Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading up to cable, WI for a week on this sunday and I friend of mine who has a 2001 or 02 polaris edge 600 says if I beat him on the lake he will pay for all of my expenses for the trip best 2 out of 3. I was just going over the entire sled and checked my deflection.. The belt creeps off idle but the belt is sitting low in the secondary about 1/8 in bolow the rim... I was thinking that this will give a higher ratio out of the hole dog or boggin but more topend is this correct?? Should I replace the belt ?

Is there anything else I should do to insure a free trip??

sled info
both stock both 1in track
him 96 studs 2300miles
me 144 studs 4700 miles and a fresh top end about 150 miles ago

·
Registered
757 Posts
It sounds like you center to center distance is a bit too much, (the belt deflection is too tight). Thats whats causing your sled to creep ahead. Set it up to the correct center to center distance. Then adjust the belt height in the secondary to where the cords are 2 mm above the top of the sheaves. Put the sled on a track stand and check the track. At idle it should move hesitantly or move with the help of a finger or two pushing it.
With the belt raised up 2 mm you will get better hole shot, it will be like starting in a lower gear. Your clutches will still shift out the same up to top end though. You won't lose any mph up top. If you leave the belt sitting low in the clutch it will only give you a poor hole shot. There will be no gain in top end either. The only thing the belt position affects is taking off from a dead stop. Once you take off and the sheaves start spreading, the rest of the shift remains the same.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dude that's not cool you tell someone that I think that it's this..( center to center ) but you do not give a way to test or a way to fix the problem.

That's like telling someone I know a secret and then not telling them!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
No secrets there, just assumed you knew how to adjust those things. Well you need to find the correct c to c distance first. There should be a diagram that of that in your owners manual. It will tell you how to measure it also. Once you have that figured out you need to adjust it by loosening up the motor mounts so the motor can tilt. Adjust it to the correct distance with the adjustment bracket on the clutch side of the motor. I'm not sure how yours is set up but I'm assuming there's a piece of threaded rod connecting the motor to some plate on the bulk head. That would be how you adjust c to c distance.
Now to adjust the belt height look near the center of the secondary for 3 small allen screws. Loosen the lock nut on each one and turn the screws out to raise the belt. Turn them out equally and in small increments. Check the belt height by starting the sled with it on a track stand. Give it some gas so the clutch engages then let the track coast to a stop. measure the belt height and repeat untill the belt is 2 mm above the sheaves. Thats all thats to it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help I think i have it all squared away there are no adgustment on this sled for some reason so I had to make shims to place under the bolt and rubber bushing to shim it up for the front 2 engine mounts I looked in the manual and it have me the spec's I needed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts