Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a service that will take our sleds across from the UP into Canada at the International Bridge or Drummond Island area? Also would like to know trail mileage from Sault St Marie to Wawa and then to Timmons , down to Sudbury and back to the Sault. Planning a Big trip and appreciate all the info/advice my fellow Dootalkers have too offer

·
Registered
167 Posts
Merles towing has sled delivery available from soo Michigan to Ontario, 906-253-0342. Going to Drummond island to cross the border can be a challenge, sometimes the snow is scarce down that way, and crossing the ice can be a tough call. I believe that the mileage from the soo to wawa is roughly 220 miles by trail. You will need to carry extra gas when you ride in Ontario, gas stops can be quite a distance between fill ups.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Merles towing has sled delivery available from soo Michigan to Ontario, 906-253-0342. Going to Drummond island to cross the border can be a challenge, sometimes the snow is scarce down that way, and crossing the ice can be a tough call. I believe that the mileage from the soo to wawa is roughly 220 miles by trail. You will need to carry extra gas when you ride in Ontario, gas stops can be quite a distance between fill ups.
Thanks for the great info GMC. I will call that number and get details. We get pretty good fuel economy with the 900 T so I am hoping that we won't need to mess with gas cans.

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts
Thanks for the great info GMC. I will call that number and get details. We get pretty good fuel economy with the 900 T so I am hoping that we won't need to mess with gas cans.
Is there a clear rpm range for best economy?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Years back when riding from the Soo to Wawa there was a place called halfway heaven, it appears to still be there although I had heard that it had closed down in the past, it may have closed and then reopened. My experience riding in that region of Canada is fuel( and anything else) stops are far apart and the trails not heavily traveled so if you run out of fuel it could be a long wait.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,093 Posts
I agree with gmc2550hd on carrying extra fuel.

The stations that used to open may be closed. I would not take the chance.

The stops are few and far between.

Don~

·
Registered
116 Posts
Halfway Haven is advertising being open again, a great spot to get a warm meal and gas between Sault and Wawa.

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts
Consistently getting 17 mpg. Riding semi aggressive . Don't know what RPM . I am not a clutch tuner so I don't monitor RPM that close.
Thx, mpg is even better. It was originally rated at up to 18 mpg, so I wonder if the 2016 can reach further with the eco mode. I'm just thinking how far it can reach between gas stops. If it can reach 180 miles on a full tank, that's quite a distance.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My wifes 2018 900 bizzard will do 18/20 with my 280lb ass on the seat in good conditions which is 180/200 miles to the tank, it will do a couple mpg better when she rides it. My 2019 XRS 900T would do 18/21 before I changed the clutching, which would be 171/199 miles per tank. After chancing the primary and secondary clutch springs my mpg was very consistant between 17/18 which would give 161/171 miles per tank. Everyone will be different but if I needed to go 180 to 200 miles, my fuel can would be on the back for sure. Even though the mpg was consistant I never plan on more than 150 miles because conditions are always changing an its better to be safe than walking or on the end of a rope.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Great thread. Definately hope to get across and ride Canada in the future.

·
Premium Member
8,093 Posts
Can you still load your sleds on the Agawa Canyon train from the Soo and take it to Hearst ?

Never mind---I just answered my own question.

I went to their website and the Snow Train that transports snowmobiles will not be running for 2019. It is currently being sold and there is no information available as to whether the new owners will continue transporting sleds.

Don~

·
Registered
304 Posts
Gas mileage isn't an issue with the new sleds. All the towns have gas in that loop. Halfway Haven will be open this year. If it wasn't, you would need to bring fuel. Distances are longer in Ontario, so definitely take fuel when you can. Don't bypass a gas station.
You can take your sleds across from Detour to Drummond Island on the ferry. If you have time and the snow is good, ride around the island. Low traffic and meticulous grooming. Last year we rode the international ice bridge from Drummond Island to St Joe Island Canada. That was quite the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
845 Posts
Gas mileage isn't an issue with the new sleds. All the towns have gas in that loop. Halfway Haven will be open this year. If it wasn't, you would need to bring fuel. Distances are longer in Ontario, so definitely take fuel when you can. Don't bypass a gas station.
You can take your sleds across from Detour to Drummond Island on the ferry. If you have time and the snow is good, ride around the island. Low traffic and meticulous grooming. Last year we rode the international ice bridge from Drummond Island to St Joe Island Canada. That was quite the experience.

I'll second that.....when the snow is good.

Very coo to ride across the lake to the border and beyond.

I wish we could count on good snow in the E-UP, and if conditions are good I look for opportunities to ride in the east, but when I book my time off I generally plan ya travel to the W-UP or QC. Both equal distant from our place.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Some friends and I are planning a ride from Drummond island to St Josephs this winter. We were on Drummond last year but didnt have the time to take the ice bridge to St Joes. What is required at St. Josephs? A passport? proof of insurance? Is there any riding on St Josephs Island. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Some friends and I are planning a ride from Drummond island to St Josephs this winter. We were on Drummond last year but didnt have the time to take the ice bridge to St Joes. What is required at St. Josephs? A passport? proof of insurance? Is there any riding on St Josephs Island. Thanks for any info.
Passport, DL, registration, and proof of insurance. Will need to buy a trail permit if you dont already have one. I'm not sure how they view riding in to buy trail permits. I've heard ok, AND not ok. We didn't plan to continue on, so we stopped at the border for a break and then returned.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts