Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 81 7500 plus and have a question about the oil tank and rotary valve. The tank has two lines, one to the bottom of the motor and then a return line from the motor to the oil tank. My question is should oil constantly be returning to the oil tank from the upper line?

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DaytonaTurbo said:
My Everest has the same thing. When mine's working right it's circulating the oil, and the oil level never goes down.
[snapback]686771[/snapback]​
On mine the oil comes up about 3/4 of the way on the return line them stops. Is this lubricating the crank of the motor or just the rotary valve itself? Anyone have any tips on getting the oil flowing back through the return line?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
this is just rotary lube.
do you have a level in the tank?
if not, add some 2 stroke mixing oil.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Its not meant to circulate the oil, all it does is prvide a chamber of oil to lube the RV/waterpump shaft/brgs/gears. if you have to fill the bottle more than 1 time every couple of seasons, then you probably need new seals, it shouldnt use any oil at all.

·
Registered
234 Posts
modtodd82 said:
Its not meant to circulate the oil, all it does is prvide a chamber of oil to lube the RV/waterpump shaft/brgs/gears. if you have to fill the bottle more than 1 time every couple of seasons, then you probably need new seals, it shouldnt use any oil at all.
[snapback]708958[/snapback]​
If you go back and look at the history of the rotary valve motors in consumer sleds, the first was the '75 245 rv (excluding the '72 (no reservoir) and '73 blizzard twins used for racing). It had a small reservoir with no return line. the exit line on the carb side of the motor extended into the steering support and was plugged with a piece of filter foam; I think it was for pressure relief, and the foam was to prevent oil entering the support, or it would run down and out over the front of the tunnel and onto the belly pan. In subsequent years, a larger plastic reservoir was used with a return ine to cut down on the mess by returning any overflow to the tank. The oil bathes the rotary gear and does not circulate; as stated before, if you use any significant amount of oil over a short period, it is indicative of a leaking seal and the oil may be pooling in the bottom of the crank case or being blown out, see if you have excessivley oily pipes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.