Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which tunnel protector kit do i use on a 03.5 BM ? do i use the one like i used on my 03 800x or is there a slide in protector like the old ones?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
895 Posts
JPN800 said:
which tunnel protector kit do i use on a 03.5 BM ? do i use the one like i used on my 03 800x or is there a slide in protector like the old ones?
[snapback]743541[/snapback]​
Special kit for the BM

861790600 1 inch

861785600 1.25
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Its cheaper to buy the regular kit - actually you need to buy two of them, but its still cheaper. One of the kits you need to cut in 1/2
(the rails) and use on the extended piece of the tunnel. Its not bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
895 Posts
you need the kit....

Special kit for the BM

861790600 1 inch

861785600 1.25

if you use anything but the protectors are in the wrong spot

the kit has the protectors and mounts for the protectors...

it's a job...need the strip it down to mount them...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
I hate to disagree, but you don't need the special BM kit. That is
too expensive. You can do it with two std kits and they are exactly
in the same spot. So waste your money or don't. Your choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Track is out of the sled now, so i'd rather do it wright. which way do i go? is it the same kit as a 04 and up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
there are different rads in the 03 than the 04. if you look your protectors dont go over the windows. if you put protectors in as is you will have to be very careful drilling your holes as you cant stud where you think you should be able to. what BM800 is referring to is pulling the seat and tank and installing brackets to re-position your protectors to over the windows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
I have a 2003.5 Bm800 and get the kit, this way the protectors are over the windows as they should be and you can put studs anywhere in the track without any worries!!! Its a job, but worth it in the end, as the other guys where saying, if you just slide in the protectors in to the current slot in the heat exchanger, it won't be above the track windows and stud will hit them!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
snowcowboy22 said:
Its a job, but worth it in the end, as the other guys where saying, if you just slide in the protectors in to the current slot in the heat exchanger, it won't be above the track windows and stud will hit them!!
[snapback]743822[/snapback]​
it can be done without the proper kit, you just need to makr your track first where NOT to drill. have done it, works fine, just more work to do
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
76TNTRV said:
snowcowboy22 said:
Its a job, but worth it in the end, as the other guys where saying, if you just slide in the protectors in to the current slot in the heat exchanger, it won't be above the track windows and stud will hit them!!
[snapback]743822[/snapback]​
it can be done without the proper kit, you just need to makr your track first where NOT to drill. have done it, works fine, just more work to do
[snapback]743834[/snapback]​
I guess it depends on how many studs you are running, if you are only running 144 or less then you could get away with this method, but i wanted as many scratch line as possible with the least amount of repetition, therefore I moved them(tunnel protectors) over the windows by using the kit, this allowed me to use the entire track and place studs wherever I wanted without having to leave out 2 strips on the track??? Just depends what type of riding you do, and if you are looking safety from your studs or ultimate performance??The kit is definately more expensive!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Maybe I wasn't clear and maybe things have changed since I did it.

I am not suggesting using the current tunnel slots for the protectors.

I am suggesting that you need to take the tank off, seat off, etc. and
install new rails.

BUT, you don't need to buy the kit to do it. You can get what is contained
in that kit by buying 2 std kits and have a left over rail to boot.
When I did it, the BM kit was much more expensive than 2 of the
std kits. You install the 1st kit as normal. The 2nd kit you have to cut
one of the rails and install them on the curved up tunnel. That's it.
Same stuff as in the BM kit, but less expensive.

Does that make sense??? Maybe the price has come down since 2003 and the BM kit is the same as 2 std kits. It should actually be cheaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
773 Posts
smgunning said:
Maybe I wasn't clear and maybe things have changed since I did it.

I am not suggesting using the current tunnel slots for the protectors.

I am suggesting that you need to take the tank off, seat off, etc. and
install new rails.

BUT, you don't need to buy the kit to do it. You can get what is contained
in that kit by buying 2 std kits and have a left over rail to boot.
When I did it, the BM kit was much more expensive than 2 of the
std kits. You install the 1st kit as normal. The 2nd kit you have to cut
one of the rails and install them on the curved up tunnel. That's it.
Same stuff as in the BM kit, but less expensive.

Does that make sense??? Maybe the price has come down since 2003 and the BM kit is the same as 2 std kits. It should actually be cheaper.
[snapback]743864[/snapback]​
I get what you are saying, You used 2 kits for a beaver tailed REV, My BM kit used One long solid protecter on each side, Hopefully JPN800 will price out both options, either way will work for sure!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have a 1.25" ripsaw with 144 down the middle (pre drilled) i will measure it up to see if it will not interfear, if i only slide larger protectors in the original location. If not i will buy the correct kit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yup wont work only 4.5" across the middle. i'll buy the kit (nothings easy)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i ordered the kit for the BM $77.95 thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,741 Posts
Is there any tunnel protection it for my 05 Gade with 1.75 track....I want to put studs in it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
I will admit I used a Woody'estemplate to stud and it ended up with some studs hitting the protector so i had to move a few.

The 03.5 has the protectors an inch or two in from the outside of the cooler where the 04's forward have them to the outside.

Just a heads up. And they are correct that the 03.5 has it's own kit.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top