Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A belt is good for about 450 miles on my sled. I rebuilt both clutches this weekend and the amount of belt dust inside the clutches was unbelieveable (2000 miles since last done). I am now running a setup I know to perform well on a friend's Mach with cool clutches...only my clutches are still very hot to the touch.
What's up? Can the alignment be that far off in this chassis?

It may be worth noting that my mileage and belt life took a hard hit this season over last season. The only difference was the fuel pump update at the beginning of this season and I know the motor has to be lifted to do that.

Anything else I may be missing? The rest of the driveline seems fine and free flowing. Both clutches are fresh and clean. Both clutches get extremely hot to the touch in very little ride time.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Go to sled-x.com and purchase one of the vents he is selling, this is hands down the best solution to the belt life problem. We have been running these since last year. No more belt fade, no more belt wear, cool clutches.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
align the clutches. i had the same problem. i aligned them by removing all the shims on the secondary and putting the secondary back on. jack up the sled and run it at lik 10 mph and let the clutch center itself. measeur the distance from the head of the bolt to the secondary and thats what your shim stack should be.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
saint1000 said:
align the clutches. i had the same problem. i aligned them by removing all the shims on the secondary and putting the secondary back on. jack up the sled and run it at lik 10 mph and let the clutch center itself. measeur the distance from the head of the bolt to the secondary and thats what your shim stack should be.
[snapback]727192[/snapback]​
What saint1000 said!!!!

Your over-heating problems will be solved!!!!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well how 'bout that! I don't have any shims on my secondary! I think we're onto somethin boys.
Can someone post a pic of your secondary shimstack?

Maybe my dealer took off the secondary and didn't put it back together the way they found it.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
i cant get you pictures untill tommorow, but there should be 2 washers and a bigger saucer looking washer.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
You could 'float' the secondary and problem solved.....

Here is the big cup washer and shims....

Gas Motor vehicle Engineering Auto part Automotive tire

Here is the secondary spacer, if interested in this concept.....

Wheel Automotive tire Finger Rim Bicycle part

Close up of the spacer.....

Gas Household hardware Cylinder Gun accessory Metal

Floating the secondary will allow the clutch to automatically adjust to the engine under load. The engine always torques in and towards the secondary under load. Helps to eliminate belt dust (bad for carbs) and wear on the belt. My buddy runs a 2005 Summit 1000 with the secondary spacer and his belt (original one) has over 1000 miles on it with very little wear. My 2004 Renegade 800 has over 4000 km's on the current belt.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
This might sound like a stupid Question but the spacer that the bolt goes
into been made up to fit into the secondary? I have two Z's and niether
has that piece.DaHHHHHHHa
Thanks for the info!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts