Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FINALLY BOUGHT ONE! Found a used 2005 RT1000, w/ 700 miles 162"

The only mod I want to make for now, is swap out that GIANT can for a lighter, louder, and better performing one.

I am looking for a modestly loud (not crazy obnoxious, but for a nice deep rumble), a few HP gain, and a good amount of weight reduction.

So, i am asking anyone that owns one of these sleds, to throw out some brand names for me, and where to buy them (websites?). I have already been told that "the thing" would be good fit for what I want (thanks "I Dare Ya Rene"), and HPS is also good but pretty loud? Does SLP make a pipe for the RT1000? I couldnt find one on their site.

thanks in advance for eveyone's feedback....

PS - what is the factory HP rating of the 1000? i've heard 165, is that about right?



Thanks,
Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
Milocka said:
FINALLY BOUGHT ONE! Found a used 2005 RT1000, w/ 700 miles 162"

The only mod I want to make for now, is swap out that GIANT can for a lighter, louder, and better performing one.

I am looking for a modestly loud (not crazy obnoxious, but for a nice deep rumble), a few HP gain, and a good amount of weight reduction.

So, i am asking anyone that owns one of these sleds, to throw out some brand names for me, and where to buy them (websites?). I have already been told that "the thing" would be good fit for what I want (thanks "I Dare Ya Rene"), and HPS is also good but pretty loud? Does SLP make a pipe for the RT1000? I couldnt find one on their site.

thanks in advance for eveyone's feedback....

PS - what is the factory HP rating of the 1000? i've heard 165, is that about right?



Thanks,
Jeff
[snapback]719212[/snapback]​
Wow.......your first sled is an RT1000?

Ive heard good things about any one of those cans. From what Ive heard, dont mess with the stock pipe on skidoos unless you are doing fairly significant engine mods.

I think your bang on with the HP. Ive heard anywhere from 165 to 180. Im hoping 180.......it makes me feel like a bigger man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
[quote name='djb' date='Feb 16 2006, 09:26 AM']
[quote name='Milocka' date='Feb 16 2006, 07:13 AM']FINALLY BOUGHT ONE! Found a used 2005 RT1000, w/ 700 miles 162"

Wow.......your first sled is an RT1000?

I say GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!


Murray
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
BUY Insurance man that sled is a handfull for an experienced rider, and I'll say more than what a first timer should have in my opinion. I sure hope for your sake all the bugs are worked out ! because if there not don't do any serious highmarking until your sure they are. Mine used to cut out at the worst possible time every time I was climbing and it was usually not pretty getting out those sticky situations. When working properly it should be a true high marker. Good luck to you and sled safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Insurance is already in place... I would consider myself a novice rider still (been out around a dozen times), but I have already ridden a 1000, and it would have been hard to get anything less than a 1000 (especially the deal I got, $6500). It is a handful, but I am 6'4", and 275lbs, so i can throw it around a little better than a smaller guy. I think it will be a perfect fit for me, and even more so with more experience.

The "bugs" should already be worked out, considering I received the VIN history, and all of the updates have been made.

I plan to keep the powertrain as stock as possible, except the can, just for reliability sake.

What other lightweight parts are the best bang for my buck?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
Milocka said:
Insurance is already in place... I would consider myself a novice rider still (been out around a dozen times), but I have already ridden a 1000, and it would have been hard to get anything less than a 1000 (especially the deal I got, $6500). It is a handful, but I am 6'4", and 275lbs, so i can throw it around a little better than a smaller guy. I think it will be a perfect fit for me, and even more so with more experience.

The "bugs" should already be worked out, considering I received the VIN history, and all of the updates have been made.

I plan to keep the powertrain as stock as possible, except the can, just for reliability sake.

What other lightweight parts are the best bang for my buck?
[snapback]719587[/snapback]​
Remove the rear cooler, remove all of the foam from under the hood and panels, drill track and remove half of the clips, remove rear rack, remove plastic clutch cover, remove front sway bar.

There are a bunch of posts on this if you look around. They go into detail on how to do these things, and tell you how much wieght you lose for each.

I also removed my decals and windshield. I think I saved about 2 ounces; It feels nimbler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,186 Posts
Did you get it from Xtreme? I know they were having smokin' deals on the 1000's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
skidoo said:
Did you get it from Xtreme? I know they were having smokin' deals on the 1000's
[snapback]719896[/snapback]​
Xtreme in Dacono... I was leaning towards a new one, but they just took this used one in as a trade, and it was almost a grand less, so why buy new, right? It was a great deal, and the sled had 701 miles on it.

Heading up to Vail Pass this Saturday, then to Rabbit Ears on the 25th, Xtreme is hosting a demo, check out what they are bringing below. They claim you can ride each of them for 20 minutes or so.

"QUOTE FROM THEIR SITE:

Nobody does demo rides like Xtreme! Here's your chance to ride lots of cool new stuff.

We'll be at our usual spot in the Muddy Creek Parking Lot on Saturday and Sunday with:

* 2007 Ski-Doo Summit 800

* 2007 Polaris 600 RMKs

* 2005 Ski-Doo Summit 1000 Xtreme Lightweight with 50hp of Nitrous

* 2006 Yamaha Apex Turbo (over 200hp observed on our dyno at 6,500')

* 2006 Polaris 900 RMK with RMX Kit, SLP Airbox, etc.

* 2006 Ski-Doo Summit 800 with RMX Kit

* 2006 Polaris 600 RMK with RMX Kit, 151x2.4" Track

* 2005 Ski-Doo Summit 1000 (only $7499!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,032 Posts
Milocka said:
skidoo said:
Did you get it from Xtreme? I know they were having smokin' deals on the 1000's
[snapback]719896[/snapback]​
Xtreme in Dacono... I was leaning towards a new one, but they just took this used one in as a trade, and it was almost a grand less, so why buy new, right? It was a great deal, and the sled had 701 miles on it.

Heading up to Vail Pass this Saturday, then to Rabbit Ears on the 25th, Xtreme is hosting a demo, check out what they are bringing below. They claim you can ride each of them for 20 minutes or so.

"QUOTE FROM THEIR SITE:

Nobody does demo rides like Xtreme! Here's your chance to ride lots of cool new stuff.

We'll be at our usual spot in the Muddy Creek Parking Lot on Saturday and Sunday with:

* 2007 Ski-Doo Summit 800

* 2007 Polaris 600 RMKs

* 2005 Ski-Doo Summit 1000 Xtreme Lightweight with 50hp of Nitrous

* 2006 Yamaha Apex Turbo (over 200hp observed on our dyno at 6,500')

* 2006 Polaris 900 RMK with RMX Kit, SLP Airbox, etc.

* 2006 Ski-Doo Summit 800 with RMX Kit

* 2006 Polaris 600 RMK with RMX Kit, 151x2.4" Track

* 2005 Ski-Doo Summit 1000 (only $7499!)
[snapback]720818[/snapback]​
I'll be at the ears for there demo day too. Congrats on the new sled, hope to meet a few of you guy there on the 25th.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top