Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys - I need some adcive...

The problem:

- Started after a brief shut down to enjoy the sites
- Idles great - no change
- misses and dies after clutch engagement 90% of time
- misses and dies within 20 seconds 100% of time
- runs better with choke on first notch, but will flood out at idle

I've checked and replaced plugs, everything appears normal. The machine ran warm to hot for the last 4 or 5 hours before this happened - could be bad snow. In heavy deep snow, it ran cool.

Opinions? ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Check carb float level adjustment, remove jets and clen until you see light thru the little holes (spotless) clean the rest of carb the same way. Adjust air screws per spec. Also, replace spark plugs, make sure they are gapped correctly, and make sure the plug boots are fitting securely on top of the plugs.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Thanks mbret - other than remove and clean the carbs, I've done what you've suggested. I could only do so much trail side..

I'm worried, cause the problem just happened all of a sudden...

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
102 Posts
700GSE said:
Thanks mbret - other than remove and clean the carbs, I've done what you've suggested. I could only do so much trail side..

I'm worried, cause the problem just happened all of a sudden...

Any other suggestions?
[snapback]754780[/snapback]​
I agree with the carb disg and cleaning, however Id be suspect of compression such as bad / broken ring.
Id also check ign wire resistance, and coil performance as weak ignition will expose itself under load and perform normally at idle.
If all were to check out on the above maybe itd be time to check reeds, but I wouldnt rule out a DESS issue where as when poor contact is made or a incorrect signal happens it wont rev to engagement rpm's I have the same sled and although your problem is abit different I did have a corrosion issue w/ DESS at the beginning of the season, and couldnt get beyond 3500 RPMs but idle was fine and the warning indicator never blinked or lit up. Just by chance I cleaned the post and element and was back up and running.
I have a service manual for this sled, so If you want PM me or post the results of compression, ign resistance, coil output, etc and if you need some specs etc from the shop manual I can email to you as an attachment. Good luck!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks wooza - I did a trail-side check of the plugs/wires/caps/DESS/compression - All seemed OK...

Now I've yet to haul in the garage and check everything thouroughly...

What I suspect:

main seal - but it idle's ok?!?!
fuel pump - but it runs better with choke (more fuel)
dirty carb - but it feels like the whole motor is crappin' out, not just one side.
electronic - but it runs better with choke

More ideas?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had a similar prob this fall, A broken reed petal was causing gas to pool up in the reed cage and flood out the engine

·
Registered
102 Posts
700GSE said:
Thanks wooza - I did a trail-side check of the plugs/wires/caps/DESS/compression - All seemed OK...

Now I've yet to haul in the garage and check everything thouroughly...

What I suspect:

main seal - but it idle's ok?!?!
fuel pump - but it runs better with choke (more fuel)
dirty carb - but it feels like the whole motor is crappin' out, not just one side.
electronic - but it runs better with choke

More ideas?
[snapback]754830[/snapback]​
Hi again,
Im in agreement that most likely not a seal, as it would affect just 1 side. I do agree with the inspection of the reeds. That would explain choke issue, as well as fouling if choke left on extended.
Fuel pump or restricted fuel flow is certainley an issue that needs attention, whether clogged in tank filter, weak pump pressure etc.
I would try to start maintain idle then as you give throttle (put under load) as it starts to act up spray a small amnt of brake cleaner / starting fluid etc in the air box and see if that will allow it to engage and handle the load. If so Id be convinced of a fuel flow issue something common to both sides such as fuel pressure / flow.
If it makes no diifference or makes it hog up Id be apt to recheck ignition system. A adustable spark tester would be a wise 10.00 investment at the parts store if you need to diag ignition. You can close the gap to .020" and connect to plug wire at the plug and make sure strong blue spark, and wind the gap to check coil and make sure strong blue spark. Coild should put out aprox 10-20KV. If its weak itll show up on that test (yellow spark instead of blue). Also if ignition is suspect Id make sure resistance is in spec on each plug wire from coil to plug end. I believe spec would be 5-10K ohms.
Ill recheck that and give you a more accurate spec if needed. Good luck!

·
Registered
102 Posts
700GSE said:
Right on - all good stuff... Keep it comin'!
[snapback]754936[/snapback]​
No prob, let me know how youre doing and any results you might get and Ill help in any way I can. If you need service manual info just ask & Ill get it to you via email. My email is [email protected], so use that if needed. Again Good Luck!

By the way how long after it running hot did this issue start? Did it run good for awhile after the hot spell, or did this start right after? If right after I may be apt to think a ring / compression issue, but only a gauged compression test will tell for sure.
5 full pulls at wide open throttle no more than 10% differential between cylinders. If the test shows low compression say 110 or under (95 and under is where Id start to worry) squirt a lil 5/30 motor oil and retest. If substatial incease 20 - 25% or more rings would be needed.
I still think low fuel flow or weak spark, so do some of the previous tests and keep me posted!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm almost certain it's not compression, but I'll double-check!

Thre machine ran hot the night before (poor snow conditions - may or may not be related) and ran warm yesterday (before it puked)... It was running great, then I pulled into the clubhouse, sat for about 10 minutes and restarted it as usual. Hit the throttle gently (as always for first half-mile after brief shut down) the when I gave 'er a little more, it faded away... I let go of the throttle, feathered it a couple of times - seemed fine... let it idle - no issues. Tried to get going again, and floundered again. That's when I stopped and lifted the hood. Changed plugs, checked everything twice - nothing wrong... Started it again - idled fine. Went to move it, seemed better... after 5000 rpm however, blahhhhhh... My buddy suggested to try chocking it while it did this and it picked right up... but I continued to on/off/on/off the throttle just to be sure... problem is when I'd let it go too low in the rpms, I could tell it was loading up on fuel, and gonna foul so we stopped, and pulled out the tow rope (my first time being towed on this machine ever!)

Ideas?

·
Registered
102 Posts
700GSE said:
I'm almost certain it's not compression, but I'll double-check!

Thre machine ran hot the night before (poor snow conditions - may or may not be related) and ran warm yesterday (before it puked)... It was running great, then I pulled into the clubhouse, sat for about 10 minutes and restarted it as usual. Hit the throttle gently (as always for first half-mile after brief shut down) the when I gave 'er a little more, it faded away... I let go of the throttle, feathered it a couple of times - seemed fine... let it idle - no issues. Tried to get going again, and floundered again. That's when I stopped and lifted the hood. Changed plugs, checked everything twice - nothing wrong... Started it again - idled fine. Went to move it, seemed better... after 5000 rpm however, blahhhhhh... My buddy suggested to try chocking it while it did this and it picked right up... but I continued to on/off/on/off the throttle just to be sure... problem is when I'd let it go too low in the rpms, I could tell it was loading up on fuel, and gonna foul so we stopped, and pulled out the tow rope (my first time being towed on this machine ever!)

Ideas?
[snapback]755013[/snapback]​
Ideas?.... Just the ones Ive suggested. Let me know how they work out, and we'll go from there. Cant have you being towed especially by a poo! Yikes

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know - I've towed my fair share of sleds, mostly poos, so I'm due I guess. Still, the perfect records been destroyed now that I've been towed.

I have a manual BTW - thanks, I'll keep ya posted
P

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You know - that makes sense - total sense. The mag side carb is making a weird mechanical sound... Hmmmm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts