Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer helped me install a Cudney clutch kit for an 04 800X. I havent had a chance to test it in a field or lake, but when I took it off the trailor, I ran it up my road a couple times. It seemed fine going down the road, and for the few seconds I could whack it and look at the tach it was at 8k. Pulling into my driveway, giving it just enough throttle to move forward, I whacked it and it bogged for a second. I did it a couple more times like that and it kept bogging.

I'm going to test it some more tonight to get a better idea of what its doing before I call Bill, but I thought I'd check on here real quick if anyone had any ideas of something to look for.

thanks
Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Eric Larson said:
My dealer helped me install a Cudney clutch kit for an 04 800X. I havent had a chance to test it in a field or lake, but when I took it off the trailor, I ran it up my road a couple times. It seemed fine going down the road, and for the few seconds I could whack it and look at the tach it was at 8k. Pulling into my driveway, giving it just enough throttle to move forward, I whacked it and it bogged for a second. I did it a couple more times like that and it kept bogging.

I'm going to test it some more tonight to get a better idea of what its doing before I call Bill, but I thought I'd check on here real quick if anyone had any ideas of something to look for.

thanks
Eric
[snapback]275638[/snapback]​
I would definitely check your rings. If the motor isn't at its full strength, you'll have problems with the clutch kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been questiong my rings and planning to change them in the next week or so, but it's been running great. It didnt bog at all before the kit.

I need to pull the raves off and look for flaking

Eric

reven-up-yours said:
Eric Larson said:
My dealer helped me install a Cudney clutch kit for an 04 800X. I havent had a chance to test it in a field or lake, but when I took it off the trailor, I ran it up my road a couple times. It seemed fine going down the road, and for the few seconds I could whack it and look at the tach it was at 8k. Pulling into my driveway, giving it just enough throttle to move forward, I whacked it and it bogged for a second. I did it a couple more times like that and it kept bogging.

I'm going to test it some more tonight to get a better idea of what its doing before I call Bill, but I thought I'd check on here real quick if anyone had any ideas of something to look for.

thanks
Eric
[snapback]275638[/snapback]​
I would definitely check your rings. If the motor isn't at its full strength, you'll have problems with the clutch kit.
[snapback]275679[/snapback]​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
686 Posts
It's more than likely because you are loading the motor because of the hook up that the track is getting, my sled does this when i hook really good also. An easy fix is to soften your center spring just a bit for less weight transfer or you can go up a size on your pilot jets to feed the motor more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,667 Posts
One thing that will make it bog taking off is the belt deflection make sure that it is tight, if you can grab the belt between the tow clutches and pull it towards the secondary and it slides around it's too loose. -- Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Question for Bill, how would you correct this problem? Just checked mine and I could easily pull the belt back.. belt is riding about a 1/8 of inch up in secondary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,667 Posts
The adjustment is the three bolts on the side of the secondary numbered 1 to 6 with 1 being the loosest and 6 being the tightess. In a lot of these secondaries there are 2 washers and they won't close all the way if yours has 2 washers then remove one and it will allow the secondary to close all of the way and if you can't get the belt tight enough then either the belt is worn too thin or the belt is too long, too long sometimes is created by center to center distance being too close. Measure a new belt outside dimension and look for one closest to 44". -- Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,292 Posts
ebby69k said:
But his belt is already riding 1/8 above the secondary?
[snapback]276928[/snapback]​
Then as Bill stated.....the belt is probably TOO LONG.
Measure them before you buy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
here's the update:

I measured the belt, its 44 1/8". I can grab the belt and pull it towards the primary. Not easy, but it will slide if you wiggle it a little. I tightened the adjusters from 3.5 to 4.5.

I also put in some EYA plugs. No bog at all on a test ride.

Yesterday I rode 130 miles. After 10, I could smell belt. The belt was sitting way to high on the secondary, so I put it back to around 3.5. Still no bog.

I think I need rings, anways. On a plowed road, I could pin it and it'd hit 8k and stay. On a groomed trail, it'd hit 8k, then drop below 7500. I was never able to hold it long enough anywhere to see if it'd climb back up. A couple times it held 8k. Going 50 mph, then pinning it, it'd hit 7300-7500 and stay.

Kit is installed with 19.2 grams of weight and clickers on 3. I'm going to call Bill monday morning to talk to him and order some rings.

thanks
Eric

11c said:
ebby69k said:
But his belt is already riding 1/8 above the secondary?
[snapback]276928[/snapback]​
Then as Bill stated.....the belt is probably TOO LONG.
Measure them before you buy.
[snapback]277660[/snapback]​
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top