Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I thought I would inspect my current belt on my 2004 renegade 800 X and see how it is holding up after 4000 km's. The kind of riding I do is field riding, ditch banging and mountain riding.
A new ski-doo belt measures 36.55 millimeters....

Calipers Finger Measuring instrument Audio equipment Electronic instrument

My current belt with 4000 km's measures 35.76 millimeters....

Calipers Musical instrument accessory Finger Measuring instrument Electronic instrument

Ski-doo specs say you can run a belt down to 35.3 millimeters....so, I suppose I'm getting close to the end on this belt. The belt shows mostly even belt wear with some breaks in the cord at the sides but nothing pulling away yet.

Continued......

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yes tell us . 350 hard miles , brand new gade and she ( belt )kersploded into a million piecs .

I hate cleaning up that mess never mind 150 large for a new belt .

I have since installed a flowrite for better cooling to see if that helps.

Whats the secret fellas ?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I ran the original belt all last winter for a total of 8500kms. I closed up the secondary once through the winter to get it to sit up about 1/16 over the sheeve but it was still in good shape......

·
aka DooNut.
1,623 Posts
I have mine installed and ready to run for this weekend. I cleaned my black side panels and taped a sheet of white paper to the panel to try and guage belt dust build up. I'll post my results...my 03 800 has been eating belts since day one. The most I can get out of a belt is about 1000miles.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Alot has to do with how the sled is driven!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I noticed on my sled, I have 2 belts I alternate with, both have 4000kms both within .03 of a mm, that the 2 halves of the primary are coming in contact now and showing signs of wear. When I measure the belt width and the pulley width at the top with the clutch closed the measurements are about equal, but I'm sure when the belt gets warmed up it gets squeezed to a point that allows the pulley halves to touch well before the belt can reach the top of the pulley, judging by the lack of pulley wear approx. 1/2 inch from the top.

I have my sled geared down and a fair amount of clutch changes, (Team secondary etc. ) so I'm sure if I changed to a new belt I'd see a top speed change. By running the 2 belts (alternating) I keep the performance of this sled pretty even throughout the season, I love the trail performance 0-90 mph, I not a big top speed guy so this suits me fine. I know this sled is fast (quick) judging by the sleds I run with and comments.

Thought I'd share this with everyone.

·
aka DooNut.
1,623 Posts
Deadman said:
[snapback]706958[/snapback]​
I drive it like I stole it...of course.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
HCSA Rev Rider said:
Deadman said:
I drive it like I stole it...of course.

[snapback]707070[/snapback]​
And being chased

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
WOT said:
the secret is simple, drive slow = long belt left. Drive out of each corner at full throttle, extended runs at top speed, all day long = 300 - 700 miles for a belt.
[snapback]707558[/snapback]​
Agree, If you get much more than 1000 miles out of a belt you are either lucky or you ride very cautiously.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Deadman said:
I've been to the mountains about 20 times in the last 2 years.... you cannot pussy-foot around up there.....WOT at 40 mph.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts