mopars but MXZ would be would be a good place to start
LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts