Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, just curious if anyone has had issues with a hanging idle after installing Boyesen Rad Valves. My sled was running great with 1300 miles on it. It has a lot done to it, not a ton of motor mods, only think is an SLP Can with BMP temp sensor adapter. The sled was hanging the idle at the dealer and they called me to ask if that had been happening, it was not. The called Boyesen and they said to reset the Throttle Position Switch, so they did, and they felt it was fixed. Then I rode the sled twice about 100 miles each day, and intermittently it hung the throttle, it also did NOT feel like it was running that good, felt like it lost low end too. I then called Boyesen myself and spoke to the tech, he said he had only heard of one other sled doing this and it was the TPS, yeda yada. Then I rode the sled over 500 miles in colder temps and a bit higher altitude and it didn't hang once. Rode again this weekend in same area as the first time, and in warmer weather and is hung again. Maybe I am answering the question already, but could the exhaust can and/or temp module adapter be a bad combo with the Boyesen reeds??

·
Registered
253 Posts
My Boyesen reeds after 200mi.

This is not their updated part (what they tell me), but it started with idle issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I definitely have the updated part as I ordered them direct from Boyesen within the past few months. I was going to put the stock can back on and see if that fixed the issue but then is it the can or the reeds if it goes away, of course if it doesn't it is definitely the reeds causing it but nobody else is having hanging idle issues that I can find. Anyone having hanging idle with just a can? I see quite a few posts about bogging with cans etc....

I theorize that the combination of the reeds and the can and/or probe are making the sled think it is running incorrectly(youd guess lean)and the computer is compensating for the issue. I know that carbed 800r sleds had this hanging issue and you could easily correct it by putting in a larger(richer) get.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I have never met a aftermarket reed set I liked. They either flaked as shown above or hung open slightly. The more aftermarket parts, the more difficult it is to diagnose.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had them in a number of sleds without issue and I would certainly be open to the fact that they are slightly open or flaking but since I rode it over 500 miles without it happening and then having it reappear make me think something is being read wrong by the computer, since the conditions were definitely different.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Ride them like they come from factory, Once you start bolting on all this stuff that's when the problems begin! Just my $0.02 :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya, decent advice, but that applies to almost everthing you buy with a motor........ If everyone took that perspective you this website and countless others probably wouldn't exist!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just pull you airbox and look for fuel of feel for blowby. Mine was obvious.

Think simple. You sled knows where the throttle is and what the fuel mixture is. Its either getting unmetered air or the cable is stuck somewhere? If the computer didn't know what to do, there would be lights on your dash. Or, bring it to the dealer, there are many codes that won't illuminate the light.

And yes, even the STOCK reeds fail.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The unmetered air was my actually my first thought right off the bat, but when it didn't do it for 500 miles I ruled that one out, same with the reeds having a failure, I don't either would be intermittent. Thanks for the suggestions, looks like I may be done riding for the year, I may just shoot it over to the dealer and see if they can figure it our Boyesen....

·
Registered
5 Posts
so I'm new here, the reason I am here is because I have the same problem with the boyesen reeds, 2011 etec 800 with bmp can, ypipe and vforce reeds, 6000 miles never skipped a beat.... now I have the 2014 etec 800 again bmp can and ypipe, all was good for 1800 miles, then I put on the boyesen rage cage and the sled will idle good but then wont pick rpm till about 15 seconds of bumping the throttle to get it to rev up, then after it revs up it will not come back to idle, it will stay between 2600 and 4200 rpm depending on intake air temp and so on, it runs good and pulls hard but I don't feel safe with it, too lean??

so I put stock reeds back in and everything returned to normal... then the rage cage went back in last night and I got a power commander V to use with the reeds to add fuel in hopes of correcting the problem and no luck... any thoughts

·
Electrical Contractor/Inventor/Musician
706 Posts
When I was at the Axys Demo Ride in Minnesota, one of the engineers was talking about the new V-Force-3 reeds that will now come standard on the Axys. They had discovered that the petals were failing due to the reeds closing violently against the cages over time. V-Force discovered that by adding a soft rubber compound to the sealing edges of the reed windows, that this soft rubber would dampen the reed petal as it closed and eliminate the fracturing of the petals. DynoTech just tested these new reeds. Here's a bit of the description:

Steve Tassinari of Moto Tassinari sent DTR new Vforce3 reed cages that fit the Polaris
CFI twins, and asked us to do a back-to-back comparison of stock vs. new Vforce3 on a
ProR 800 CFI2 engine.
I had recently discussed these new carbon fiber reed sets with Polaris engineer Darren
Hedlund. Darren told me that their field-testing was showing excellent durability with
these new reeds-upwards of 450 hours per test sled. Why the sudden improvement in
durability compared to earlier versions? Moto Tassinari has created a new system of
rubber dampener seals on the sides and tips of each rectangular reed window that are said
to seal better and dampen out harmful impacts/ vibrations that can lead to eventual
fracturing and chipping of the petals after extended use. And if the sealing is more precise
and improved, could that improve net airflow? Reed petals surely live a brutal life-
going from wide open against the reed stops as the piston rises toward TDC, then
slamming closed against the solid reed cages as the piston descends on the power-stroke
133 times per second at 8000 RPM!
You can subscribe here to read the rest of this very interesting article: http://www.dynotechresearch.com/index.htm

Reactions: 04XPSII

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad to see my problem is not isolated. Interestingly we have other mods that are similar..... I think there is some issue with the combo of the mods since nobody else is having the issue with just the reeds..

·
Registered
5 Posts
so I got it figured, it turns out that my throttle position was at 1% at idle, this will cause or lead to the problem we are having. I learned this with the power commander, however your dealer should also be able to figure that out. to solve this I reset the idle stop screws on the throttle bodies, (no my throttle cable was not hanging up) this allowed the tps to return to 0% and proper idle and throttle response was restored. however I also added fuel with the power commander to help with the added air that the cages are flowing, this helps the rpm come down quicker, so my sled is working good now, hope this helps...... all that being said I have no idea how my sled could idle properly with the stock reeds in it while the tps was reading 1%, because that goes against everything I'v learned about this issue in the last few days... could explain why your problem is intermittent???

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ahhh, interesting, thanks for the updade. "Resettihg" the TPS was the cure that Boyesen tech person recommended but I do not think he implied doing it this way nor did the dealer do more than put it on the BUDS system and reset the calibration. I am done riding for the year but will address it using your advice.

I'd like to ask, do you feel like the power commander did much to improve performance by allowing you to tune the sled to the mods?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
When I was at the Axys Demo Ride in Minnesota, one of the engineers was talking about the new V-Force-3 reeds that will now come standard on the Axys. They had discovered that the petals were failing due to the reeds closing violently against the cages over time. V-Force discovered that by adding a soft rubber compound to the sealing edges of the reed windows, that this soft rubber would dampen the reed petal as it closed and eliminate the fracturing of the petals. DynoTech just tested these new reeds. Here's a bit of the description:

Steve Tassinari of Moto Tassinari sent DTR new Vforce3 reed cages that fit the Polaris
CFI twins, and asked us to do a back-to-back comparison of stock vs. new Vforce3 on a
ProR 800 CFI2 engine.
I had recently discussed these new carbon fiber reed sets with Polaris engineer Darren
Hedlund. Darren told me that their field-testing was showing excellent durability with
these new reeds-upwards of 450 hours per test sled. Why the sudden improvement in
durability compared to earlier versions? Moto Tassinari has created a new system of
rubber dampener seals on the sides and tips of each rectangular reed window that are said
to seal better and dampen out harmful impacts/ vibrations that can lead to eventual
fracturing and chipping of the petals after extended use. And if the sealing is more precise
and improved, could that improve net airflow? Reed petals surely live a brutal life-
going from wide open against the reed stops as the piston rises toward TDC, then
slamming closed against the solid reed cages as the piston descends on the power-stroke
133 times per second at 8000 RPM!
You can subscribe here to read the rest of this very interesting article: http://www.dynotechresearch.com/index.htm
Heads up. Rubber coating on the reed cage is not new. My 2000 Poo 600 has it. I put Boyesen reeds on that old beauty and it fixed a backfire problem I was having. The stock reeds looked fine and were sealing completely. Apparently the flex characteristics matter a lot too.

I used to have a problem with a hanging idle my 2001 poo (carb engine) when I drove it hard and game to a stop. I would just blip the choke and the engine would settle down immediately.

It stopped doing that. I wonder if some of it has to do with ethanol fuel. Ethy has O2 in it so it can tip the scale slightly lean. Maybe the OP got some ethy when it was supposed to be non-ox?

·
Registered
5 Posts
not sure about the power commander, I have not had much time with it, we are almost done riding here for the year, this next Sunday is supposed to be

race day at the lake, don't get me wrong I would much rather ride than race and that is what my sled is set up for but when the snow is gone we go the lake

I will let you know how I feel about it after the weekend

1 - 20 of 29 Posts