Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
|I have done what it says, and even with the adjustment on 6, it will not more the track at idle.

what can i do here? belt has only 200 miles on it.
help me out.
thnks

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
It sounds worn out. Let me guess, it's a Doo belt. Buy a Ultimax, they last a lot longer.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TeamScream said:
It sounds worn out. Let me guess, it's a Doo belt. Buy a Ultimax, they last a lot longer.

[snapback]749088[/snapback]​
wow, after only 200 miles?
i have the tool kit moved, and the plastic off the side so it runs cooler. that doesnt matter?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
noyzee said:
TeamScream said:

[snapback]749088[/snapback]​
wow, after only 200 miles?
i have the tool kit moved, and the plastic off the side so it runs cooler. that doesnt matter?

[snapback]749091[/snapback]​
That helps but it still sounds like it is worn out.

·
Registered
860 Posts
ok.. so you have the secondary on 6... but how high above the sheaves does the belt sit in the secondary?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mach1 said:
ok.. so you have the secondary on 6... but how high above the sheaves does the belt sit in the secondary?
[snapback]749171[/snapback]​
ok, you have to go easy on me, im new at this, so far im running off what i have seen here on dootalk!
im very mechanical, just not with sleds. i build race cars, motors, ect ect.
but the secondery is the larger of the 2 with the center adjustment and the primary is the one with the clickers, correct?

the belt rides pretty high in there, it is probably sitting above the clutch by 1/16 or maybe even a tad more.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
noyzee said:
mach1 said:
ok, you have to go easy on me, im new at this, so far im running off what i have seen here on dootalk!
but the secondery is the larger of the 2 with the center adjustment and the primary is the one with the clickers, correct?

the belt rides pretty high in there, it is probably sitting above the clutch by 1/16 or maybe even a tad more.
[snapback]749244[/snapback]​
How tight is your track?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dynofox said:
noyzee said:
mach1 said:

[snapback]749244[/snapback]​
How tight is your track?
[snapback]749266[/snapback]​
its not to tight, i think its about 1-1.5" or so. last i checked it it was right where doo recomended.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pipeman said:
You certainly have something out of whack, I have 3000 miles on original belt.
[snapback]749389[/snapback]​
yhea, the belt looks fine! i dont think thats the issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Loosen up the track, it will take ten minutes.
Remove the caps on the two rear idler wheels
Loosen up the nuts on both sides (8mm ??)
Back off the long nut holding the rear axle
Do it equal amounts on both sides, untill the track hangs free an inch or so.
Check secondary
Re-adjust to desired tension

Enjoy the extra power, additional mileage.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sled_maine said:
Loosen up the track, it will take ten minutes.
Remove the caps on the two rear idler wheels
Loosen up the nuts on both sides (8mm ??)
Back off the long nut holding the rear axle
Do it equal amounts on both sides, untill the track hangs free an inch or so.
Check secondary
Re-adjust to desired tension

Enjoy the extra power, additional mileage.
[snapback]750248[/snapback]​
this is adjusting somthing other then the 2 rear track tention bolts?

again, you have to forgive me, im new at this.
but i want to fix it, so im listening!

ps, its the stock belt to, i tried my spare and the stock. both are about 200 miles or so. the sled only has 600 miles (one belt is more in the 300 mile range)

·
Registered
860 Posts
ok... so assuming that its the stock doo 166 belt, riding 1/16" above the secondary (bigger clutch) sheaves, and the track is not "too" tight, things should move pretty easily... with the sled running on a stand, rev it up and spin the track a couple of times, then let it stop... the track should creep, and if not, you should be able to move it pretty easily, eg, by pushing a lug with one finger... if not the track is too tight...

pop the cap off of ONE of the rear wheels and loosen the bolt a couple of turns - its a 16mm bolt... then loosen the track tension bolts - 16mm - (they run parallel with the rails)... measure them - make sure they're the same distance out for your track alignment... then tighten the wheel bolt back up and test again

now - this adjustment is critical for holeshot performance - too loose and you're gonna ratchet the track

on the flip side - too tight and you start to loose top speed...

isn't this fun

if belt deflection and track tension/alignment doesn't solve it - start looking at driveline bearings/suspension bearings... a lot more involved, so lets hope its the first things

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mach1 said:
ok... so assuming that its the stock doo 166 belt, riding 1/16" above the secondary (bigger clutch) sheaves, and the track is not "too" tight, things should move pretty easily... with the sled running on a stand, rev it up and spin the track a couple of times, then let it stop... the track should creep, and if not, you should be able to move it pretty easily, eg, by pushing a lug with one finger... if not the track is too tight...

pop the cap off of ONE of the rear wheels and loosen the bolt a couple of turns - its a 16mm bolt... then loosen the track tension bolts - 16mm - (they run parallel with the rails)... measure them - make sure they're the same distance out for your track alignment... then tighten the wheel bolt back up and test again

now - this adjustment is critical for holeshot performance - too loose and you're gonna ratchet the track

on the flip side - too tight and you start to loose top speed...

isn't this fun

if belt deflection and track tension/alignment doesn't solve it - start looking at driveline bearings/suspension bearings... a lot more involved, so lets hope its the first things
[snapback]750814[/snapback]​
being a new sled, i would hope it isnt bearings ect.
but i will check the track. i did adjust it, but i only used the rear bolts to push the track back. didnt know i had to do anything with the wheels

·
REV XP Nut
1,248 Posts
The rear axle bolts under the rear wheel caps hold the track ajustment from moving thay have to be loose to ajust the track and then retighten after the ajustment is done I run the track as loose as possable for less rolling resistance but not to loose as to let the track drive to rachet ( spin ) when under hard acceleration I've been doing this for 40 years it works

·
Registered
837 Posts
Sounds lke you are running out of adjustnemt on your secondary, you may need to have a shim taken out the secondary. Doo belts stretch quite a bit in the first few hundred miles, by having a shim removed you'll have lots of adjusment throughout the life of the belt and wen you put a new one on you'll start out somewhere around 0-1.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
boondocker, thanks, that makes sence to me, and i will check that out. i was not aware of that!!

Winko, how do i remove a shim? go easy on me im new. lol

·
Registered
837 Posts
noyzee said:
boondocker, thanks, that makes sence to me, and i will check that out. i was not aware of that!!

Winko, how do i remove a shim? go easy on me im new. lol
[snapback]750986[/snapback]​
I'm not sure, I haven,t had my secondary yet. My dealer took it out on the 10 hr inspection.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts