Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've owned quite a few trucks and had 4 different trailers. But I'm done with changing trailers and have settled into a R&R ARC 12 ft. Hybrid. Pulls great, easy to load and unload, lots of space for extra stuff, and no trailer brakes to mess with.

I've also decided to stop leap frogging around in the summertime with our 35 ft. 5th wheel. So I don't need our big 'ol Silverado 2500 with the 6.6L Turbo Diesel anymore.

What kind of mileage are people seeing with other trucks currently with clamshell/hybrid trailers?

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Mileage? 10 mpg at extended 75 mph interstate speeds. 2015 half ton Silverado crew cab 5.3L. Thats the same mpg with 2 place clamshell as I get now with 3 place inline. Regardless of the substantial weight difference between the two, at interstate speeds it's all about aero.
What he said ^^^^ no matter the size or weight, its like pulling a parachute, got same milage with burb, escalade, f150 with the clamshell and my 23' in line, in my experience

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I pull my 12 ARC with a 1/2 ton Dodge. Not a problem.

I added trailer brakes to mine. I use mine for ATV's that weigh 750 each.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Thanks...yeah it's a parachute but damn it pulls easy and no problem finding a place to park...unlike when I pulled a 28 ft NEO with a Silverado 2500 with an 8ft. Box.

Bought a 2019 Silverado 1500 Crewcab with the 5.3L and got 9.5 mpg going up to Grand Marais 10 days ago....900 miles and no issues but thought 9.5 mpg was weak.

Wondering how the new Silverado 2500 6.6L gas engine is going to do.

Also wondered how Fords various engines do...hear all kinds of stories....

I know the Ram Hemi 5.7L sucks....had one....only got disappointed with it's towability.

Wonder how all these mid-level trucks do towing with their small diesels?

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
Thanks...yeah it's a parachute but darn it pulls easy and no problem finding a place to park...unlike when I pulled a 28 ft NEO with a Silverado 2500 with an 8ft. Box.

Bought a 2019 Silverado 1500 Crewcab with the 5.3L and got 9.5 mpg going up to Grand Marais 10 days ago....900 miles and no issues but thought 9.5 mpg was weak.

Wondering how the new Silverado 2500 6.6L gas engine is going to do.

Also wondered how Fords various engines do...hear all kinds of stories....

I know the Ram Hemi 5.7L sucks....had one....only got disappointed with it's towability.

Wonder how all these mid-level trucks do towing with their small diesels?
They're all going to get 9 to 10. That's just the standard number for all brands and all gasoline engines for the past 25 years. Accept it and pay the bill at the pump.

The diesels will get a bit better, but you already know because you owned a diesel. Of course to offset the MPG savings you have to pay more per gallon of diesel fuel, add DEF, add more expensive oil changes, etc, etc...

It all balances out and makes no real difference. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan. V6, small V8, big V8, turbo, N.A, newer, older, whatever. We all get there for the same price per mile, and nothing can be done to change it in any meaningful way short of giving up towing a trailer. Your 9.5 report sounds right. Next time maybe you'll get lucky with a tailwind and get a whopping 10.5. Of course you could slow down to 55 mph and you'll get it all the way up to 12 mpg. But then you'll arrive late due to combination of driving slow and being rear-ended LOL. So I drive 75 mph and swipe the card at the pump one more time...

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
They're all going to get 9 to 10. That's just the standard number for all brands and all gasoline engines for the past 25 years. Accept it and pay the bill at the pump.

The diesels will get a bit better, but you already know because you owned a diesel. Of course to offset the MPG savings you have to pay more per gallon of diesel fuel, add DEF, add more expensive oil changes, etc, etc...

It all balances out and makes no real difference. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan. V6, small V8, big V8, turbo, N.A, newer, older, whatever. We all get there for the same price per mile, and nothing can be done to change it in any meaningful way short of giving up towing a trailer. Your 9.5 report sounds right. Next time maybe you'll get lucky with a tailwind and get a whopping 10.5. Of course you could slow down to 55 mph and you'll get it all the way up to 12 mpg. But then you'll arrive late due to combination of driving slow and being rear-ended LOL. So I drive 75 mph and swipe the card at the pump one more time...
This is correct. No manufacturer has a truly significant efficiency or technology advantage over the others at this point in time.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I found that my clamshell towed better behind an SUV. I think there is a smoother path for the air to follow the roof line and then go up and over the clam. My buddy bought my 12' hybrid and tows it with his 2500 gmc. His truck is identical to mine but he has a cap on it. His truck tows way better and gets at least 1mpg better on the highway.

·
Flyin Fox Daddy X3
31,302 Posts
I have the new 2020 Chevy 2500HD with a 6.6L gas engine and I'm betting that it will get very similar MPG as the previous 6.0L gas engine did towing. I have around 3400 miles on the truck now and my daily driving MPG is between 12 and 13 MPG with short trips. It really isn't that much lower than the 14 MPG I was getting with my 2013 1500 Silverado with a 5.3L, but it will tow my new-to-me 29' x 7.5'W x 6.5'H inline trailer MUCH better. I was actually really surprised at my MPG last year towing the 29' trailer with the 1/2 ton on a 700 mile trip, BUT I was running around 60 MPH and less on nasty road conditions. I think I was getting around 10 MPG. My old trailer was a 8.5'W x 24' deck over and I could run 70-75 MPH and get 8.5 MPG normally.

I'd stick with a 1/2 ton truck pulling the clamshell/hybrid trailer. I think the overall cost per year will be the lowest with that vehicle compared to anything else.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I also have the new 2020 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas engine. Haven't pulled my 25' trailer yet however my Average gas mpg with 3000 miles on it is 14.6 mpg. Mostly highway miles going to work. I tend to use the 6.6L engine a lot on the ramps to the Interstate, it's fun!! Do you know you can get to 94mph by the top of the ramp. lol So not trying to get the best fuel mileage!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've had 12ft clamshell then upgraded to a 27' enclosed which was totaled last season and I upgraded again same size but 6" extra height and full finished interior. I think weight went up about 300lbs and maybe a little worse areo with the 6" taller. Over the years I e towed with 20"8 f350 diesel, 2012 f150 ecoboost, 2017 silverado 5.3, 2014 ecodiesel (brother inlaws), 2019 ram hemi (brother-in-law's) and now a 2016 ram 2500 diesel.

For half ton I'd say if gas the Ford with the ecoboost is going to toe the best but get the worst mpg because you're in boost (9mpg). The chevy with the 5.3 got the best mpg around 10-12 but lacked on power and sway was bad. The hemi seems ok nothing too special but requires mid grade fuel so most expensive to operate. The ram ecodiesel did about 15mpg towing but lacks power.

My f350 was a beast with tuned and deleted around 600hp. I only had the clamshell with it but I'd get around 15mpg towing. Now my ram 2500 is tuned and deleted but also leveled on 35's. I average about 13mpg. The ram would likely do much better on smaller tires. It has a lot of power but not like the Ford.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if it would be best to get a CDL and buy a old school bus..Then drive the sled in through the back door.

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
Follow your dreams man. No CDL needed, just register it as an RV. Just know that regular Dead and Company concert attendance is required during the summer months, which is a benefit, not a cost...John Mayer is Dead to me...

·
Flyin Fox Daddy X3
31,302 Posts
I think the tires are definitely a big factor in MPG. My 2020 2500HD Z71 came with LT275/65R20 E rated tires which are just over 34" tall and 11" wide with All Terrain tread. Big difference compared to the LT245/75R16 E rated tires that used to come on the 2500HD's and were only 30.5" tall and 9.6" wide. Oh well, just going to run them.

·
Supreme Snowmobiler
2,070 Posts
All aero, same mpg with my 24ft V nose 4 place as 12 ft hybrid. I dont think I need my brakes on the highway with the hybrid.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
All aero, same mpg with my 24ft V nose 4 place as 12 ft hybrid. I dont think I need my brakes on the highway with the hybrid.
I didn't need brakes either..Until I loaded up my trailer with 2 heavy ATV (750 lbs), gear, and another ATV in my bed..

For sleds, brakes probably not needed for only 2 machines.

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
Sean, I ride with another guy that has the same exact trailer as you. He has a 2016? Chevrolet 1500 LTZ with the max trailering package and 6.2L engine; I can't recall if it has the 6 or 8spd transmission. Pulling two sleds in the trailer including our gear with a bed cover over the bed covering other supplies, I believe I recall us hovering around 12-14mpg between Minneapolis & North Dakota 2yrs ago. I believe we dropped to 9-12mpg once we hooked up to Andy's Neo, which yielded us 4ppl and 4 sleds total. That 6.2 ate it up and didn't seem to be TOO downshift-happy, even into Montana. Fuel economy; all things considered, was not that bad! The one part that was a bummer was the 26gal tank in that configuration.

My point is that current 5.3 is rated very respectably, but it will huff and puff a LOT more trying to do the same amount of work. That is one common complaint against them; most of their power is up in the rev range where it's breathing lots of air, and drinking lots of fuel.

We pulled the hybrid like yours out west last year using my truck; like your old truck, and it couldn't have cared less...but you already know that drill. That is a great trailer, but they're darn sails! I got marginally better fuel mileage towing Bill's heavier 19' inline than the R&R hybrid.

I agree with the others saying that you're still probably money ahead all things considered; enjoy the soft ride, let the engine sing, and be prepared to pump some fuel.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
As for the 5.3, I have a friend with one over 200k miles. It has been pulling trailers since day 1, and although it works very hard, it still has good oil pressure and quiet on startup.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts