Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Went riding today; outside temp. about 30 or so. Going down the trail and looked at my temp. guage and it was in the red. I instantly shut it down and waited a while and took off again and it stayed about 2/3 the way up. It was okay for a while and then we started up a hill in the woods(low snow) and it came back up. Cooled it back down and set out again and kept a close eye on it. I looked down and it was about 2/3 the way up; then I looked down about 2 minutes later and it was pegged. And I mean above the highest mark. I waited about one minute and started it up and it idled fine and was back at 2/3.
Stopped for a while at the local watering hole and let it cool down completely. Then rode it all the way back home(about 2.5 hrs. at about 45 degrees out) and while I was riding it was fine(2/3 the way up), then it spiked again instantly. I said [email protected]#k it I gonna ride it out. Then it came back down to normal. I didn't have another problem until we went up a hill and it did it one more time and thats it. When this happens I can take the cap off the reservoir with no problem. It's not steaming or boiling over and I can stick my finger right inside without getting burned even though you can't dip it in the antifreeze because of the plastic in the way.

Coolers were working, I felt them and they were nice and warm. Could I have an air bubble in the system. I just had my rings done about 100 miles ago but didn't notice it because it was 20 below zero when I rode those 100. An old timer said it was the thermostat. Or is the guage malfunctioning? Maybe the cap?

Kinda leaning towards air bubble. I never had a problem until I had my rings done. Or is it the thermostat? I heard that it's like a two stage or something for better warm ups.

·
Straight out a Compton!
4,065 Posts
I have a beatiful 2001 mxzx 600 that never over heats even grass draging that we can trade even up. Can't pass this deal up.Pm me if interested.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BlairM7c47c said:
I have a beatiful 2001 mxzx 600 that never over heats even grass draging that we can trade even up. Can't pass this deal up.Pm me if interested.
[snapback]300690[/snapback]​
Real funny. I should buy it back. I never had a single problem with that sled.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
maybe you have a bad sensor in the head. You did change it when you added the gauge right?

·
Registered
392 Posts
SET YOUR SLED ON AN UPHILL ANGLE SO THE MOTOR IS HIGHER THAN THE TRACK AND START UP TILL HEAT EXCHANGERS ARE WARM AND IT WILL FLUSH AIR BUBBLE OUT. IF THAT DOES NOT WORK PUT A NEW THERMOSTAT IN IT. I JUST DID MY THERMOSTAT IN 03 600 AND MY BUDDIES IN 03 BLAIR MORGAN, I THINK THEY HAD BAD THERMOSTATS IN 03.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
skidoo said:
maybe you have a bad sensor in the head. You did change it when you added the gauge right?
[snapback]300726[/snapback]​
Yes I did change the sensor; came with the kit.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
liquid said:
SET YOUR SLED ON AN UPHILL ANGLE SO THE MOTOR IS HIGHER THAN THE TRACK AND START UP TILL HEAT EXCHANGERS ARE WARM AND IT WILL FLUSH AIR BUBBLE OUT. IF THAT DOES NOT WORK PUT A NEW THERMOSTAT IN IT. I JUST DID MY THERMOSTAT IN 03 600 AND MY BUDDIES IN 03 BLAIR MORGAN, I THINK THEY HAD BAD THERMOSTATS IN 03.
[snapback]300733[/snapback]​
I said the heck with it and bought a new thermostat for $24.99. I'll try that and bleed it out and see where it gets me. Won't be able to tell for a while. We will be done for snow here after the next three days of rain and 40 degree weather. Sux

1 - 8 of 8 Posts