Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
And, if you buy tools....know how to use them!!!

And, a huge and.... learn how to change a flat tire. I personally use CO2 but if time is not a factor a small tire pump will work. It just takes a lot of time and effort. Always carry a tire repair kit and plan on using it.

Know how to fix a chain. I have broken countless chains and if you don't have the tools or know how to fix one you are screwed.

You can rides on flats (the old leaf method actually works fine) but no chain is no go unless you are riding all downhill.

A small set of Park Allen wrenches.

Over my 20+ year career I have replaced every component on my bikes due to wear and tear, accidents, and generally stupidity. I have broken or wore out everything over time.

If you use tubes know that your spare tube is good. Don't trust that it is unless you know.

Make sure all hardware is tight.

Just like snowmobiling, the goal is to always get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's a lot of truth here. I've only been riding single track for about 5 years, weekly for the most part since i got into it, but i've ran into maybe a good 15-20 bikers that i've had to help while on the trail. most had no tools at all for trail side fixes, or the know how to fix..... loose stems... loose seat posts... flat tires a plenty.... broken shifter cables.... derailleur adjustments....

oddly enough i have not broken a chain. maybe i'm not strong enough of a biker? idk but i carry master links with me just in case.

The Ebike thing is kind of ridiculous. If it gets somebody off the couch and back on the trails i'm all for it. I'll never own one as it feels like cheating to me though. I am looking to get one for my wife as one of the reasons she doesn't like to ride with me is that she can't keep up, if an ebike can over come that then it gets her out on the trails as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Haven't post in awhile , seems as if there's not enough hrs in the day come summer time. Lol.
Still getting out on the mtn bike , even in the hot / muggy weather. Had to take 3 weeks off while getting knee Xrays.
So it kind of felt like starting over again.

On a good note , cardio is up and I have lost 11 lbs which makes me feel good about it .
Did a 32 km trail ride the other day and noticed that the deer / moose fly's are now bad and they are hungry !!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

earlier this spring i had a buddy encourage me to join him at one of the two new single tracks that opened up within 10 minutes of my house. rode 14 miles with him on that first ride. Went home and grabbed my little sledding buddy. "hey, it's like summer snowmobiling". Needless to say that is all this kid wants to do now. We limit our rides to 7-9 miles, i don't want him to get burned out or overwhelmed. He loves all the little obstacles and jumps. So fun with him. I'd venture to guess i get a better workout with him as i can't use momentum to get up the hills following him. I like to be close to coach on what gears to be in and what lines to look for.

We're having a blast. thinking of upgrading his bike before mine. Actually thinking of maybe ebike for him so we can double the length of our rides but the athlete in me is telling me to make him work for it.

The best is leaving the parking lot and he says. "okay dad, follow me and keep up" ha ha.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·

earlier this spring i had a buddy encourage me to join him at one of the two new single tracks that opened up within 10 minutes of my house. rode 14 miles with him on that first ride. Went home and grabbed my little sledding buddy. "hey, it's like summer snowmobiling". Needless to say that is all this kid wants to do now. We limit our rides to 7-9 miles, i don't want him to get burned out or overwhelmed. He loves all the little obstacles and jumps. So fun with him. I'd venture to guess i get a better workout with him as i can't use momentum to get up the hills following him. I like to be close to coach on what gears to be in and what lines to look for.

We're having a blast. thinking of upgrading his bike before mine. Actually thinking of maybe ebike for him so we can double the length of our rides but the athlete in me is telling me to make him work for it.

The best is leaving the parking lot and he says. "okay dad, follow me and keep up" ha ha.
Awesome bonding experience right there ! Nothing wrong with making him work for it , LOL . Maybe get an Ebike for him to use on longer ride's only ?

I'm enjoying the Mtn bike to the point I stopped using one of my motorcycles in the woods

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Only took one pic from Monday nights ride as the deer flies were biting like crazy. I think its soon going to be time to throw the bicycle on the truck an head to some new to me trails.

Monday July 26.jpg

81 - 85 of 85 Posts