Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bergstrom Skegs for TS Ski
Do you have TS Skis and have used Bergstrom Skegs on other skis?
Yes2172.41%
No827.59%
Would you want Bergstrom Skegs for your TS Skies?
Yes2172.41%
No827.59%
If not Bergstroms then which manufacturer?
Stud Boy724.14%
Ski-doo's are good enough13.45%
Snowtracker310.34%
Sno-Stuff00.00%
Woody's413.79%
Accord Racing13.45%
Other00.00%
I only want Bergstrom1344.83%

·
Registered
474 Posts
With the only options for carbides for the TS ski right now being the 2 from Ski-doo, and after calling Bergstrom and them currently planning on producing skegs for the new ski due the obvious design difference, just wondering what everyone else is thinking?

***I know it's a unreasonable request....but can we keep this for the riders that actually have TS skis so that we may have a chance at possibly influencing some manufacturers to give us options?

Keep in mind some of us had no choice in what skis came on our sleds.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Actually, Ski-Doo just introduced a third TS carbide option. The 7" carbide with an additional 1/4" of material is now listed in the 2017 PAC for the same price as the regular 7" carbide.

That being said, I was actually going to call Bergstrom's at the end of the season to see if he could take my old inserts and add a new carbide to it or even a triple point. I was thinking it might not be a bad add-on business for him if he was able to "refurbish" the inserts after they are worn.

That being said, I was hoping he would come up with something that would be worth trying for comparison purposes.I like the triple points on my old Pilot skis but I am also not disappointed with the TS skis performance so far after one season. They carbides held up well after 1950 miles and I really liked the adjustability and overall performance after one season.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I don't think this poll is asking the right questions.

(1) Do you have the TS ski?

(2) Are you happy with the trail manors of this ski?

(3) Do you know what a ski skeg is?

(4) Would you be willing to try a ski skeg?

(5) What other brands of traction products have you used in the past?

I am not familiar with the ski skeg. I have always had good luck with the stock ski in most trail riding situations. Does it help with darting, cornering, deep snow, tracking???

How much they cost?

I do know they go on the bottom of your ski, some type of new designed wear bar.

·
Registered
517 Posts
With the only options for carbides for the TS ski right now being the 2 from Ski-doo, and after calling Bergstrom and them currently planning on producing skegs for the new ski due the obvious design difference, just wondering what everyone else is thinking?
With the negative comments on his site i'm surprised berstrom will be producing skegs for the TS ski. http://bergstromskegs.com/oui/Pilot_TS_ski_2016.htm

I now have 3500 km. on my ts skis and love them no excesive wear, no freezing they simply work as advertised.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I don't think this poll is asking the right questions.

(1) Do you have the TS ski?

(2) Are you happy with the trail manors of this ski?

(3) Do you know what a ski skeg is?

(4) Would you be willing to try a ski skeg?

(5) What other brands of traction products have you used in the past?

I am not familiar with the ski skeg. I have always had good luck with the stock ski in most trail riding situations. Does it help with darting, cornering, deep snow, tracking???

How much they cost?

I do know they go on the bottom of your ski, some type of new designed wear bar.
The best I could do, you can only ask 3 questions in a poll. Also carbides/skegs/wear bars/runners are all the same thing just different names.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have run 6" Woody's and Bergstrom skegs over the last 16 years - I have tried 8" skegs (I don't run studs anymore - not since arrival of the Ripsaw on my 04 Viper.)

I have been completely happy running 6" carbides and see no need for the TS. I agree with Bergstrom - Ski-Doo got played by Yamaha!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The TS ski is a bad design period. Way too much forward out of balance front to rear. Most people haven't notice that the wearbar can move up and down upon impact. further throwing it out of front to rear balance. The adjustment feature works as advertised and is a nice feature. The ski itself performs fine on the snow. If Doo corrected the ski design and eliminated the movement of the wearbar in the assembly it could be the real deal. Of course, there still is the extra 4 lbs per ski being carried around. In 4000 KM mine have worn at the front considerably even though shimmed with a 3/8 shim from day one.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I only got 1250 miles on my sled this year. I changed mine out to the 7" before delivery. The TS skis worked very well and the carbide wear is maybe at 1/2. The was a very hard year on carbides in our area because of very low snow conditions. They wore more on the front than the rear. This seams to be the "norm" with BRP skis. I can't say they have NO darting but I thought they were a big improvement over the Pilot with, bergstrom, studboy, woody's, and a couple others I forgot the names to. The only carbide I liked better was the

snow tracker. I can say the snow tracker has NO darting and the steering effort was lighter than the TS was with the carbide all the way down. That is what I'm going back to the snowtracker next year on the MXZX 850.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
The TS ski is a bad design period. Way too much forward out of balance front to rear. Most people haven't notice that the wearbar can move up and down upon impact. further throwing it out of front to rear balance. The adjustment feature works as advertised and is a nice feature. The ski itself performs fine on the snow. If Doo corrected the ski design and eliminated the movement of the wearbar in the assembly it could be the real deal. Of course, there still is the extra 4 lbs per ski being carried around. In 4000 KM mine have worn at the front considerably even though shimmed with a 3/8 shim from day one.
That may be our experience and opinion but it is not mine. I have about 2000 miles on the TS skis so that is close to your distance. My carbides have worn well and I have felt the performance on snow, ice and hard pack to be very good for a stock ski and carbide.

I would agree that for a very aggressive rider there would be very few, if any, stock ski / stock carbide combinations that would be acceptable

I also don't buy the wearbar movement argument either. Some one here was trying to make that point and told me to roll my skis over a broom handle to see how much they moved. I tried that and the carbides just about cut through the broom handle.

The longest wearing carbides I have had are the Bergstrom Triple Point 8" carbides. I have them on my wife's 2012 MXZ X 600 and after two season and almost 4500 miles, they are still are performing well. I don't think the stock TS carbides (or any other Doo carbide) would hold up as well or as long but I am happy with them so far. I would like to see what Bergstrom could do for a comparison.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Judge64, I respect your opinion. The movement of the wearbar in the assembly only comes after an impact not going over a stick or ordinary trail debris. My keels have worn at the front far more than Pilots with shims and bergstrom triple points. I was going to trade my 16 Enduro in but Doo doesn't offer anything I want, so I'll keep it for next year. As you know I love the sled overall. Probably the best sled I've ever owned. My dealer is trying to get Doo to swap out the TS skis for Pilots.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
That may be the case then studdog you undoubtedly have had a different experience than me this year.

My opinion is still that the TS skis are going to be perfectly fine for 80% of the trail riders out there. I have had zero issues with mine this year and that includes hitting a few rocks, rough trails and bare roads with the crappy winter we have had this year. I think the ski wear itself has been normal given the riding conditions. I am nowhere near needing to have mine replaced.

Like any first year product though, there could be some issues but I for one am pleased with the TS concept and the performance. It will be interesting to see if they change anything with it. They did just introduce a third carbide option with 1/4" more depth so I am anxious to try that next year.

We do agree on one thing.... I also think the Enduro is the best sled I have owned as well. I ordered one for my wife this week. :righton

1 - 14 of 14 Posts