Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for a ride today,had a noise from the clutch area,went back to the shop and found the clutch bolt was out about 1/4 of an inch.Tried to retorque it but it broke off in the crank.Managed to get the rest of the clutch off but now what,a seized bolt in the crank that protrudes 1.5 iches.I would post pictures but I cant due to size of picture.Anybody have the bolt break off before,and how do ya post the pictures?I think I will send the whole motor to BJ.

·
Registered
639 Posts
get a small pipe wrench and turn that baby out. At least it's prodruding and not broken off flush.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wecker20 said:
get a small pipe wrench and turn that baby out. At least it's prodruding and not broken off flush.
[snapback]699489[/snapback]​
Had a three foot pipe on it and it wont go,hate to use heat but i dont see any other way.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wasy04 said:
wecker20 said:
Had a three foot pipe on it and it wont go,hate to use heat but i dont see any other way.
[snapback]699499[/snapback]​
Sure wish i could get this darn picture posted,having troubles.

·
Registered
639 Posts
ouch. pretty much have to use heat but needs to be around the bolt. I'd be a little leary of that too.

·
ammunta katselija
1,698 Posts
wasy04 said:
wasy04 said:
wecker20 said:
[snapback]699499[/snapback]​
Sure wish i could get this darn picture posted,having troubles.
[snapback]699500[/snapback]​
Did you try to tighten it first? I would try that. Go both directions, Because it started to turn out already and got stuck. Turn a little cockwise if it breakes loose then work it back and forth until it will turn all the way out. I would also lightly tap the end of it with a hammer to loosen it up. Try one thing at a time, and if nothing works then you may have to put some heat to it.

·
Big Daddy Long Stroke
2,069 Posts
Where are you located at? I may be able to help you if you are near by.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WeTDrEaM said:
Where are you located at? I may be able to help you if you are near by.
[snapback]699558[/snapback]​
Located in Canada,Manitoba,kinda a litlle ways.

·
Registered
548 Posts
No matter what you do, you will have to replace the end cap on the crank or replace the crank, I did the same thing on an 03 8X, it was under warranty. Doo put a rebuilt crank in, the threads will be srewed trying to get the bolt out. Now when I pull my clutch I clean the bolt and the crank threads and put antiseez on. Good luck and let us know how it turns out

·
Registered
102 Posts
Purchase some bees wax (natural) Use light heat ,apply bees wax next to the threads as close to the end of the crank as you can. Again use only enough heat to melt the wax the metal warms up enough to create a suction drawing the wax into thr crank threads. You can do this without runing the crank seal. take your time, use only propane in the blue bottle,Its not as hot as map gas or oxy/ace .

G

·
wasy04 said:
Went out for a ride today,had a noise from the clutch area,went back to the shop and found the clutch bolt was out about 1/4 of an inch.Tried to retorque it but it broke off in the crank.Managed to get the rest of the clutch off but now what,a seized bolt in the crank that protrudes 1.5 iches.I would post pictures but I cant due to size of picture.Anybody have the bolt break off before,and how do ya post the pictures?I think I will send the whole motor to BJ.
[snapback]699476[/snapback]​
I had the same problem last year. The primary bolt washer tends to flatten out and the bolt looses it's tension but as the clutch is shifting it starts to seperate the inner and outer sheaves and hammers on the bolt causing it to jam in the threads of the crank. I was fortunate enough that I didn't break the bolt. Use a spray lubricant ( WD -40 is a crappy lube so don't bother )and spray the it at the threads and start working the bolt back and forth. You will likely hear it make a snapping sound but keep going. Keep working it and it should come out. Only other option is to drill it out with a small drill bit and then start going bigger and bigger until you drill most of it out. Pick up a new bolt and washer and a starting and bottoming tap and re tap the crank threads after. Make sure you torque the new bolt and check the torque several times. I have over 2000 miles on mine since the fix and all is holding good. Pure Performance in Oakvillle Manitoba ( pureperformance.ca ) has also fixed thse. It's a lot of work sometimes but the crank can be saved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts