Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This coming year is my second season. My first year riding was spent on powder and learning how to ride all over again. AK riding is completely different when compared to my child hood back East in lower 48. Currently have a 2009 800R Renegade MXZ. I kept everything stock last season because I was new again to the sport. However this coming season I want to upgrade. I have contacted the dealer and told them I want at least a 2" or better track and they have suggested a top gear of 20 and a 102L chain. When I asked about doing either a big wheel conversion or skid extension they said they don't do it. I would like to either keep the same length or stretch the track out to 144" or 146" with an extension or big wheels. I have read so many different topics on this and I am confused as to which would be better. Which would be better, either lengthening or keeping the same size track, but with longer lugs. In addition to the track I need to install a taller riser; however I am trying to see how tall a riser I can go without having to change out cables and lines. I am 6'3" 190 lbs and the current stock riser dam near killed me last year. Since the summer started I have already purchased a BOSS seat and Slydog skis. I am either going to pay someone to do this for me or wait till I return from my deployment. Paying someone is more the option that way I can return home and just get on and go without waiting since I will be returning in Dec. Any information or further questions would be appreciated. I know there are a lot of threads on these topics; however I am looking for more specific answers besides how to upgrade.

Any Inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Welcome to Dootalk!
There are alot of Alaskan's on here that will hopefully chime in about the tack length thoughts. From what i have read on here, There are a bunch of Gades doing an excellent job getting around everywhere in AK. the 2" track i would consider a requirement for the powder and offtrail like you mentioned.

At your height the stock riser is gonna be way to small as it is made for a rider that sits down 90% of the time. I would recommend the 8" or even the 10" riser. I ride with 2 guys both over 6 feet and they like the 8" riser. I also ride with a guy at 5'10" that likes the 10" riser. so its personal prefference but atleast the 8". With the stock cables you may be able to fit the 8" with some re routing of the brake line. The safest and wisest way is to order the summit brake line for 65 bucks and this will let you go all the way to the 10 if you want and still have enoungh slack to be safe.

Thanks for all that you guys are doing over seas and we wish you a safe return.

·
Registered
294 Posts
X2 Thank you!!! And I wish you a safe return!!!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Welcome to Dootalk!
There are alot of Alaskan's on here that will hopefully chime in about the tack length thoughts. From what i have read on here, There are a bunch of Gades doing an excellent job getting around everywhere in AK. the 2" track i would consider a requirement for the powder and offtrail like you mentioned.

At your height the stock riser is gonna be way to small as it is made for a rider that sits down 90% of the time. I would recommend the 8" or even the 10" riser. I ride with 2 guys both over 6 feet and they like the 8" riser. I also ride with a guy at 5'10" that likes the 10" riser. so its personal prefference but atleast the 8". With the stock cables you may be able to fit the 8" with some re routing of the brake line. The safest and wisest way is to order the summit brake line for 65 bucks and this will let you go all the way to the 10 if you want and still have enoungh slack to be safe.

Thanks for all that you guys are doing over seas and we wish you a safe return.
Thanks for the input. Yes I know it was for someone that sits. It was not easy riding last year, but I wanted to wait till I learned a little more. Always train with less that way when you get more your abilities are greater. I will order the cable, and the 8" riser. Just need to narrow down to either Ski Doo riser or maybe Powermadd Riser with a Mountain Bar. And definetly the summit cable to be on the safe side. Thanks for the info and I appreciate the sentiment. And we will safe. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts