Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Not to be disrespectful or argumentative but NO respectable mountain biker would ever be out riding an e-bike. Only to ride one for fun, never serious.

They are way slower, uphill, downhill, single track, double track, fire roads... you name it. Way slower.

They also make you use more energy if you are really riding.

The components are lame, the weight is high.

It's a bike for casual riders, nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no offense taken but i'd have to assume you've never ridden one or shopped around for one.

they are heavier, no doubt but i pass people on mine while towing another rider up the road so there's no way they're slower especially when not towing. i pass people all the time on forest roads and everything else that's wide enough. having a motor to assist doesn't make someone slower, it's very much the opposite.

in terms of components, the high end e-mountain bike makers (Cube, Santa Cruz, trek, Specialized, etc) put the same exact components on their ebikes as their traditional bikes so I'm not sure where you get the idea that they have subpar components unless you're talking about the bikes i referred to in a post above--the cheap bikes made in china and rebranded here that are mountain bikes in name only.

in terms of using more energy, i'm assuming you're saying that because of the extra weight but it's not like these bikes are twice as heavy. my bike with carbon frame is about 10lbs heavier than my buddy's traditional 10k bike. you're also saving way more energy than the extra weight would cause you to expend because of the assist. that gets proven every time I ride.

plenty of avid and hardcore e-mountain bikers out here in oregon so the self-respecting rider comment is nonsense.

scroll down, read the specs and show me where this 13K Specialized bike has lame components and is made for the casual rider and nothing more.

https://mikesbikes.com/collections/specialized-turbo-levo/products/specialized-turbo-levo-pro

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Decided to stick to the pavement last night , managed to do a 22 km loop. I know its still not a great distance but for my second week I'm happy with it.

Really need the bike shops to open up here for in store visits as I have no luck buying footwear on line, also need another pair of padded biking shorts.

Tonight will be a off night , do some chain cleaning and lube. Thursday night is also our weekly ride night on the motorcycles for supper. My wife isn't about to give that up, she probably would go without me but seems to enjoy my company :D

On another note the more I check into bicycle prices the more shocked I am.

13K for a mountain bike , I only paid 12K for a brand new Beta 300RR motorcycle last summer. LOL

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
there's plenty of very capable mountain bikes much, much cheaper than 13k.
Oh I know , just was surprised at the pricing. LOL

The bike shop where I bought mine struggles to keep 6K bikes in stock as they sell so fast

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
no offense taken but i'd have to assume you've never ridden one or shopped around for one.
they are heavier, no doubt but i pass people on mine while towing another rider up the road so there's no way they're slower especially when not towing. i pass people all the time on forest roads and everything else that's wide enough. having a motor to assist doesn't make someone slower, it's very much the opposite.
in terms of components, the high end e-mountain bike makers (Cube, Santa Cruz, trek, Specialized, etc) put the same exact components on their ebikes as their traditional bikes so I'm not sure where you get the idea that they have subpar components unless you're talking about the bikes i referred to in a post above--the cheap bikes made in china and rebranded here that are mountain bikes in name only.
in terms of using more energy, i'm assuming you're saying that because of the extra weight but it's not like these bikes are twice as heavy. my bike with carbon frame is about 10lbs heavier than my buddy's traditional 10k bike. you're also saving way more energy than the extra weight would cause you to expend because of the assist. that gets proven every time I ride.
plenty of avid and hardcore e-mountain bikers out here in oregon so the self-respecting rider comment is nonsense.
scroll down, read the specs and show me where this 13K Specialized bike has lame components and is made for the casual rider and nothing more.
https://mikesbikes.com/collections/specialized-turbo-levo/products/specialized-turbo-levo-pro
I wasn't going to reply, but you know me...

The point is simple. It's no longer a traditional bike. It's a motor bike. And I would question your sanity if you spent 16K on an e-bike. What's the point? You can't race it. Why not just get a nice dirt bike, I would.

You are less tired? True. But isn't the point of riding a bike to be tired? To test yourself? To exert yourself? To get a great workout?

The modern world we live in is all about making things simpler, most people like that I suppose. But there comes a time and place when things go over the top. This is one in my mind.

No, I have never ridden an e-bike. Can't say I never will but I see no point in it.

Enjoy your bike.

·
Looking for the Hot Tub...
7,044 Posts
Decided to stick to the pavement last night , managed to do a 22 km loop. I know its still not a great distance but for my second week I'm happy with it.

