Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 Rev 800 summit X 151 and since day one I have had problems with belt life riding in deep snow conditions at 6000 ft. I have had some belts fail after only 200 to 300 miles. I have removed the plastic cover from the belt guard and drilled holes in the side panel to let heat out. I have had it into the dealer serveral times to check belt alignment and they say everything is good.

The sled runs great with good pull and holds 8000 rpm set on clicker 4 or 5 depending on how deep or heavy the snow is. My belt and clutches are getting very hot but the question is why? If my set up is good and the sled pulls hard with correct RPM range, what should I do next to extend belt life.

·
Sponsors
4,027 Posts
I to have had belt problems to the tune of 7 belts in 1300 miles. I have had only completely blew up 1 belt, it was a ULTIMAX XS, (junk belt) IMO. 1 ULTIMAX 3 belt started throwing cords. 4 Skidoo belts cords hanging out. I might be okay now I am running Dynamo Joe’s S8X clutch kit 19.6 (full set screw) pin weight clicker #3 19/47 gearing now RPMs stay 7900 to 8000 RPMS. Last time I had it out in my shop I checked my alignment and alignment was okay but the gap between clutches was off. I adjusted to 20mm like it is supposed to be (I think this was one of the problems) The easiest way to check the gap is to take the moveable face of the primary then you can get a dial caliper in for a good measurement. I have Rode 280 Hard miles sence changes and belt looks good, no weird waves on side of belt. Before the rpms would some times spike to 8300 (another problem) causing the secondary to down shift cause it is torq sensing and you loose HP when over 8000.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The geraing is stock so I think it is 19 top and 45 bottom with 10 tooth drivers. I will be ordering a 47 tooth bottom gear on Monday. Where's the best place to buy a 47 tooth gear? Will also be trying secondary float spacer next trip to see if this helps.

Can someone explain in detail where and how to messure and adjust setup of clutches. My dealer told me that the engine is locked into place and can not be adjusted. The only adjustments are engine torque stop and secondary side to side alignment. They have checked this serveral times now but say it O.K. Is it possible that the moter is out of alignment from the factory?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have 1300 miles on my original belt. I have an 04 summit 800ho with 19/45 gears. I have never went threw a belt. This is what I do and have done on all of the sleds Ive owned and have never shredded a belt. I take the belt off and start the engine, then I get some 60 grit sand paper and lightly let it touch the primary shivs as it turns. This will take any glaze off, you want the primary to grab and the secondary to slide, Dont do this to the secondary. I ride at 8000 to 10000 feet elevation. I also take the belt into the house and use a brillo pad and some dawn dish washing soap and scrub the sides of it to get the glaze off. But I do agree with the others, gear it down it will also help.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I thogught the the X model had 9 tooth extroverts from the factory, hence making the gearing fine (it's those with the 10 tooth and 19/45 that get the benefit from gearing down to a 47 tooth gear......essentially putting the gearing where it is on the X models)

·
Registered
640 Posts
I thogught the the X model had 9 tooth extroverts from the factory, hence making the gearing fine (it's those with the 10 tooth and 19/45 that get the benefit from gearing down to a 47 tooth gear......essentially putting the gearing where it is on the X models)

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Jumping Jack your dealer is right the engine is fixed in place. Best advice is Idahodoos spec he is on the right track as far as gearing and clutching. The Dynamo Joe Clutch Kit is the answer for better belt life. The secret with the TRA is lots of pin weight for belt grip. Dynamo Joes Kit will save you money in the long run from buying drive belts. His kit is so easy to tune , with the Dalton pins. Running 19 gr. pin weight vrs. 13 or 14 gr. stock pin weight, will grip the belt better to keep the clutch and belt temps down, in turn the drive belt will last way longer. Give it a try it is money very well spent.

·
Sponsors
4,027 Posts
Ski-B said:
Jumping Jack your dealer is right the engine is fixed in place. Best advice is Idahodoos spec he is on the right track as far as gearing and clutching. The Dynamo Joe Clutch Kit is the answer for better belt life. The secret with the TRA is lots of pin weight for belt grip. Dynamo Joes Kit will save you money in the long run from buying drive belts. His kit is so easy to tune , with the Dalton pins. Running 19 gr. pin weight vrs. 13 or 14 gr. stock pin weight, will grip the belt better to keep the clutch and belt temps down, in turn the drive belt will last way longer. Give it a try it is money very well spent.
[snapback]699522[/snapback]​
I am real close to my sled running perfect, by this weekend I will be running #20 pilot Jets Its just fun as hell to ride Thanks Joe
& all from Doo talk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.