Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, what should I do?
Try and bend the thing back?
Claim under insurance? Would they total it?
Buy a new tunnel and swap everything?
Kind of makes me mad. It didn't even buck me off. Watched a 600 SDI hit the same clump of frozen dirt in front of me and it didn't do anything. Then I hit it and look what happens. Me and the rider in front of me weigh about the same (215lb).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
You can fix that, just replace the outer rim, heat it lightly and pound it back. Then you can buy a new aftermarket tray with better grippers to cover it all up. At least wait till spring if you decide to replace it, you will not see it again this season if it goes in now.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
if u want to do it right then i know somebody selling a 440 race sled chassis. swap everything over and have the extra strength of the racer chassis.

Pm me if you're interested and ill get u his e-mail.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would Straighten it and move on too, I've had straightend much, much worse. It will be OK.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Its not really totaled it is just the running board really. just apply a slight amount of heat and heat it up a little past the level mark becaue once you apply pressure on it it will sag back down a little then be right where it needs to. I would not be too crazy worried about it this stuff happens all the time and like chinook said there has been MUCH MUCh worse stuff straightned back to normal.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help.
Will heat discolor it?
I guess I will get a new trim and try and bend the running board back. maybe get a piece of 2X4 on each side and C-clamp it, then bend it up. I just know it is going to look like crap when I get done with it even though it will be functionable.
I am probably looking at way too much to swap tunnels, eh?

No way Ski-Doo would cover it, eh?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
54 Posts
johnniev57 said:
Thanks for the help.
Will heat discolor it?
I guess I will get a new trim and try and bend the running board back. maybe get a piece of 2X4 on each side and C-clamp it, then bend it up. I just know it is going to look like crap when I get done with it even though it will be functionable.
I am probably looking at way too much to swap tunnels, eh?

No way Ski-Doo would cover it, eh?

Thanks guys!
[snapback]294420[/snapback]​
Did you bend something in the rear suspension also?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just make sure everything else is straight. I bet if you had a friend in the auto body business they could fix that up real nice. What do you have to lose? A new tunnel would be spendy.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Ya heat would prolly dicolor it. but changing the tunnel is no easy job done in a day. It's a summer project if you want to cahnge the tunnel. And the tunnel will not be cheap at all.

·
lay the smack down
2,961 Posts
Just my $.02 on this topic...

seeing as i did roughly the same thing but hit a rock which stopped me dead from roughly 40 km actual speed, 60+ track speed.

Luckily insurance is covering all....

The dealership which is repairing my machine is using a car/truck frame straightner to straighten the tunnel it has a little kink in it from the impact...

If you know someone who has access to one could be a cheap and less labour intensive undertaking....

Like i said just my $.02

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Once you remove the edge strip the tunnel will darn near spring back to straight. Just use a heat gun or the wood and c-clamp technique to coax the running board straight again. Piece of cake don't waste another second worry about it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts