Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
The stock belt is the 383. This works great on the stock 1200 but if you ride very hard or have performance mods then you may want to go with a Gates carbon belt. You may want to use the Gates as a replacement as they might be cheaper that the 383

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
As far as size, the 383(stock 1200/600e belt) is the same size as the 391 belt, which is for the 800etec. The top dog belt as far as longevity and hardness is the 391. It is much more expensive but will last and last. Likely not needed on a 1200, unless maybe a turbo IMO.

383 stock 1200 belt is a softer belt, cheaper too....but not as cheap as the gates. Should do well for most riders.

Gates carbon cord 49c4266 belt found here http://www.c-tpowersports.com/2013website/product/gates_drive_belt.html

gatesbelts_LG.png

Is a good alternative to stock BRP belts, only cost 75 bucks and seem to hold up well. They also seem to be MORE consistent then both the BRP belts. The Gates will need a slight initial adjustment in your secondary belt height adjuster, but should then be good to go.

Dan

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
As far as size, the 383(stock 1200/600e belt) is the same size as the 391 belt, which is for the 800etec. The top dog belt as far as longevity and hardness is the 391. It is much more expensive but will last and last. Likely not needed on a 1200, unless maybe a turbo IMO.

383 stock 1200 belt is a softer belt, cheaper too....but not as cheap as the gates. Should do well for most riders.

Gates carbon cord 49c4266 belt found here http://www.c-tpowersports.com/2013website/product/gates_drive_belt.html
gatesbelts_LG.png

Is a good alternative to stock BRP belts, only cost 75 bucks and seem to hold up well. They also seem to be MORE consistent then both the BRP belts. The Gates will need a slight initial adjustment in your secondary belt height adjuster, but should then be good to go.

Dan
Ive been switching back and fourth between the 391 and gates over my first 650 miles and im positive the gates "feels" like it gives a harder pull and i seems to be a little quicker to 90 mph, on top end i feel they are both very close

·
OCD Sledhead
8,598 Posts
Ive been switching back and fourth between the 391 and gates over my first 650 miles and im positive the gates "feels" like it gives a harder pull and i seems to be a little quicker to 90 mph, on top end i feel they are both very close
That was exactly same experience with my etec8 too.....I think the 391 is so hard, it just does not grab as well...which leads to inconsistency. Gates carbon cord has always been the most consistent belt so far.

back in the machz days, I would have the stock mach belts for trail riding....but any lake digs or radaring we always ran the softer belt from the smaller models, they always pulled harder and better on the gun too.

another one of those things....391 for all your trail riding, lasts and lasts....then slap on that softer gates for hot rodding around town and messing with all your buds.

:rockindude:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts