Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I picked-up this Bombardier Carry-Boose back in December and decided to restore it to its original Moto-ski Orange color.

This is what I started with.

Someone painted it black and now the paint is falling off and looking very crappy.

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Removing the old black paint has been a pain and took me over 20 hrs!

Once removed the texture of the orange plastic isn't quite as smooth & shiny as was originally but the best I can do unless I get it painted.

The bottom half:

IMG_0032.JPG

The top half:

IMG_0043.JPG

The two together:

IMG_0051.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Attachments

Reactions: Elan Dude

·
Registered
541 Posts
Cool! Do you think you could polish the plastic back up to a shine? Maybe a little wet-sand with 2000 grit before polishing?

Those look like Elan skis under it?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

Now on to the frame part!

More pics later.

Attachments

·
Registered
760 Posts
I'm so jealous! I would love to get a black or yellow carryboose to pull behind my Nordik. Hardly ever see them here in MI, and when I do they're usually cracked and all beat to hell. Looking great!

Reactions: Old Sled Nut

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Removing the old black paint has been a pain and took me over 20 hrs!
Once removed the texture of the orange plastic isn't quite as smooth & shiny as was originally but the best I can do unless I get it painted.
The bottom half:
attachicon.gif
IMG_0032.JPG

The top half:
attachicon.gif
IMG_0043.JPG

The two together:
attachicon.gif
IMG_0051.JPG
Actually, I don't think the outside of the body is smooth like the inside. At least the one I have is kind of textured on the outside and smooth inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool! Do you think you could polish the plastic back up to a shine? Maybe a little wet-sand with 2000 grit before polishing?

Those look like Elan skis under it?
I tried a few different things and nothing worked overly well.

I took it to a body shop to buff a small area and he used the same procedure as used to buff faded plastic car headlights. The area he did turned out barely OK but he recommended painting it.

There are some plastic polishes that I will try later.

Yes, Elan skis.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, I don't think the outside of the body is smooth like the inside. At least the one I have is kind of textured on the outside and smooth inside.
Perhaps this may be why I am having a hard job to get a nice finish to it?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had to do a little welding then painting to the frame part.

IMG_0076.JPG

Frame assembled and ready for the top.

IMG_0092.JPG

Attachments

·
Banned
697 Posts
Have you tried a heat gun? Works wonders on faded plastic (Sea-Doos, etc.). Surface must be CLEAN. The trick is to just heat the surface to the melting point, and keep moving. When you do it right, it looks almost like you're painting the surface. But it leaves the correct color, and a shiny surface. I can't tell from your photos, but worth a shot. Try a spot on the underside and see if you're happy with it.

I tried a few different things and nothing worked overly well.
I took it to a body shop to buff a small area and he used the same procedure as used to buff faded plastic car headlights. The area he did turned out barely OK but he recommended painting it.
There are some plastic polishes that I will try later.
Yes, Elan skis.

·
Banned
697 Posts
Now that is a great idea. I wonder what it would cost to make up 20 or so? I'm in.

And the cool thing about the Carry-Boose, is it still looks modern. And would look good behind a modern sled too.

Looks good, to bad you couldn't make some molds from them before the restore, I would think People would like to have something like that today. Would look better in Doo Yellow though. :)

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Do these Carry Boose actually pull good behind a Sled with that short of hitch? I can see many use's for them from hunting, Ice Fishing, to carrying firewood, maybe attach a Seat inside for kids, hauling supplies, etc.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Do these Carry Boose actually pull good behind a Sled with that short of hitch? I can see many use's for them from hunting, Ice Fishing, to carrying firewood, maybe attach a Seat inside for kids, hauling supplies, etc.
I'm not sure. I've never pulled it. A friend gave it to me and I've never used it.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you tried a heat gun? Works wonders on faded plastic (Sea-Doos, etc.). Surface must be CLEAN. The trick is to just heat the surface to the melting point, and keep moving. When you do it right, it looks almost like you're painting the surface. But it leaves the correct color, and a shiny surface. I can't tell from your photos, but worth a shot. Try a spot on the underside and see if you're happy with it.
I tried a propane torch briefly with minor effect but a heat gun would be much more user friendly.

It is worth a try, thanks.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have not towed one before but got a heads up recently from a person who has.

He claims they are light and will tip over if you aren't careful in rough terrain.

The box part is made from plastic and not really suited for carrying heavy loads and with the hinged cover not good for hauling kids.

There is a sticker inside warning "For cargo use only."

1 - 20 of 35 Posts