Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I'm confused I need to replace my 166 belt, and I'm not sure what to replace it with. I must of got one of the skinny 166 cause I'm out of deflection already and it only has 300 miles or so on it.
I've been reading threads on belts including the replacement 383 which sounds like a very poor replacement according to some. So I'm running 03.5 BM 800 that's extended to 136. Can anybody recommend all around good belt to use? Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
ok, I'm confused I need to replace my 166 belt, and I'm not sure what to replace it with. I must of got one of the skinny 166 cause I'm out of deflection already and it only has 300 miles or so on it.
I've been reading threads on belts including the replacement 383 which sounds like a very poor replacement according to some. So I'm running 03.5 BM 800 that's extended to 136. Can anybody recommend all around good belt to use? Thanks for any help...
Do a search on here. DJ, if I remember correctly, wasn't impressed at all with the 383 belt as a replacement for the 166. DJ couldn't get consistent RPM'S with the 383 belts while dialing in his kits. Another resource is Bill Cudney; he'll know too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I believe I'm running a 377 or is it a 277?? I can't remember exactly which one it is. I'm pretty sure DJ told me it was a good belt to use. It wasn't cheap tho I remember THAT much.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do a search on here. DJ, if I remember correctly, wasn't impressed at all with the 383 belt as a replacement for the 166. DJ couldn't get consistent RPM'S with the 383 belts while dialing in his kits. Another resource is Bill Cudney; he'll know too.
I read that one too so I'm kind of reluctant to try the 383. May I'll look into the 377???

·
Registered
65 Posts
I tried several make and model as the -166 replacement and let me tell you that any belts I tried doesn't last very long. the original BRP 166 is the only one that does a good job, it's expensive but worth it. Try on ebay I think it the best place as for the price.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I never got to try one yet ,but they say xs803 is really good
I have run an XS803 belt on my summit and was absolute junk!

On the other hand I have had good luck with the Gate Extreme 43X4320 belt. Ran it a solid 700 miles last season before trading it out. Never blew, just got glazed on the sides so I changed it. $45 is the right price too. That is deep snow, hard mountain riding. You easterners ought to be able to get plenty more out of em.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here is what I know. The 166 comes in two flavors, one with White lettering and the other with Orange. The White lettered belt seems to be running a few thousands on the narrow side and the Orange is a few thousands thicker. I ran both and wear seems to be the same. I do run a floating secondary and I beleive that it makes a difference. Arguements can be made either way, but when you put a new belt on and have the adjustment set a 5, then you question the $100.00 or so dollars you just spent. As for the other belts, never ran any so I can't comment.

Dan

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is what I know. The 166 comes in two flavors, one with White lettering and the other with Orange. The White lettered belt seems to be running a few thousands on the narrow side and the Orange is a few thousands thicker. I ran both and wear seems to be the same. I do run a floating secondary and I beleive that it makes a difference. Arguements can be made either way, but when you put a new belt on and have the adjustment set a 5, then you question the $100.00 or so dollars you just spent. As for the other belts, never ran any so I can't comment.

Dan
I emailed bill he's still running the 166 belts they still have alot of them in stock. He suggested the 383 if I can't find any 166 around. I'll have to look and see which color writing I have on mine and then decide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts