Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put new torsion springs in my gsx and it was a vast improvement... but not good enough. I still bottom out a lot on the rough stuff. I have my centre shock at the lowest setting because I have no ski pressure and can't steer when I jack it up. It doesn't bottom out as much though. To solve this, should I shorten the limiter strap, increasing the ski pressure enough so that I can then turn up the centre spring and still be able to steer???

·
Doo Rider
3,170 Posts
If you replaced the torsion springs and you are still bottoming out....then you replaced them with the wrong ones. You should have gone stiffer. All your doing now is trying to compensate for problems you still have. Sell the springs you have and get the proper ones for your weight.....It think you will be much happier.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have you checked the condition of your rear shocks? Are you bouncing too much? If so you may need new or stiffer shocks. I trust you have set your torsion springs on thew stiffest setting? The ski pressure thing has me baffled...revs have tons of ski pressure.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The torsion springs I put in were above the recommended upgrade springs. It is a gsx and had very thin square springs. The new ones are round and much thicker. The lowest setting on the new springs is stiffer than the highest setting on the old springs. As for revs having lots of ski pressure, I can only tell you what I am experiencing. I have my centre spring on the lowest setting because I cannot steer IN POWDER(maybe one to two feet deep) when I increase it. I know that steering in powder is not the same as hardpack and you wouldn't think that ski pressure should matter very much but I found that it did in a big way. When I increased the stiffness of my center spring I was all over the place and going off the trail. I felt like I had no control. I stopped after an hour and changed the spring back to the low setting and everything was great again. So it seems that I will bottom out if it is on a low setting and my steering suffers on a high setting. So I figure that shortening the limiter straps should increase ski pressure enough to allow me to stiffen the centre spring and bottom out less while I maintain directional control... Can't hurt to try it!

And yes, the torsions are on the stiffest setting... and no, I am not bouncing too much. I think I will get stiffer front springs and the torsion spacers as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
newfiehornet said:
The torsion springs I put in were above the recommended upgrade springs. It is a gsx and had very thin square springs. The new ones are round and much thicker. The lowest setting on the new springs is stiffer than the highest setting on the old springs. As for revs having lots of ski pressure, I can only tell you what I am experiencing. I have my centre spring on the lowest setting because I cannot steer IN POWDER(maybe one to two feet deep) when I increase it. I know that steering in powder is not the same as hardpack and you wouldn't think that ski pressure should matter very much but I found that it did in a big way. When I increased the stiffness of my center spring I was all over the place and going off the trail. I felt like I had no control. I stopped after an hour and changed the spring back to the low setting and everything was great again. So it seems that I will bottom out if it is on a low setting and my steering suffers on a high setting. So I figure that shortening the limiter straps should increase ski pressure enough to allow me to stiffen the centre spring and bottom out less while I maintain directional control... Can't hurt to try it!

And yes, the torsions are on the stiffest setting... and no, I am not bouncing too much. I think I will get stiffer front springs and the torsion spacers as well.
[snapback]751534[/snapback]​
wish I had two feet of powder.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Ever thought to look at the reason why you can't steer? Its the fricken Junk skis, not your suspension adjustments.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Deadman said:
Ever thought to look at the reason why you can't steer? Its the fricken Junk skis, not your suspension adjustments.
[snapback]751659[/snapback]​
I agree with Deadman,,,
You need better skis, and probably more carbide..
Try C&A skis, they work awsome for me... I have the Outlaws with the Stud Boy 9' Shaper bar.
I get way too much steering with these, but thats how I like it..
Put new skis on and carbides, and put all your suspension back to its stock settings and try that..
I put my stock skis on the other day, the pilots, and I thought my wear bars were missing, thats how bad the stockers are for me..
Note: I said "for me"
Some people might like there pilots..

·
TEAM YELLOW
3,779 Posts
It sounds to me like you are on the right track with your thinking. Adjust your center spring/ shock by cranking it down adding more pressure to the track. This will help with the bottoming out as most of the sleds weight is concentrated in the middle of the sled. You will loose ski pressure, but your next step is to shorten your limiter straps (1 hole). This will give you back some control in your steering. Adjusting your ski springs will help in bottoming out as well but will have little affect on ski pressure. You can probably lower your setting on your rear torsion springs so you can get back some of the smooth ride.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Heres what worked for me, 04 800 ho adrenaline, I'm 6'5" 275 lbs. heavy rear springs with bc spacers, set on 2nd setting, center spring 1 click from stiffest, front springs set in middle,limiter straps all the way out, stock shocks,but usi px301's with power steering plates and 6" shaper bars, over 1200 miles a couple weeks ago in u.p. in powder, and some icy corners, steers great ,everywhere you turn it , it turns, steering is a little harder than stock, you might want to try different skis. good luck

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I replace my skis I plan on getting something different but for now the precisions will do. For those who think the skis are the problem listen: I am fine with the centre spring at lowest setting so it's not the skis themselves. I shortened my limiter straps last night and I will try that this afternoon and as I ride I will stop and increase the center spring pressure a notch each time. The only problem is that there is no powder around where I live. This past weekend I was on a trip and there was powder... I'll see what I can find to test though

btw, my front springs are at their stiffest and I only bottom them on the roughest terrain, mostly areas with major moguls(2 - 3 feet deep).

I shoulda got and X
... there's always next time lol

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Firstly I will speak from experience not just what i think.Those Precision
skis are junk.I had the same problem in the deep snow,they will not turn the sled.I put the Pilots on and are much better but still not perfect,my next choice was the Simmons.There is No adjustment for those skis that will help that problem.Secondly the GSX has those VR shocks and thankfully for 07 they now have gotten away from them to the regular HPG shocks for durability reasons.Those VR,s blow out in 1000 miles or less if your a big guy and or ride really hard.Thay are ment to provide a really soft buttery feeling over small choppy trails at moderate pace and they are great at that BUT if you fall into the other catagory of hard rideing,jumping and pounding through the choppy stuff they just won,t hold up.Install the better hpg shocks not the rebuildable ones as they arent worth the extra loot.I have those shocks on my Gade and after 3600 hard miles are still like new.Make sure your rear coupler blocks are thick side forward and that the rear shock is in the firm position.There are two positions.It sounds like you should have purchased an MXZ and instead of the GSX and added the other bells and whistles to it.Good luck!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are 100% correct! It's my first sled and I bought it because I liked the colours... thought they were all the same and that this was just the loaded version with all the electronic goodies lol...

I have put stiffer torsions on, X tunnel braces, full skid plate, pivot with 5" riser and renthals, inch and a half track:

All I need now is some stiffer front springs and some decent shocks and I'll have them for next year

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.