Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to do the 880 big bore Bikeman kit this summer to my 08 800r shorty. Anyone else running this? Basically gonna set it up for drag races. Just wondering if it rips?

·
SkiDoo Guru
19,335 Posts
waste of $$ there's no meat left on a 860 cylinder with a 860 .even less with a 880 .first time it blows you''ll need a new cylinder because it will crack between the exhaust and transfer ports .at the am snow shoot out the bm 880 was slower than stk .call big john if you want a big bore ,he won't let you down ,and if you have issues he''ll stand behind his work . :wink_old:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Having owned/rode/worked on them all. I stuck with the Rkt 860. Better than any stock bore ported combo.
After 6 yrs. Reliability has never been a concern.
If a stock bore beats it......... Its not clutched even close.
All things equal. BB is ahead everytime. If not. You need a different tuner.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've ran ported motors always. Just was wondering about this 880. It's just weird that they would offer this and it doesn't perform and there name is on the line?

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
RK TEK 860 couldnt have been better to me over the past 2 years. Really am sad to see this sled go. Never lost to an 800.

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts
I've ran ported motors always. Just was wondering about this 880. It's just weird that they would offer this and it doesn't perform and there name is on the line?
Just like any other engine, it takes time and understanding to make the motor work. Guess work will leave you guessing. I hear Big John gets them to work and can help get the guess work out of the equation.

One of our locals has one with repeated failures sent out to supposedly the best sled tuner in the province of Quebec, the same guy that sets them up for the lakes races we hear next to the Cabanon with a hundred stages of tubos lol Each time I had a question for his build I was told that I needed to pay the big bucks to get the answer when all I wanted to know was the base gasket size for the new build since I had already taken the measurements with the base gasket of the failed engine. The owner was given the air/fuel to shoot for which was the dumbest thing I had ever heard. On what planet would you want to shoot for 12 AF on all rpm and load range??? The choice of base gasket and AF to shoot for cost literally thousands of dollars to get from the highest level and most revered tuner in the province of Quebec. I couldn't believe it. And that is just the tip of the iceberg. Want to guess how that engine faired??? How could it go differently then the previous builds when it still only guess work??? And yes of course there was the infamous dyno tune. Do all the dyno test you want, but if the head bolts leak coolant then it means nothing other than a poor build.

Two strokes are easy. Put them together with no leaks, give them the right amount of fuel for the air intake, set the ignition timing correctly, give them enough oil and enough cooling, give them proper clearances and don't push too much exhaust back into the cylinder. It is not rocket science.

I recently took some measurements on a MachZ 1000 SDI that I didn't believe was possible to survive, yet it has worked for multiple seasons, so who really knows??? All I know is that excessive piston slap and detonation cannot be cheated on the 880. There is simply not enough material to be mucking around with poor builds, aka guess work.

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts
You should have seen the amount of overfueling while trying to get all rpm and load ranges at 12 AF. Needless to say the needle clips was at its lowest position with spacers underneath lol Even the Wideband sensor wasn't correctly placed in the tuned pipe. The whole experience from beginning to end was completely nuts.

I know it can be done, but too many have been guessing their way through it which is a shame.

·
Premium Member
27,934 Posts
One last note, it will be 1000 times easier to make the 1000SDI work flawlessly and reliably than the 880, and arguably easier than the 800 ETEC. The RT chassis is only a few more pounds heavier than the REV and a lot stronger, 25% stronger. If you want more power, the added torque from the 1K will put the 880 to shame.

·
Vendor
4,818 Posts
depends on the 880 :cool_old:

'08 XP shorty BB is 100 lbs lighter...

860/880 TQ is at and over 120 so its not that much more...

1000s have less hp...

there is a reason why they are not around-BJ

Reactions: Jeb©
1 - 15 of 15 Posts