Really need the bike shops to open up here for in store visits as I have no luck buying footwear on line, also need another pair of padded biking shorts.

Tonight will be a off night , do some chain cleaning and lube. Thursday night is also our weekly ride night on the motorcycles for supper. My wife isn't about to give that up, she probably would go without me but seems to enjoy my company :D

On another note the more I check into bicycle prices the more shocked I am.

13K for a mountain bike , I only paid 12K for a brand new Beta 300RR motorcycle last summer. LOL
That is a pretty good distance on pavement with a mnt bike! Personally I love bibs over shorts, they stay on/up and dont move around as much, you can wear them under a pair of reg shorts also. Granted they are a bit more $ but once you get over the fact you think they look goofy and realize they are better than sliced butter on the nether region down below you will be grateful, this is one area where you should not go cheap...if you find yourself riding a lot and your neither region will tell you, get yourself some chamios cream... sounds gross and feels odd but your "taint" will thank you on those hot sweaty days.

I have ridden an E bike when trek first came out with them at a Trek Demo at the factory, we had rode there on our bikes, it was just like riding a scooter, and honestly shocked how fast they went, had a little kick in it. I dont see my self getting one but if I lived in a big city and had to ride to work to save on parking/time I might consider it, but for anything else, no, they have no business on actual mountain bike trails, marginally on gravel trails, if you go around using the motor all the time might as well get a spree and buzz around like the college kids do downtown weaving in and out of traffic. Again this is exactly my comment about these idiots using these to take KOM's, you might as well start taking EPO, roids... ok that is a bit harsh, but again if your out there for fun and cant ride a bike than I understand...

·
Registered
242 Posts

The point is simple. It's no longer a traditional bike. It's a motor bike. And I would question your sanity if you spent 16K on an e-bike. What's the point? You can't race it. Why not just get a nice dirt bike, I would.

You are less tired? True. But isn't the point of riding a bike to be tired? To test yourself? To exert yourself? To get a great workout?

The modern world we live in is all about making things simpler, most people like that I suppose. But there comes a time and place when things go over the top. This is one in my mind.

No, I have never ridden an e-bike. Can't say I never will but I see no point in it.

Enjoy your bike.

do yourself a favor and ride one when you get a chance and i can all but guarantee that you'll have a change of perspective. i've seen it happen many times on these because i let anybody that wants to take a spin, do it and the misconceptions about it being a motorcycle evaporate.

the motor is not some super torquey powerhouse and there is no throttle that you can press and hold on for dear life. there's no throttle at all. the motors are torque sensing and apply a proportional amount of force (which is adjustable and can be turned off) but ONLY when the rider is pedaling and exerting enough force of his own. for example, say you're at the max assist setting but riding on flat pavement in a low gear. you're not going to get any assist because the pedaling is easy. start going uphill and/or change gears and you'll have to exert more force on the pedals, and the motor will sense that and will give you some fraction of that force back.

for us that ride single track downhill, 90% of the time the motor is actually being used is when we're slogging it back up for another run. on the downhill, the motor is either off or at the lowest setting because downhill pedaling is obviously much easier so the motor is just along for the ride due to it's torque sensing design.

i don't care if you're an elite athlete, purist, whatever-getting more time on the bike per trip is worth the cost of admission right there.

speaking of cost, my carbon framed bike with lower tier components from the big names cost about 5600. my buddy's nicely equipped Specialized Turbo was a little over 6k, I believe.

in terms of my being tired, i'm less tired on a given uphill/downhill circuit but more tired over all because i can get one and every once in a while two more runs in and get more riding in per trip. i think of it as the same function as a ski lift for skiers although my legs are still toast even on maximum assist on the ride back up because the rider still has to pedal and exert force. there's no free ride.

i agree in general about people wanting things to be simpler/easier but not with e mountain bikes. at least not my crew or any of the other people that i see on them.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
This thread is cracking me up...

A little heavier you say?

Treks race bike weighs 20.6 pounds

The same e-bike weighs 33.15 pounds

The e-bike costs $2000 more.

According to Trek, their race bike, the Supercaliber is (their words), the fastest, lightest, and most capable cross county bike they have ever made.

But not everyone is a racer. I am. Or was.

I would take the 38% weight savings, save the $2000, and have a blast.

At 33.15 pounds that is only slightly under the weight of the Supercaliber AND my Trek Madone....combined

I'm sure your bike is awesome....just not for me as I am a purist. A bike is a bike. I am the motor, I am the power plant. That's the point to me.

I likely will try one once. But right now I would buy the Supercaliber, or C-Dale equivalent, every day. No questions.

Same with snowmobiles.... run it stock, that's just me.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts

Enjoy your bike.

Never say never. Wait till you get a lot older.

I am in my seventies and still like a bike ride, however, there are days that I am simply not capable of a longer ride than I would like.

This is why my wife and I are considering a couple of ebikes.

Don~

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Never say never. Wait till you get a lot older.

I am in my seventies and still like a bike ride, however, there are days that I am simply not capable of a longer ride than I would like.

This is why my wife and I are considering a couple of ebikes.

Don~
I already older

·
Registered
406 Posts
E bikes have their purpose. I totally get the pedal assist beach cruisers for people that just want to get out, or for commuters. E bikes for MTB I have mixed feelings. If you ride mostly flat areas and XC loops, I agree that there isn't much use for them. Come out west and schlog a fire road climb for 3-5 miles and gain 1500-2500 feet of elevation, they are nice for the pedal assist up. They might get you an extra trip or two up and down the hill in a day.

As far as them being low end, that's not very true. I've been able to spend some time on the Santa Cruz Heckler and Bullit. Spec built to any high end MTB, but either one will set you back $8k to $12k depending on exact build. And yes they are heavy, my dedicated downhill rig is lighter and that thing is a tank.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Parts are readily available to retrofit an existing bike too. I've converted a couple now so the GF and I can get out there and get some excercise. To each his own.

Wasn't it the 'purists' that would have nothing to do with that new contraption called the automobile when it was introduced? Any new technology is at first frowned upon until it is widely adopted. I don't know of anyone who would rather use an axe or handsaw over a chainsaw (gas or electric). Are we not all on this forum because we choose to ride more modern machines? Who here is riding around on an old machine out of stubbornness? I'm just being facetious of course.

I always thought is was funny when I see the group of guys (and gals) out for a workout ride, with expensive light weight bikes and skin tight clothing to gain every bit of advantage. If it's about the workout, why the effort to keep from working out? ^_^ That's like buying a weight set then grinding down the weights to make them easier to lift. <_< And doesn't bulking up your legs add weight? :D

As stated, my intent is just to get out and get some exercise. I'm not looking to compete so if I pass one of you 'purists' on a hill, please don't get in a tiff.

I dirt bike with my son, but don't expect the GF to do that. Plus, trails around here are more limited for ATV use whereas everything opens up in winter thanks to the snowmobile clubs and an extensive winter trail network. I can simply go places with a bicycle that I can't on a dirt bike.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Lots of good debate going on here about Ebikes. I say there is no right or wrong , just what suits you.

Last night I felt a ebike would have been nice. Seemed like every peddle stroke was a pain and the ride was never going to end.

That being said my allergies kicked in high gear yesterday so everything seemed like a pain. LOL

Do I dare ask what people think about fat bikes ? There's a few of them around now. :lol:

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Yeah ebikes have their place for sure. If it can help get someone out riding that may struggle do to some kind of injury, health problem etc... fantastic! As for the purists or snobs, listening to them can be tiring. Always telling you how much they spent, your stuff is never good enough blah blah. Ride what ya got and have fun!

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Lots of good debate going on here about Ebikes. I say there is no right or wrong , just what suits you.

Last night I felt a ebike would have been nice. Seemed like every peddle stroke was a pain and the ride was never going to end.

That being said my allergies kicked in high gear yesterday so everything seemed like a pain. LOL

Do I dare ask what people think about fat bikes ? There's a few of them around now. :lol:
I have no problem with fat bikes as long as they stay off the snowmobile trails in the Winter.

Don~

·
Registered
2,861 Posts

Fat bikes do also have their place. A lot of guys I mtn bike with have fat bikes and love them in the winter. Good exercise and something else to do in winter if your not a sledder. I've only ridden them a few times thought they were fun on the groomed bike trails.

·
Registered
678 Posts
We bought fatties because most of the seasonal road around our house are extremely soft in the summer. I haven't yet rode mine in the snow but supposable some good winter bike trails to the north of me.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts