Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well my 04 was apart and checked the rings and sure enough they are shot.
So I take into dealer close by, Blue Sky Marine.
Well they tear it down and sure enough rings are toast.
Then mechanic calls me and says pistons are scuffed bad,so I sait its got 2nd year warrantee replace them.
He says ok but they are not covered.

WHY? because I dont have Bombi oil in it.
I run Amsoil Itercepter oli.
FAR exceeds the requirementsof Bombi and dont stink either.

I call other dealer where I was going to take it , but Im busy in my shop and didnt have time to drive it to them ( Now Im upset).Thyey said that Bombi has to prove the oil did the damage, and he says they wont try.
I am very pizzed now, I am really looking at Yammies now that Apex looks real good as of now.
I was all set to order a 06 Mach X but not now.
I am going get a set of pistons in next week from Cudney and replace them myself.

BRP here this is for you

·
www.kalcoinspections.com
3,186 Posts
As long as you used oil with proper ratings BRP has to cover it. Its the LAW.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes so I was told by other like Bill Cudney included.
Other dealers say the same, Put it this way Im going to put it inot Small claims court next week after I get sled back.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok point taken but now doo you think I can take to other dealer and have them replace the slugs?
Or will it be on the blacklist now from dealer?

·
FAQ man
3,848 Posts
Who actually turned down the warranty work?? The dealer or BRP??

If it was the dealer, I would definately try another!

If it was BRP I would still try another!

Jerry C.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
They have to stand behind it, it is the "magnusson- moss" act. This states" a manufacturer's standard warrenty cannot be tied to the use of a specific product, such as oil, unless it can be clearly proven that no such product exists on the open market. It does note a clause though. " an extended warrenty, being a contract between manufacturer and user , is a different matter". hope this helps.

·
Registered
565 Posts
waxman said:
They have to stand behind it, it is the "magnusson- moss" act. This states" a manufacturer's standard warrenty cannot be tied to the use of a specific product, such as oil, unless it can be clearly proven that no such product exists on the open market. It does note a clause though. " an extended warrenty, being a contract between manufacturer and user , is a different matter". hope this helps.
[snapback]310106[/snapback]​
Waxman is correct. I run Fixed Operations for 2 car dealerships, they cannot deny a warranty claim based upon the use of aftermarket parts, devices, or fluids *unless* they can prove that they caused a failure. And the burden of proof is within the factory. Trust me, I see it all day long.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think you should call Amsoil with the specifics. I'm sure they would like to know what is going on and their pockets are a little deeper than most of ours. And they will surely not pay for an engine that was damaged due to poor design and not poor lubrication.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
sorry to hear your f'ed but what did yo expect?

As long as you used oil with proper ratings BRP has to cover it. Its the LAW.
first of all that is not true, it has to be an equal oil that meets BRPs specifications, as of the end of last season I know there were none-

Trust me, I see it all day long.
trust me, this is not the auto industry and the same rules do not apply- when sled sales top 14 million a year they will be regulated like the auto industry-

they told you up front (its in the manual) that only BRP oils were approved... so you could have decided not to buy doo if it was that big a deal...

of course you can fight them, but what did you gain by not taking their advice... ? I have been saying all along use OEM oil... if nothing else it is just as good (probably better) than cheap oil and you prevent warranty issues...

but hey pay a lawyer...
(I just had to...)

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had an '03 and '04 600 and used skidoo specified oil in both. Guess what, dealer warrntied pistons and rings in both. I don't think the oil had anything to do with it. BRP knows it. Find another dealer after making some "adjustments" to your sled. Leave the lawyers out of it. Heres what your dealer gets

·
Registered
0 Posts
The dealer sounds like a JACKASS! I won't mention any names here, but someone very close to me
seized a cylinder last year using Blue Marble oil and his dealer covered the warranty no questions asked and he knew that it wasn't Bombardier oil in the sled because he was told it was Blue Marble. BRP wouldn't know if you were using Amsoil or not unless the dealer told them and besides my dealer told me that he would never refuse warranty claims based on oil just as long as it was a quality oil and even then if you bought the sled from them they would do any and everything posible to take care of the problem. You have a dealer problem not a manufacturer problem!

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
This is a dealer issue, as in, he doesn't want to confront BRP, has no pull with them, or they are just trying to hose you. Have them pack it up and take it down the road. Get a good relationship with a single strong dealer, even if you have to drive another 50 miles. You'll be well taken care of.

BRP oil is made by Castrol. It's not some secret elixir. It is way overpriced, has a crappy pour point, and stinks. BRP, and certain dealers, are intimidating consumers to line their own pockets. It's called fleecing the customer, right out of the automotive service department manual. Get a decent dealer offline, and they'd be happy to tell you they'd rather sell third party, independent oils, if it wouldn't jeopardize their dealerships.

In the US, they can't do this, as the above posts spell out. If the 2nd year warranty is offered by the OEM, not a third party, the test doesn't even apply. This dog won't hunt in America.

·
Registered
642 Posts
800XRev said:
Well my 04 was apart and checked the rings and sure enough they are shot.
So I take into dealer close by, Blue Sky Marine.
Well they tear it down and sure enough rings are toast.
Then mechanic calls me and says pistons are scuffed bad,so I sait its got 2nd year warrantee replace them.
He says ok but they are not covered.

WHY? because I dont have Bombi oil in it.
I run Amsoil Itercepter oli.
FAR exceeds the requirementsof Bombi and dont stink either.

I call other dealer where I was going to take it , but Im busy in my shop and didnt have time to drive it to them ( Now Im upset).Thyey said that Bombi has to prove the oil did the damage, and he says they wont try.
And agianst my better jugement too it to the closer dealer and they are screwing me bad.
I am very pizzed now, I am really looking at Yammies now that Apex looks real good as of now.
I was all set to order a 06 Mach X but not now.
I am going get a set of pistons in next week from Cudney and replace them myself.

BRP here this is for you

[snapback]309985[/snapback]​
sounds like a crooked dealer to me. he probably will still put your claim through with brp and get it anyways. oil caused failure is not the prob. its the shi&&y rings the o4s had maybe. so he'll gouge you for the parts and labour, and then put the scene through brp and get paid AGAIN.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.