Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Fanny
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering after reading a Post from FarmerMike

This past weekend while riding with a group one of the guys Busted their belt. Its an 05 POO But i dont know how many miles he had on it but I do know he drives his sleds HARD. The guys were really surprised with how this belt had broken and how fast he was going when it did break that it didnt bust through the hood.

Now I was just curious if this has actually happend. How many think that could be possible. Like this thing didnt just break it EXPLODED into peices and was wrapped around places it shouldnt have been think a little peice *smooshed* through to the running boards.......

ANy thoughts or experiences?

·
Registered
522 Posts
*FAN~GIRL* said:

This past weekend while riding with a group one of the guys Busted their belt. Its an 05 POO But i dont know how many miles he had on it but I do know he drives his sleds HARD. The guys were really surprised with how this belt had broken and how fast he was going when it did break that it didnt bust through the hood.

Now I was just curious if this has actually happend. How many think that could be possible. Like this thing didnt just break it EXPLODED into peices and was wrapped around places it shouldnt have been think a little peice *smooshed* through to the running boards.......

[snapback]692557[/snapback]​
I doo it all the time. As a matter of fact just did it on sunday. My belt has about 600-700 miles on it. They don't last long when you are full throttle, on the brake, full throttle, on the brake!!!

·
Fanny
2,449 Posts
But has it broke SO HARD that it broke through the hood? Like is this possible I wasnt really paying attention but I heard it said and I thought hmmmmm is that possible cause if it is
Well guess it isnt REALLY a concern for me but man thats pretty dangerous

·
Registered
497 Posts
I blew a belt on my 98 670 hard enough to put a hole in the belly pan and bend the footwell piece. If you are going fast they can let go with lot of force. Usaually the belt gaurd will save the hood though.

·
Registered
522 Posts
*FAN~GIRL* said:
But has it broke SO HARD that it broke through the hood? Like is this possible I wasnt really paying attention but I heard it said and I thought hmmmmm is that possible cause if it is
Well guess it isnt REALLY a concern for me but man thats pretty dangeroud
[snapback]692569[/snapback]​
No it is not possible. When they wear down they will just shred apart. I guess maybe if a chunk of belt happens to hit a vent in exactly the right spot it could happen but I wouldn't put your money on it.

·
Fanny
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. What a crappy way to bust a sled......... darn belts. I was a little worried after seeing that happen. The poo driving was just laughing but I thought holy crap!
Good thought about the gaurd saving the hood some didnt consider that, likely thats what saved this one.......

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
HammerRev85 said:
*FAN~GIRL* said:

I doo it all the time. As a matter of fact just did it on sunday. My belt has about 600-700 miles on it. They don't last long when you are full throttle, on the brake, full throttle, on the brake!!!
[snapback]692565[/snapback]​
6-700 miles? I've never busted or shredded one, and I ain't light on the gas or brake. I replaced mine this year, but my other belt had 2 seasons on it. ~5000 kms.

·
Fanny
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With the winter we have had here and this guy just got this poo I dont think he had many like Im pretty sure he was sitting under 1000miles.
So thats also really low. I dont know like I said all I know is this guy is super nutso with the sled. No Fear in him.

Another question
*Yes I am full of them*

I saw somewhere to wash with soap and water and let dry and it keeps them longer......... REALLY?!?! I would think putting anything on them might make them wear faster like rotting or chemicals I know dishsoap is mild on the hands and all but chemicals from it sorta eatting away?

·
Hold It Wide Open Till You See God
2,311 Posts
My belts only last about 500 miles and most of the time when they go they send small pieces out of the left footwell. I've even had one belt delaminate, wrap arount the clutches and killed the motor instantly.
While we are on the subject of belts. What is everyone paying?
The last belt i picked up was 158 dollars taxes included!

·
Fanny
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last one Robin got was 100 + some tax that they charge on EVERYTHING now

I havent got one for mine yet........ yeah yeah I know.

·
Registered
522 Posts
alexd said:
My belts only last about 500 miles and most of the time when they go they send small pieces out of the left footwell. I've even had one belt delaminate, wrap arount the clutches and killed the motor instantly.
While we are on the subject of belts. What is everyone paying?
The last belt i picked up was 158 dollars taxes included!

[snapback]692610[/snapback]​
Yes very expensive. $100-$120 U.S.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I exploded a belt this season, the temps were warm and my belt was loose so it heated up and kaboom. It wrapped around everything, I had to remove the 2ndary and open it to get the melted cords out, it also bent the foot well too. I am still finding pieces of belt, cords and belt hair after another 700 miles. It was an old belt from last season and the new clutch kit just ate it up. Since then I have been fine. Warm weather and wet heavy snow will do it every time. It was so loud that I swore the chaincase went.

·
Registered
87 Posts
*FAN~GIRL* said:
Interesting. What a crappy way to bust a sled......... darn belts. I was a little worried after seeing that happen. The poo driving was just laughing but I thought holy crap!
Good thought about the gaurd saving the hood some didnt consider that, likely thats what saved this one.......
[snapback]692576[/snapback]​

I have seen quite a few where the belt has gone thru the belly pan and I have even seen one where it trashed the belt guard and the hood, but that was at 110mph on a long hard haul across the lake.

The point is, when a belt disintigrates, you don't know whats going to happen. You can usually "smell"
or "hear"
something just before the WMD hits, so back off the throttle quickly. Also DO NOT TOUCH THE CLUTCHES if this happens. They will be SMOKIN HOT! The main reason for a belt turning into a WMD is high temperature ( outside ambient and under hood heat from clutches and engine ) deteriorating the rubber and causing the laminate to seperate from the rubber and kevlar belting, causing "BOOM".

Always check your belt before you go riding. Always carry spare. Make sure the dealer showed you how to change one. Always break in a new belt properly ( do a search on this, it has been previously discussed). Avoid long prolonged runs a WOT across lakes or in deep powder, work your throttle, don't just hold it to the bar all the time).

So just be careful out there. But most of all have fun. This sport is fun and extremely enjoyable.

Use the double kiss theory, Keep It Simple Stupid & Keep It Safe Stupid.

jm2c

Superdave

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Ya, friend of mine bust a belt on his Form Z 670 and put it right through the belly pan. Chunks of the belt were all over the inside of the sled. Biggest piece left was about 3" long

·
planes take off against the wind
15,035 Posts
*FAN~GIRL* said:
Another question
*Yes I am full of them*

I saw somewhere to wash with soap and water and let dry and it keeps them longer......... REALLY?!?! I would think putting anything on them might make them wear faster like rotting or chemicals I know dishsoap is mild on the hands and all but chemicals from it sorta eatting away?
[snapback]692588[/snapback]​
The best way to extend the life of a belt before it is installed is to store it in a sealed bag. The rubber, nylon and kevlar and other parts will degrade over time with exposure to moisture, oxygen, ultravoilet light and other 'contaminents', or what we call AIR.
Sealing it will slow down those effects as much as possible.

Storing it so the belt is kept in a O fashion will prevent bends from taking a 'set' or memory in the belt.

Then when you do install it, yes wash it in soap and water - other chemicals can attack the rubber and kevlar. Mild soap is fairly inert and will not attack it. This is to remove the dust and dirt and 'oils' that are present on every belt from manufacturing, storing, shipping and handling (your hands and others). There will be some residue on the belt and washing it removes this. Also before you install it take a scotch brite pad and scuff the pulley faces to clean the aluminum oxide and old belt residue off them. (I also clean them with a non-clorinated brake cleaner, I do the belt as well. Maybe not soap and water but it is a cleaning chemical that does not leave a residue and does not seem to attack the metals or rubber.)

·
Registered
757 Posts
I wouldn't say its impossible for a belt to go through a hood but its not very likely if the guard if in place. If there was no guard on that dude's sled it could easily happen. I had a belt let go on my ZX one time and it actually tore the aluminum on the foot hold and ripped the one side clear off of the bulk head. If my foot would have been in there I don't think it would have felt very good.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
*FAN~GIRL* said:

2 years ago I blew a belt going down a side road at about 90mph. Needless to say, it wasn't pretty. I opened my hood and my clutch guard was bent to hell and laying on my pipe, my speedo cable was split in two, there was a huge hole in the belly pan under my primary clutch, the belt disintegrated for the most part and even today i'm finding little pieces of belt in places under my engine and clutches. It didn't go through the hood thankfully, the clutch guard took the brunt of that. Some rivets and cleaning took care of that mess.

·
Fanny
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK yeah his was a lake haul when it blew

SO it seems the verdict is....... the real problem is damage to the belly pan which makes 100% sense......

Interesting

·
Just Killin' Time Till Summer
1,258 Posts
Lost one on my Formula III at just under 100MPH
I could have carried home what was left in a "Sandwich Baggie"
When it went I thought I lost my engine it was so loud
It took the Spedo cable with it.

It had just under 3000 miles on it when it went.

I was going to change it after that ride as it would have been at 3000 ish.

·
???????????????????
1,466 Posts
My brother just got a (used) '99 formula III 700 triple. We went accross the lake, about a mile and a quarter, and were heading back when his belt blew at 90mph. I guess he's lucky because the only damage was to the belt guard. It bent it up a bit, but with pliers we were able to bend the mounts back. Belt was in a ton of pieces, but mostly 3 main pieces.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts