Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you believe this??? I just watched 20 minutes of bombardier being sued on court tv because a 12 year old girl died in 1999 while riding a sea doo and hitting a dock. They're making a big deal out of the craft not having a sticker saying people under 16 shouldn't ride them. At issue too, was how the craft lost steering unless the driver was on the throttle (pre OPAS days). The girls mom even told the girl not to drive it the day she died. Has common sense gone out the window of not learning how to operate something before you ride it. I only bring this up because the waverunner/jet-ski is the babysitter on the lake I live on every summer day. 10-15 year olds on sea doo xp's. Then mom and dad sue the manufacturer when something happens. Bombardier settled for an undisclosed sum, so they're lawyer thought they would have lost. Remember this when we pay for that next vehicle.

·
Hurry, pull my string again!
2,181 Posts
parent's fault for leaving the key/lanyard on the craft. i hope they lose. i have seen numerous posts about that kind of thing on the Sea-Doo forms I'm on. dumb "edit for bad language" rich morons who don't care to spend enough effort watching and/or teaching their kids.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i just saw this on tv too, i looked it up online, i guess what happened was that the daughter was staying with the mothers cooworker whose son had the watercraft and after "supposedly" teaching the girls how to ride it set her lose. how stupid are people? why would you allow a 12 year old girl to ride something like that by herself? and why is something like this even allowed in court? i dont think that a sticker would have made any difference, im sure she wouldnt even have read them. and lastly how could someone pursue money in justification of the death of a family member? i dont think that sea doo should be held close to accountable. total BS, sorry for the rant but these kind of lawsuits are ridiculous and make me soo "edit for bad language".

·
Registered
314 Posts
yea i'm sad to say i saw that two. it was a terrible deal, but to sue brp i thought was stupid untill i heard the outcome. next time i reck my sled i'll go after them because they will freak and settle. now i know why part of the reason new sleds are so expensive. got to pay brp's legal expenses!

·
Premium Member
11,601 Posts
Lawyers #1 question.

Who has the deepest pockets?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Uh oh, I better put the warning stickers back on my sled so a 12 year old doesn't steal it, wreck, then sue me for everything I got b/c s/he didn't know it was dangerous.

People who are retarded enough to sue for that should be kicked in the sac.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
I agree too MANY law suits and its NOT THE LAWYERS fault, or at least not ALL their fault... is the dumb "edit for bad language" jurys that make the HUGE awards. Many are just to dumb to understand who they are actually punishing!

punitive law suits have their place but not to replace common sense... its what happened to 3-wheelers law suits got things changed… those things were death traps.. but I had one and loved it…

and just as an aside-

was on the throttle (pre OPAS days).
OPAS really does very little, unfortunatly

the problem with sea-doos is they are DIRECT DRIVE there is NO NEUTRAL (and a blocking gate is NOT neutral) and it causes problems for many... in a boat you use reverse and neutral to control at slkow speeds in a sea-doo reverse is not "reverse" but just a deflection of the jet and it does not work like reverse in a boat… (it is better than nothing though) to be honest a better system could be be designed… at least a way to decouple the drive at the dock or when coming to the dock would prevent MANY accidents-

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
i think this is why
yamaha stopped making
the snoscoot
stupid parents with greedy lawyers

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
This happens all the time, I remember reading about a woman who was sleeping in the passenger seat of a minivan with the seat reclined all the way down and they got in an accident and she got paralized from the neck down. She sued ford and won a multi million dollar settlement for her own stupidity.

·
Registered
151 Posts
That's it! I'm suing DOOTalk because there's no warning on here about it becoming addictive.

Could you imagine being a judge and having to sit there and listen to that BS every day, and then make a ruling that goes against every ounce of common sense?

If there was any real justice - that parent ought to be brought up on child neglect charges.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I think that happened here in central Maine. The Sea-doo/Ski-Doo/Marine dealer gave up selling Sea-Doos beacuse of this accident.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts