Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my sled around some fields of powder with this new snow and after awhile if I would go to carve and really get on it my belt would start squealing and wouldn't move as fast my belt it tight and I recently tightened my track because its new and was skipping and I'm wondering if my track being too tight would cause this

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
How old is the belt?

If your track is too loose or hitting a weird spot from being packed in a box from shipping it could ratchet and miss a cog. Just tighten and align to spec, the weird spot will work itself out.

But probably just getting wet from your powder turns.

Have you put any mesh over your vents in the hood or side panels?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The belt is an ultimax belt I've Ben running it for the past three years could probably use a new one but it still looks great. It seemed to happen when I would carve on the belt side so it probably was getting wet I think il loosen the track one or two turns on the tensioner and see if that helps

·
Registered
648 Posts
clean your clutch with wd 40 must be belt residue on walls of clutch, check your front axle bearing since you skipping track.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bearings are brand new this year my track was just too loose at first because I just put it on

·
Registered
43 Posts
DONT use WD40! Use brake and clutch cleaner. The WD40 is a lubricant and will leave a residue. The last thing you want on the clutch faces where the belt is supposed to grab is a lubricant. If there is belt residue on the clutch faces clean it off with the brake cleaner and a lint free rag.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Nothing on the clutch that leaves a residue, inside or out. Belt dust will accumulate and make the clutch work worse.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok il try that and I went out today and my track keeps ratcheting if you really get on it on the trails breaking through drifts and stuff I'm wondering if my drivers are worn out I havent checked my track tension yet I only put on 50 miles today would my track have stretched already? Last time it was prety tight

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I would be thawing sled out,and taking a really good look underneath...broken /loose skid pieces,bad bearings,missing parts/bolts,damaged track or drivers...if you are sure track was tight 50miles ago,and are sure its track that continues to ratchet....have you looked at chaincase...maybe its gears and chain "skipping" not track? lastly once you have ratcheting issue sorted out,I would be putting that bely in the spare location...3 years,sled is deserving of a new belt...just my 3 cents...Hardy

·
That's probably sarcasm.
2016 1200 Renegade X
20,972 Posts
My old sled, I thought was ratcheting, turned out the tension on my chain was way loose. There was an issue with the tensioner slipping on the adjuster. Fixed that, no more issue. Check your chain tension.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok I adjusted the chain and I noticed the track must have stretched from riding so I re tightened it today put on about another 40 miles and didn't skip once. But while I was adjusting the chain I noticed oil all over the backside of the chaincase witch is really frustrating because I just put brand new bearings and seals in this season

1 - 20 of 22 Posts