Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wearing a pair of Sorel Pack Boots and putting my gaiters over them. Feet stay dry and warm. Have not really ran into any issues except for the one day I tried going without the gaiters....bottom filled up with snow when I stepped off the sled to dig out of a hole I was stuck in. Won't do that again.

Yesterday I swung into the Doo dealer to pickup some oil and saw the Klim boots. They peaqued my interest. Of ocurse they did not have my size. But when I saw the price tag my jaw dropped. I paid over 300 bucks for my hunting boots but that is because I spend all day climbing rim rock mountains and I need that extra support for the ankles and balls of my feet.

What makes these boots worth 300 bucks? Talk me into it. They doo look cool. Lol

Nate

·
Registered
46 Posts
Go with HMK boots, best boot I have ever worn, and I have tried the klims. They cost less, around 250 too. Main advantage to these boots are warmth and support. I have never worn more than a cotton sock with these and have never been cold even at 20 below. The support is awesome for boondocking as it helps lock your ankes in and if you fall your less likely to get a twisted ankle.
Oh and they look sweet too, white and orange.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Well lets just say I spent $30 on a pair of Sorel type (not the big bulky ones but some compact 'less warm' ones) about 20 years ago and they're still doing fine. Of course these other ones, Klim, HMK are nice but I don't see them as necessary unless you're racing or boondocking where you need support because these have about as much support as a pair of wool socks. Then again I've ridden standing/aggresively time to time and it never crossed my mind that my ankles didn't have enough support nor did it bother anyone back in the day before all these fancy schmancy boots and I wonder how many rolled an ankle or didn't feel in control, so.....

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've been wearing Klim Radium, gore-tex boots for the past 3 seasons. They are similar to snowboarding boots as they have lots of support so cornering and jumping just feels better and is easier to do. They are not good for walking, since they are so stiff, kinda like walking in ski boots. The boots have been warm and dry but they run small so you'd wan to try them on. I don't know what retail price is, but they had a special deal for racers and I thought they were well worth the money. I've also got Sorels and they offer hardly any support compared to the Radiums.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Just buy a pair of quality boots that have a liner such as Gortex that can breath and still keep your feet warm...I use 600 to 1000 grm boots that last me about 2 to 3 years $120 to 150 bucks...anymore than that they start to breakdown and my feet get wet then I toss them..
Now if this boot had a 5 year no leak warrenty I would buy them..lifetime would be better...
My 2

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
You are going to get the people who swear by Klim products and how great they are.

I have some Klim products. My bibs are okay, but I find I have to wash them in tech wash every dozen rides to keep the water out. My more recent Klim gloves were awesome at first. The PowerCross glove, its thinner, lightweight, waterproof and windprrof.

Well that lasted a dozen rides and now the stiching is coming out and they are no longer waterproof and I follow the care guides very close. Disapointed in a $100/pair of gloves now.

The boots, well I had a pair of Columbia Titanium's with vibram soles on clearance for $50 that were much warmer and more waterproof than the Klims I had. I picked up the Klims at a discounted price as well, but even at $200 I preffered my Columbias.

Some people need to justify the reason they spent so much on gear and will swear that its the best product ever because of that reason. And not everyone is going to be happy with just one product either.

If you can get the boots at a discounted price, they are good boots. I don't have anything that I would say is the best, but I must just be one of those hard to please people that expects a product to last a six month riding season.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
ive had good luck with baffin boots, cabellas thicker winter boots, and a few other brands. I payed less that 100$ for each of those and never had any problems other than getting too small(im a teen still growing).

·
Registered
195 Posts
I bought Klim boots after my second ride this year. These are the best boots I have ever owned, my feet are always dry and warm. I was tired of my Sorels getting wet and having to replace the liner every two years.
My son has a pair of HMK boots and I like them as well except they are bulkier. Having a 01 chassis my feet would get stuck in the footrest.
I look at the $250 as an investment, if I have them for 10 years it is only $25/year.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Army paratrooper boots. Two layers of solid rubber with a layer of wool between them. $40 at a surplus store, 100% water proof and warm, all of my friends sport them now to.

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,666 Posts
Been using the Klim Adrenaline's when they first came out and have worked very well for me, as I've always had sweaty type of feet. Not as "beefy" as some of the other Klim models they have now but not as pricey either as they list @ $189.99 in their catalog and got mine for less.

-Grover

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I have always worn Kamik, they are about $60 at Gander Mtn or other outdoor type stores. Liners pull out never been cold. Also good socks, no cotton.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
What makes these boots worth 300 bucks?
The fact that many, many people will pay that much for them. If people didn't, they wouldn't cost $300.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Goretex is light, waterPROOF and breathable. All the technical outdoor gear uses goretex (or related material) for a reason. I have never been disappointed with goretex products, but I have with non-goretex. I wish there were other options with snowmobile gear outside of KLIM. I have been slowly replacing my worn out stuff with KLIM and really do like the goretex for when things start getting warm and slushy. Getting wet (from sweat, rain or snow - doesn't matter) is one of the worst things that can happen to you when you are out in the cold.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Just buy a pair of quality boots that have a liner such as Gortex that can breath and still keep your feet warm...I use 600 to 1000 grm boots that last me about 2 to 3 years $120 to 150 bucks...anymore than that they start to breakdown and my feet get wet then I toss them..
Now if this boot had a 5 year no leak warrenty I would buy them..lifetime would be better...
My 2
Ha ha I have a pair of leather Rocky's that are gortex lined... think they cost me like $87; 6 or 7 years ago 400 grams thinsulate and they are still waterproof. Wear them every weekend sledding, need new laces but still going. A year ago, I bought a new pair, could not find the exact same boot; as the new ones have 600 grams thinsulate and I have worn them a couple of rides to break them in... now they just sit in my gear bag until the day my old ones start leaking.

Personally, I have tried the Klim boots and they are too constraining or confining for me; gave them to my son who still uses them. I am too old school for snowboard or ski type boots.

As stated above.... gortex lining is key.

·
My keyboard expels profanity
4,296 Posts
Ive worn Adiddas running shoes under a pair of Neos over boots for years. I will NEVER go back.

My feet never get so warm that they sweat and theres plenty there to keep them warm and dry. Not to mention that you can take them off when you get to a "pit stop" and just wear the shoes.

Best thing Ive ever done as far as gear is concerned.

Neos,
Buffy

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have worn a good ol pair of hunting boots for years just treat them once and a while and they have always been warm and dry. not big and bulky

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Goretex is amazing material but it does get a lot of hype. And in my opinnion it isn't the most durable stuff. When I spend $ on expensive stuff Durability has to be a key attribute.

last year I paid $140 (off season summer pricing, reg was 250 or somthing like that) on a pair of 2010 thirtytwo team boots. They are snowboard boots, but the are as light as my shoes, and I have never worn anything warmer than these. These boots are incredibly light and warm (I've ice fished in these for half day outside and my feet were never cold) and very water resistant (I fell through a swamp in the ice, boots were soaked but my feet were dry).

I'm pretty sure they use an Intuition liner which is the same as HMK boots. If I could afford the HMK team boots I would buy them, they look awesome and I've heard nothing but good things about them!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Army paratrooper boots. Two layers of solid rubber with a layer of wool between them. $40 at a surplus store, 100% water proof and warm, all of my friends sport them now to.
We call those Bunny Boots. The absolute best boot out there for warmth. I would not waste my money on Sorrells, Klims are good, Am not familiar with the HMK boots. As far as the cost goes, All it takes is one time getting cold, life or death cold, or wet, and the cost of the gear doesnt seem as important. But the climate dictates the gear, But I would never skrimp on gear.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
We call those Bunny Boots. The absolute best boot out there for warmth. I would not waste my money on Sorrells, Klims are good, Am not familiar with the HMK boots. As far as the cost goes, All it takes is one time getting cold, life or death cold, or wet, and the cost of the gear doesnt seem as important. But the climate dictates the gear, But I would never skrimp on gear.
Agreed! Being cold sucks, period.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts