Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
She loves to sled, ATV, motorcycle... she rides her ZX6r to work almost daily, working on her 4 wheeler now, she wants her jet ski out also, on a sled its all out all day long.. she is competitive on everything.
That's awesome ! I always say its great to have a wife that loves to do what we love to do ! My wife now wants us to get a golf cart at some point to take with us when we go to stockcar races. She's all in for toys with motors or wheels

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
yep i think it's a common misconception that you can get on these and just go without having to put in any effort. there are so many e-bikes out there now that plenty of non-mountain bike companies offer a "mountain" bike and i'm sure at least some of those do have a throttle but i'd hesitate to call them mountain bikes. they typically have cheap components and likely won't hold up to abuse that good bikes can handle.
take a test ride on a quality bike from a reputable company and you'll be sold.
Not to be disrespectful or argumentative but NO respectable mountain biker would ever be out riding an e-bike. Only to ride one for fun, never serious.

They are way slower, uphill, downhill, single track, double track, fire roads... you name it. Way slower.

They also make you use more energy if you are really riding.

The components are lame, the weight is high.

It's a bike for casual riders, nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,659 Posts
Not to be disrespectful or argumentative but NO respectable mountain biker would ever be out riding an e-bike. Only to ride one for fun, never serious.

They are way slower, uphill, downhill, single track, double track, fire roads... you name it. Way slower.

They also make you use more energy if you are really riding.

The components are lame, the weight is high.

It's a bike for casual riders, nothing more.

Thanks, Lance. I'm afraid of how you would react if I said where my $600 specialized s***box goes and what it does on the single track dpa-on-the-tour-de-frances-last-off-day-five-time-tour-winner-lance-D3GKFD.jpg

Sent from your mom's house

Attachments

·
Looking for the Hot Tub...
7,044 Posts
Thanks, Lance. I'm afraid of how you would react if I said where my $600 specialized s***box goes and what it does on the single track
attachicon.gif
dpa-on-the-tour-de-frances-last-off-day-five-time-tour-winner-lance-D3GKFD.jpg

I have had my share of bikes over the years, I could care less what someone else is riding, get out and ride! Now I do have an issue with these so called electric bikes claiming KOM's... but since I am out of the game for while its not as painful to see but still chaps my cheeks.

We started off with a couple of cheap dept store bikes, then we kind of went into the deep end, a few upgrades here and there. I will say this though, once you have taken a few rides on a nicer bike it is different feeling, you can do the same route and come back feeling excited about the ride and you cant wait to get back out there again. Nicer bikes tend to last longer, need less adjustments, tend to ride smoother... its like driving a geo and than getting into a Mercedes, you can feel the difference in suspension, weight/balance/power transfer to the ground on climbs/straights/shift faster and smoother, quiet running... do they both get you to the store, yes.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Maybe I will stay with flat pedals and sneakers for a bit longer. Next upgrade needs to be flashing light for the back. Was out the other night and vehicle's seemed to be blind when approaching me from the back.
Sneakers waste a lot of energy, think someone said it prior. Good bike shoes with a bottom that doesn't flex. I won't ride clipped in, like to be able to get my foot ready quickly and never mastered them. Now front and rear lights are almost mandatory be it day or night (mandatory).

·
7,044 Posts
And people think snowmobiling is expensive !! :lol: . You guys have some nice bicycles for sure, definitely a nice setup.

I'm hoping 1 bike will me enough for me as we currently already have hobbies that overlap one another.
I will say they can be expensive, we have several others not pictured here also in our other garage. Most of our bikes have a spec purpose for riding style/event, cross is on/off road, road race, crit racing, hill climbing... but we all still have our favorite bikes, mine is a 6.9 Madone, it fits great and overall fast bike, climbs great. Wife loves her Emonda SLR, that thing is stupid light, fast, nimble. She will grab her Trek Boone cross bike and hit the single tracks and generally beat most on mountain bikes with it, she will jump it off small mounds and rocks... I also like my Trek Boone cross bike for single track as long as its not too bad, and with my bad back now it has a bit more of an upright riding style, also has the ISO vibe seatpost for a bit more comfort.

We have ventured a bit more into Mnt biking in 2019, we take them with us on camping trips also so they get dual purposed.

FYI Trek is 10mi away from us so we are a bit spoiled in that regard, we have road a few test bikes and tested a few mountain bikes on their private mountain bike track.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Few pics from last night ride. Still not any great distance but starting to do a bit more trail riding. who knew pushing yourself to the point of feeling like you want to throw up could be fun. LOL

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Sneakers waste a lot of energy, think someone said it prior. Good bike shoes with a bottom that doesn't flex. I won't ride clipped in, like to be able to get my foot ready quickly and never mastered them. Now front and rear lights are almost mandatory be it day or night (mandatory).
Guess I better do some googling on footwear. Damn covid has everything locked down here so you can't even go visit a bike shop for in store shopping.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I will say they can be expensive, we have several others not pictured here also in our other garage. Most of our bikes have a spec purpose for riding style/event, cross is on/off road, road race, crit racing, hill climbing... but we all still have our favorite bikes, mine is a 6.9 Madone, it fits great and overall fast bike, climbs great. Wife loves her Emonda SLR, that thing is stupid light, fast, nimble. She will grab her Trek Boone cross bike and hit the single tracks and generally beat most on mountain bikes with it, she will jump it off small mounds and rocks... I also like my Trek Boone cross bike for single track as long as its not too bad, and with my bad back now it has a bit more of an upright riding style, also has the ISO vibe seatpost for a bit more comfort.

We have ventured a bit more into Mnt biking in 2019, we take them with us on camping trips also so they get dual purposed.

FYI Trek is 10mi away from us so we are a bit spoiled in that regard, we have road a few test bikes and tested a few mountain bikes on their private mountain bike track.
InTheSticks, I love the devotion you have for the sport . Its crazy how addictive some things can get , and I mean that in a good way ! I can definitely see and feel the difference between my wifes $1000 Opus and my $2000 Rocky Mountain. I can't even think what a $5000 + bike would feel like. LOL

Having the Trek factory close to you must be awesome. I ended up with Rocky Mountain as the dealer is a friend of a friend and him and his wife are good people.

·
7,044 Posts
InTheSticks, I love the devotion you have for the sport . Its crazy how addictive some things can get , and I mean that in a good way ! I can definitely see and feel the difference between my wifes $1000 Opus and my $2000 Rocky Mountain. I can't even think what a $5000 + bike would feel like. LOL

Having the Trek factory close to you must be awesome. I ended up with Rocky Mountain as the dealer is a friend of a friend and him and his wife are good people.
So to help anyone looking to get a bike and feel you have to have that super expensive one... so let me break it down so you dont get scared and walk away from the sport. Generally each module (Key word .. model) will have the same frame (now I say generally as sometimes they can be different.. read on), what ends up happening is the group sets, ie components (Shifters, cranks, derailleurs) are the first difference, so you say man that $1500 bike is the same as the $3000 one and it might be in regards for the frame, and yes the difference between components can be that much (lower ends can be a bit clunky and harder to shift, high end is easy, quick shifting, weight differences), next is wheelsets, those can be a couple thousand difference (see below). Just to give you an idea pop the chain off the crankset and spin the crank slowly, feel the bearings, cheaper BB (bottom brackets) will have a bubble feeling where you feel the bearing rolling, higher end such as ceramic bearings will be very smooth, again an upgradable component (new ceramic bearings will be tight but will loosen/break in quickly), same for the wheelset, spin that slowly, feel the hubs front and back.

I cant speak for other brands as I never really researched them much, for Trek, their lower end will be alum framed and than higher will be full carbon and they have model numbers such as 6.5, 6.8, 6.9... or 9.5, 9.8, 9.9 sometimes they will throw in an SL or SLR.. basically that is the same frame with different components/wheelsets. Now is alum bad, no, they are still a good bike, they can be responsive and still light within reason.

Now let me make one statement that I feel is best upgrade that most beginners and many bypass The single BEST improvement you can make to any bike is the wheelset, you wont get anyone that is competitive tell you that secret. Wheelsets are best investment you can make to any bike better hands down, the lighter, smother, aero (road/cross) they are the faster, easier everything will become, wheelsets can be expensive, good hubs with higher count pawls and teeth make a difference, a huge difference. A lighter wheelset will spin up faster, roll longer... 29" on trails will roll over stuff easier than 27/27.5"..

Ok I know your saying I can go to Walmart and buy a bike...first off please dont unless you plan just leaving it sit outside... get a reputable brand with decent low level components to begin with so you have something to upgrade as you go, you will break/wear stuff out, mid level stuff generally last longer and is good quality, high end/expensive components are also very good quality, but tend to be super light as they use expensive light weight materials, sometimes though those will wear faster as these are geared toward the weigh weanies (gearsets is prime example), however the mid level will be just slightly heavier, cost half as much and last as long or longer... sometimes mid level was last years high level with a different name ie SRAM Force is a great level road bike stuff... it simply last and cost 1/2 as much as Red, does Red shift faster/smother/easier.. yes it does.

So does everyone need an expensive bike, no we do not, again, you can get to the store on that huffy, sometimes you will come back with a bigger smile though and want to do it again.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts

You know good bikes!!

I have a Trek Madone-Armstrong/Discovery 2007 Tour Edition road bike. I added a few upgrades. I have about $6000 into it. Cheap by today's standards. Carbon wheelset was $1500.

I ride Cannondale Carbon Lefty mountain bikes. I have both full suspension and hard tails.

My mountain full suspension race bike only weighs 22 pounds. My Madone weights 17.5 pounds.

These bikes make a world of difference.

I would venture over the course of time I have well over $50,000 tied up in bikes/trips/racing.

My son is worse...

We have both won state championships, me in mountain biking, my son in multiple disciplines.

If you go all out, as we did, snowmobiling is cheap compared to cycling.

My garage would make any bike shop envious. I built a custom racing trailer also. We traveled all over the country. Plus we spent months riding the high trails in Colorado. They have amazing riding out there. Hermosa Creek, Molas to Coal Bank being but a few. It's wonderful.

I think we have owned over 20 bikes, all world class top end rides.

Climbing mountains and mountain biking took up 1990-2010 for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ok kit

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Now let me make one statement that I feel is best upgrade that most beginners and many bypass The single BEST improvement you can make to any bike is the wheelset, you wont get anyone that is competitive tell you that secret. Wheelsets are best investment you can make to any bike better hands down, the lighter, smother, aero (road/cross) they are the faster, easier everything will become, wheelsets can be expensive, good hubs with higher count pawls and teeth make a difference, a huge difference. A lighter wheelset will spin up faster, roll longer... 29" on trails will roll over stuff easier than 27/27.5"..

Ok I know your saying I can go to Walmart and buy a bike...first off please dont unless you plan just leaving it sit outside... get a reputable brand with decent low level components to begin with so you have something to upgrade as you go, you will break/wear stuff out, mid level stuff generally last longer and is good quality, high end/expensive components are also very good quality, but tend to be super light as they use expensive light weight materials, sometimes though those will wear faster as these are geared toward the weigh weanies (gearsets is prime example), however the mid level will be just slightly heavier, cost half as much and last as long or longer... sometimes mid level was last years high level with a different name ie SRAM Force is a great level road bike stuff... it simply last and cost 1/2 as much as Red, does Red shift faster/smother/easier.. yes it does.
Someone told me once before you sink a ton of money into upgrades, lose 5 pounds. You'll feel a big difference all around. (This advice is not for the already trim out there)

Walmart for a bike, never ! Good bike dealers need your support, even if you pay a bit more the service and advice is usually worth it.

·
Registered
15,659 Posts
Someone told me once before you sink a ton of money into upgrades, lose 5 pounds. You'll feel a big difference all around. (This advice is not for the already trim out there)
Walmart for a bike, never ! Good bike dealers need your support, even if you pay a bit more the service and advice is usually worth it.
Money:grams for saving weight on bikes as money:horsepower in auto/power sports racing. It's an exponential curve and it's addicting!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·

That's what started all this. Need to lose weight and gain cardio at my age . lol

Oh and I agree, local bike shop is definitely the way to go !

·
7,044 Posts
That's what started all this. Need to lose weight and gain cardio at my age . lol

Oh and I agree, local bike shop is definitely the way to go !
I think I might go dust off one and take it with me this week up north... thanks for the motivation.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
The 3 easiest and most effective ways to become a good mountain biker:

1. Get in cycling shape. Riding a bike uses different muscles than you are used to.

2. Make sure the bike is fit for YOU! And use clipless pedals.

3. Get as expensive of a wheelset as you are willing to pay. Light and fast.

The rest you can work on over time.

I have purchased many bikes where the upgrades cost far more than the initial bike.

Rolling mass is everything.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The 3 easiest and most effective ways to become a good mountain biker:

1. Get in cycling shape. Riding a bike uses different muscles than you are used to.

2. Make sure the bike is fit for YOU! And use clipless pedals.

3. Get as expensive of a wheelset as you are willing to pay. Light and fast.

The rest you can work on over time.

I have purchased many bikes where the upgrades cost far more than the initial bike.

Rolling mass is everything.

Sort of like one of my KLR 650's I had.. paid $3500 for it but had over $6000 in aftermarket parts on it :unsure:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Lol. This thread is all over the place. E bikes are like debating 4 stroke vs 2 stroke. They both have benefits and draw backs. Personally I would wait a couple more years before investing into an e bike that isn't a cruiser oriented bike. The tech is developing very rapidly and what you buy today is outdated tomorrow, and many mfg's aren't too worried about being able to upgrade the main parts of them.

Like others on here, mountain biking is my main summer hobby. I spend a stupid amount of money on bikes, cause I can. However, you don't really have to. Just grab something and ride. Enjoy getting outside and challenging yourself.

Now the critical mistake I see many new people into bikes do. They budget for the bike only and spend all their money on that. Gear and accessories are a critical part of biking. A good helmet, good gloves, chamois, shoes, etc are never budgeted. Maintenance items, special tools, spare parts like a chain, tubes (if you run these still) are never budgeted. Spend some of the bike cash on good gear and maintenance parts. I always recommend a good pedal and shoe combo straight away, but most people ignore this and wait a year or two. After they make the switch, they always say "why didn't I do this earlier". If you want to stay flats, which I recommend for new riders get a good Race Face, One Up, or many of the others out there for a pedal (typically cost you $80-$150) and pair it with a MTB specific shoe (5Ten, Giro, Specialized, and many others out there).

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
And, if you buy tools....know how to use them!!!

And, a huge and.... learn how to change a flat tire. I personally use CO2 but if time is not a factor a small tire pump will work. It just takes a lot of time and effort. Always carry a tire repair kit and plan on using it.

Know how to fix a chain. I have broken countless chains and if you don't have the tools or know how to fix one you are screwed.

You can rides on flats (the old leaf method actually works fine) but no chain is no go unless you are riding all downhill.

A small set of Park Allen wrenches.

Over my 20+ year career I have replaced every component on my bikes due to wear and tear, accidents, and generally stupidity. I have broken or wore out everything over time.

If you use tubes know that your spare tube is good. Don't trust that it is unless you know.

Make sure all hardware is tight.

Just like snowmobiling, the goal is to always get back.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts