Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

bench testing a starter

Tags
starter
2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  TheBearAk 
#1 ·
I have a used starter from a 2014 550f renegade that I need to bench test out of the machine. I thought I could do this by hooking it up to a strong 12v battery but it did nothing. So, am I doing something wrong or is it toast? Thanks!

#5 ·
I had mine apart last week, easy to do. I had and intermittent no start condition that left me pull starting it from the clutch last year

This year the starter and battery, left me stranded so I replaced both from Royal Distributing , Installed a recoil as well

I found the problem I was having. I am going to call it the brush plate that holds the two brushes was not holding a ground as it is only pinched between the end housing and the armature housing, You could actually see the blackened arching per say. This is the grounding brush which is secure to the plate. the positive brush is secured to the insulated post that exits the casing. Its worth a try. you have to clean up the space between the commutator segments and the carbon of course.

The after market price is about 175.00 dealer is about 3X that if not more

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.