Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I blew another track last weekend. This will be my second one on this sled. The stock 1.625 snocross track held up real good the first 2 seasons considering its tall height and 96 super long studs. The second track I bought from REV_Baron. It was on his 04 440 and it was supposed to be a better track than the 03. He had put about 800 miles on it. It looked brand new when I got it. I think he may have even Armor Alled it. I didn't stud this one because I figured the lugs were so long studs wouldn't do much. I was right for the most part except on roads.

Last weekend All the lugs on the right side except for 3-4 got ripped off. I lost a few on the left side as well. Well the hole track is delaminating because of it. I would be suprised if it lasts another weekend.

Once you have ridden a sled with a deep lug track it is hard to own anything else. The hook up is that good. I am thinking it may be a good idea to tone it down a bit. I do not want to go as low as 1.25", although that would probably work good with 96 Studs down the middle. So I am thinking of trying a 1.5" and maybe running 96 down the middle later on, like during the summer.

Which 1.5" track to buy. Nicksxr purchased the intense design camoplast for his yamaha and I have yet to see a proaction Yamaha hook up as good as his. However, now they have the 1.5" Ripsaw out. What do you think? How well does a Rip Saw do off trail?

Intense

Ripsaw

·
Registered
286 Posts
i put a camoplast hillcross/snowcross track on mine 14/121/1.5 part #04-6799900 it has stud like lugs in the middle & paddle lugs on the outside. it hooks good & never riped a lug YET.i have a 1.25 ripsaw on my srx & it seems to rip the lugs off pretty easily

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
the taller the lugs, the weaker the paddles will be, due to leverage on the ground to the track. if you trail ride with longer paddles you will lose lugs eventually. there is a trade off traction v.s reliability. the bushwackers and mountain guys get away with the longer lugs for awhile but, they too will lose lugs from hitting items under the snow. be careful with the ripsaws (1.25") it seems some people are having issues with them. ski

·
Registered
712 Posts
Ihave a 1.5 ripsaw with 700 miles on michigan trails ( low snow ) LoL.Track still looks new.Didnt get to ride in deep snow with it yet.But hooks up good on the trail.Will not stud that track.Its on a rev also.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got around to cleaning the sled up and got some pictures of my bad track. My guess low snow on plowed roads generated to much heat.

G

·
what the hell are you riding on.....to blow through so many tracks????i can see breaking lugs here and there.....but smoking a few tracks doesnt sound right.

·
G MAN
5,381 Posts
Hey Paul,

I never have that problem with mine (1.75" lugs). The key is to NOT hammer the throttle on roads! You have to take it easy until you get to the trail.

Cheers,

G

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mxz700r said:
what the hell are you riding on.....to blow through so many tracks????i can see breaking lugs here and there.....but smoking a few tracks doesnt sound right.

[snapback]699397[/snapback]​
Mostly U.P. Trails and off try boondocking. I've never been one to baby it. However, all 6 of us rode the same trails and I am the only one that even got as much as a little rip. Run em like there stolen. They make new tracks everyday.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Paul_Aris said:
mxz700r said:

Mostly U.P. Trails and off try boondocking. I've never been one to baby it. However, all 6 of us rode the same trails and I am the only one that even got as much as a little rip. Run em like there stolen. They make new tracks everyday.
[snapback]699422[/snapback]​
You guys only have to see him unload his sled.. .to know the issues... you have me chuckling for sure. We don't need no stinking ramps to unload.. Oh brother... And they definitely don't waste any time ... going down the trail.. smiling here... Randy all in good fun.

I ride a 2" lug camoplast boondocking all over michigan and I don't think I have lost a lug.. Randy, I would guess you are right about heat down a road with little snow.. Have never seen a track do that. Did the first one do that same thing and look the same?

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
djm said:
Paul_Aris said:
mxz700r said:

[snapback]699422[/snapback]​
You guys only have to see him unload his sled.. .to know the issues... you have me chuckling for sure. We don't need no stinking ramps to unload.. Oh brother... And they definitely don't waste any time ... going down the trail.. smiling here... Randy all in good fun.

I ride a 2" lug camoplast boondocking all over michigan and I don't think I have lost a lug.. Randy, I would guess you are right about heat down a road with little snow.. Have never seen a track do that. Did the first one do that same thing and look the same?
[snapback]699495[/snapback]​
No the first one did real well up until about 3000 miles when the 1.75 megabites and double diggers started to tear out. I started to loose studs and only had a few torn lugs when I finally got rid of the track. None were delaminated though like this track. No offense taken. You've ridden with me you know how much I ask of my tracks. LOL.

Later

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Well long studs.. you probably only expect the track to last a couple.. maybe three years.. before the rubber has aged enough and the studs work on them as to where they start pulling..

But this track.. it kind of looks like it might not have been cured properly.. Might send those pictures to Camoplast.. management .. and ask what happeneD???

Heh-heh. no doubt you get full use of your equipment Randy.. you don't baby it except when it is in the garage..

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
Either you stopped on a large rock and nailed the throttle or its got to be defective. How else would you loose all the paddles on one side of the track?

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
The best track that I have found to date.........is the arctic cat 15 x 121 x 1.375 available from RV sports in theif river falls for $300........lasts a LONG TIME, and is STUDDABLE, and outperforms taller tracks in MOST conditions........awesome track.

P.S. I have run SNOCROSS tracks before, and the lug rippage, and delaminating is COMMON........especially if you do any high speed running......the track gets too hot, and once it is too hot, it is WEAKENED for the rest of it's life, and the lugs start peeling off.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts