Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced any trouble jetting boyesen reeds in a 800r?

I put them in last winter, and started with jetting down 2 sizes on the main to 460. It started and ran fine until after I rode it around a bit then it would get a bad hanging idle at around 3,400rpm. So I jetted up the pilot and messed with the idle air screws for the rest of the winter but could never get the hanging idle to go away. I could jet the pilot so fat that it would barely run off idle and as soon as it would warm up after running around it would go back to hanging at 3,000+ rpm.

Just wondering if I am the only one who experienced this problem?

·
Registered
988 Posts

I put them in last winter, and started with jetting down 2 sizes on the main to 460. It started and ran fine until after I rode it around a bit then it would get a bad hanging idle at around 3,400rpm. So I jetted up the pilot and messed with the idle air screws for the rest of the winter but could never get the hanging idle to go away. I could jet the pilot so fat that it would barely run off idle and as soon as it would warm up after running around it would go back to hanging at 3,000+ rpm.

Sounds like an air leak. Did you reuse the stock carb boots? Did you see if there delaminating, most all carb boots off the 800r's that I've seen have some sort of delaminating on the inside. Some worse than others, especially the 08's just because there older.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Most guys end up leaning out the pilots with the boyesens. Must be an air leak

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cant imagine it having a air leak. Its a 2010 and I put the reeds on it when it was about a week old. The manifolds both look perfect and I sprayed starting fluid all over to try and make it idle up but it made no difference. I sprayed it on every angle possible with no change in idle quality at all.

·
Registered
728 Posts
if you flip the choke, does it come down and stay down??

if so, not an air leak, so i would try turning down the idle screw. for some reason, the boyesens are sensitive to idle adjustment - set it for 1500-1600. anything higher and you will get the hanging idle when you come to a stop. that has been my experience . . .

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup if you flip the choke real quick it comes down and stays at idle. I set idle to 1.500 rpm. I talked to Rich at Dynoport about this and he said that I can either try turning the idle down to like to 1,000rpm or so and see if that works or I could just pull them out and put a set of V-force in.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm gonna be putting some in soon, I hope I don't have the same problem.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Do the needles need to be shimmed with the Boyesens? Maybe it's an off idle lean spot??

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
460 main 10 thousand under needle boyesen second design reeds stock air screw head pipe can bikeman y bondi
air box 5000 miles no problems held wide open long distances would only hang up well below zero hope this helps CHEERS

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had the same problem with mine new boyesens 460mains .010 shims and 15 pilots.1turn on air screws couldn't get rid of it entirely but its bareible.

·
Registered
925 Posts
15's on your pilots??? I have a 500SS and had to up them to 20's along with turning out the fuel/air screw to 1.75 turns...I think anyone with hanging idle should at least try 20's first at the stock screw settings...just to see what it does...

·
Summer Sucks!!!!!
8,989 Posts
I had the same problem with mine new boyesens 460mains .010 shims and 15 pilots.1turn on air screws couldn't get rid of it entirely but its bareible.
Remember, these are fuel screws not air screws - out for more fuel and in for less fuel (where as air screws are just the opposite effect).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts