Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen one get bent like this before? Hit a ditch at fairly low speed after slowing down to avoid it. I've hit stuff hard with other machines, was surprised to see this kind of damage, brings back memories of dreaded Nytro bent subframe issues! Going to put a new spindle on it today and see if the NUN is bent or not!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Ouch!!

·
Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.
1,526 Posts
Really odd- possible the impact was harder than you thought? Still to tweak at that location... Perhaps a metallurgy/casting fatigue issue? Not sure how would happen without jumping.

Where was your shock preload? Looks like the shock would have to fully compress plus a hard impact to cause that.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
The wreck I did recently had a spindle bent like that, not quite that much but the same type of bend. When you order one make sure it is boxed right, I picked mine up at the dealer and the box part # was correct but the wrong side spindle was inside, not their fault. Didn't find out till I got home though.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
Put it in a press and bend it back???

·
Super Moderator
17,984 Posts
Seen exactly this before. A guy posted last year the exact same thing and tried to blame it on skidoo and get it warrantied lol! I believe in his thread someone came out and said that skidoo built the new ras2 spindles to be the weakest link in an effort to save the smod and other parts in the event of impact. No clue how true that was? He had pics, if you do a search I'm sure it will turn up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man you're hard on stuff.
Have you put a turbo on one of your 1200s yet? You running them stock?
Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Was thinking about putting a cat turbo on this one, using all the parts I have from my sled when it was stock. But I think I'll leave this one alone for the wife and add a new turbo next year.

Putting my new Pb80 and helix in today.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seen exactly this before. A guy posted last year the exact same thing and tried to blame it on skidoo and get it warrantied lol! I believe in his thread someone came out and said that skidoo built the new ras2 spindles to be the weakest link in an effort to save the smod and other parts in the event of impact. No clue how true that was? He had pics, if you do a search I'm sure it will turn up.
I would be completely fine with the spindle being the weak link, easy to change out and cheaper then the subframe.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
That is 100% true, its made to bend to try and avoid the smodule bending

·
Registered
73 Posts
The new spindle was design to bend instead of getting damage to the S-module which is very much harder and more expensive to repair...

·
Registered
503 Posts
I did the exact same thing the exact same way on my Rev Rene a couple years back Bent the spindle and tore the A arm mounts. Unbelievably, no other damage. It's really amazing how different impacts seem to stress different components and spare others

·
Registered
490 Posts
That is 100% true, its made to bend to try and avoid the smodule bending
The new spindle was design to bend instead of getting damage to the S-module which is very much harder and more expensive to repair...
Doo designed the new spindles to bend first before damaging the NUN/Bulkhead.
I think perhaps it's supposed to bend like that, what do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts