Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently returned from a trip out to the mountains out in Colorado.
I was fortunate enough to take both my sons along with me.

The 15 year old was riding a 2005 SkiDoo 600 SDI Adrenaline, the 21 year old a 2006 600 SDI X Renegade with the upgraded, X package wave rotor setup.

At first the 05 brakes starting acting up, then a day later the 06 X model started to have problems.

Temps were anywhere from 25-45 degrees and altitude was from 9,000-11,000 feet.

When the brakes got hot, the fluid was boiling and they would fail. Open the side covers up or drive a couple miles without touching the brake and they worked fine.

Repetitive use, slower riding, long downhill runs would render the brakes useless, failing just when you needed them the most.

Both brakes systems were topped off and bled. This did nothing to fix the problem. DOT 4 fluid was in the system as per SkiDoo specs.

When the brakes fluid would overheat the lever would go to the bar. At first you could pump them once and they would come back. As they overheated more, there was nothing.

Again, let it cool for a few minutes, or throw some snow on this and they were back to the normal.

While riding these sleds up in Northern WI in colder, denser air, they worked as they should.

Out west, I was riding a 05 Mach Z with them and never experienced any brake problems. Mach Z has same brake setup as the 06 Renegade X.

The Mach Z has a huge brake scoop on the right side. I also run the Mach Z with the lower vent removed above your right foot. The 05 or 06 sleds have no where near as much cooling available to the right side as the Mach.

Those big pipes make a lot of heat under the cowling, especially with in warm conditions and less dense air (we had a new 06 Renegade 800 PowerTech melt the rewind from the exhaust can)

While I have had much patients for problems SkiDoo has with their sleds (mostly inaccurate SDI calibration that yet to be perfected) now days there is no excuse for ever having brake problems.

We are not talking about adding a couple mph, or something that broke and caused some downtime.

This is an issue that could bring liability to SkiDoo, in the event of an accident.

Last time I experienced this type of liability was a 79 Polaris Indy 500 triple, and hence Polaris's move to liquid cooled brakes.

I need to take a look at the Summit's or do some research with SkiDoo to see if they a kit that may improve cooling to the brake area.

I would appreciate an email from others who experienced like problems. Send it to [email protected]

·
REV XP Nut
1,248 Posts
We have the same problem on the race track , got to get air to the brakes to help to keep the cooler

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Try riding the brakes on your car or truck as you come down a mountain for a while. You should warn the car manufacturers too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts