Do you spend the time to actually break a belt in "properly"
yes5650.00%
no3127.68%
sometimes 2522.32%

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am just curios to see if how many people spend the time to go the 50km never going over half throttle or what ever you do to break a belt in properly. Me personally when i put on a new belt i taker easy for probably 5-10 mins of riding until the belts heat up then just ride like normal, i still get about 500km to a belt and im happy with that

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes, ALWAYS. I break all of them in, the spare on my sled is broke in. Because if I need to change it out on the mountain the last thing I want is a brand new belt on my 10,000 deg clutches. I also warm the clutches and belt up before hammering on the throttle. I'm not blowing belts and guys I ride with that don't do this - are blowing belts. The guys that unload their sleds, start them and ride off are not doing their belts any favors.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I've never broke a belt in and in the 6 years of riding and thousands of miles I've never broken a belt.

·
Registered
621 Posts
A belt every 500km? I have a 700 and havent broken it once. It pays not to gun the throttle.

·
Summer Sucks!!!!!
8,989 Posts
....at $150.00ish a belt, heck yea! Also when new, wash with dish soap/scotch brite/hot hot water! Mountain miles are hard on belts I do what I can to ensure no problems.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Yes, ALWAYS. I break all of them in, the spare on my sled is broke in. Because if I need to change it out on the mountain the last thing I want is a brand new belt on my 10,000 deg clutches. I also warm the clutches and belt up before hammering on the throttle. I'm not blowing belts and guys I ride with that don't do this - are blowing belts. The guys that unload their sleds, start them and ride off are not doing their belts any favors.
BINGO!!!!!!

I always take it easy on a new belt for the first 20-30 miles or so. The belts last alot longer when they are broken in to your sled. Anyone who just gets on a sled with a new belt and hammers it is BRP's best friend....LOL

·
Registered
659 Posts
Never broke a belt in didn't known there was a procedure to do it. I ride mostly groomed trails last sled was a 2010 800r renegade 5800 miles 0 to 100mph plus same belt. I'm sure deep snow may have different results. What is the belt break in procedure?

·
Registered
151 Posts
When I say, "break a belt in" what I mean is I trail ride it. Belt break-in is different for trail riding and mountain riding. When I used to trail ride I never blew a belt in over 2,000 miles of riding, the belt would just wear out. With mountain riding you can wear a belt out in a day if it's deep enough. Going 10 - 20 miles per hour with the throttle pinned tends to get things hot under the hood. Not breaking a mountain sled belt in is the kiss of death. Some times you have no choice but to pin it from the parking lot - when the snow is fresh and untracked you carry two extra belts and hope it's enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Never broke a belt in didn't known there was a procedure to do it. I ride mostly groomed trails last sled was a 2010 800r renegade 5800 miles 0 to 100mph plus same belt. I'm sure deep snow may have different results. What is the belt break in procedure?
Sorry but what you do with riding mostly groomed trails is perfect for breaking in a belt. I try to break in belts ONLY on the trail back to the truck. Even if it's only 5-10 km at a time on the spare belt (maybe 2-3times). I do it on the way home because I'm tired and find it easier to ride slower. On the way up I'm too excited to not hamer on the throttle and jump into the pow. I gone through 7 belts in 5000 mt. km and that was with 140km on the first crappy belt.

·
Profile Creeper
14,942 Posts
A belt every 500km? I have a 700 and havent broken it once. It pays not to gun the throttle.
500km yeah thats about average belt life depending on how you ride. if you ride like my grandma....and dont gun the throttle and have any fun then your belts will last awhile

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
500km yeah thats about average belt life depending on how you ride. if you ride like my grandma....and dont gun the throttle and have any fun then your belts will last awhile
I only carry one spare belt with me and if I go through the spare then I borrow one from one of the other guys cos they always have a spare cos they ride like wusses and NEVER blow belts.

Mark

·
Profile Creeper
14,942 Posts
I only carry one spare belt with me and if I go through the spare then I borrow one from one of the other guys cos they always have a spare cos they ride like wusses and NEVER blow belts.

Mark
i also only carry one belt. dont have any place for another lol but yeah stuff happens things break..is it going to stop me from riding the way i ride and stop me from having fun? NOPE! how are you going to get anywhere if you dont gun the throttle sometimes or at all???? why even ride right?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thats cool to see that this many people dont do the belt breck in. i kinda figured it would be the other way around..but hey winter is way to short to be taking it easy and not going hard for 50km....when i hop on my sled and just feel the power it has is is impossible to go easy

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
pretty hard to break in a belt when you've only got 10 to 15 kms of trail then its 2-4 feet of pow all day..... I try to be nice on the trail up, but once we drop off the side and start boondocking to get to the alpine, its just grip it and rip it!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I try to break all my belts in I'm running a Summit 146 we don't get to hit many mountains around these parts but it's the boondocking and ditch banging that kills my belts.... WOT for miles upon miles of ditches with 5 feet of snow is HARD on riggin'... I've taken the sled of the truck before with a new belt and went straight to the ditch and the belt didn't last 50 miles..... Breaking them in gets me much better mileage...

Procedures I usually take is washing it with HOT soapy water and rubbing it with the scotch bright until the "Shine" comes off the sides. I then throw it on and run the sled about 30 miles of up and down throttle.. Punch it and let off... ect... Apparently they say driving at a steady speed for long runs with a new belt isn't good for it...

MM

·
Registered
171 Posts
i try to break my belts in but, trail riding is just not my style i get really bord. i doo believe breaking in the belts make them last longer

·
Registered
111 Posts
Never broke in a belt properly and never blown a belt. It gets broke in on the trail up to the riding area. Some times I'm lucky to get 50km on it in a day of riding. When I change out a belt the old one becomes my spare.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts