Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here on this forum and also to sledding (-few times renting sled). I bought ski-doo MXZ 500 2003 couple of weeks ago, and now after week up north skiing/sledding I'm on love with my MXZ.

On last day riding I blew a drive belt and when I replaced it with new oem belt, but couldn't figure out how to set tension to it (sled constantly tries to creep forvard). I bought online workshop manual for it and wathced videos about belt change, but in manual and videos/instructions there is three bolts that I (if I undertand correctly) need to undo and then just rotate the driven pulley to set tension? Well on my sled there aren't any of those bolts. There are the 6 markings that you use to see the tension setting but no indicator that shows what setting is in use. I'm thinking if there is somehow part missing since this is old sled. Here is picture of my driven pulley.

Also when I rode I used my good motorcycle helmet that I use in the summer, and immediately decieded that I need to invest to propper snowmobiling helmet when my visor was frozen/fogging inside out, so on the way back from north picked up CKX QUEST RSV MOOSEK with heated visor. Now I am on the progress of installing the plug for it and with wiring diagram found the accessory plug where the plug originally would go. When I meassure the AC voltage (my sled don't have battery/starter so everything is AC) the voltage is somewhere around 9.5-14.5v depending what revs I give. My helmets fitting instructions says voltage should be 12-13.6v AC or DC, will I break the visor with my voltages?

And lastly I bought my sled as a MXZ 500 and fairings says that too but workshop manual says there are two 2003 MXZ 500 variants: adrenaline and trail. My vin number on the tunnel is: 2BPS213082V000039 which one my is?

Well this was a long one but thank you for helping, sorry if these questions are in the wrong section, already answered or stupid, but I would really appreciate help.
Sledding is awesome and I think this is hopefully the start of a long hobby.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
The belt should sit in the secondary so the top of the belt(not the cogs) are flush with sheave.The cogs should sit above.

Sounds like you may have the wrong belt if its creepy forward....

Voltage for visor will be fine. You will be happy with the electric visor for sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just got back into it myself. What I've seen till now are 3 bolts on the end where you adjust your belt deflection/tension. You don't have those. Are there set screws inside those threaded holes pictured. If there are spread your sheave with the belt changing tool. Then turn all set screws clockwise half a turn. This spreads your sheaves and drops your belt so it will not grab at idle. Adjust belt to azzkickers' advice.

·
Registered
761 Posts
In regartds to whether your sled is an adrenaline or trail, I cannot help with justthe VIN number, but a picture of your shocks might help. Shocks will be the primary differnce between the two, assuming you still have the OEM shocks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the visor should work, good.

I didin't have my old belt with me at the time so the store just looked up the right belt from the computer with make, modell and year so I'm not 100% sure if it is the right one. It has gogs only on the inside, outside where the markkings are is smooth. Here is picture of my old and new belt.

The workshop manual too says that the belt needs to be flush with driven pulley edge.

I think I mixed height and tension adjustment. Is it heigt or tension that is adjusted with those 3 bolts and twisting?
No, there don't seem to be any set screws inside there. Maybe there were bolts in those holes at some point?

And also picture of my shock

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actualy now looking yesterday after changing the belt it was not flush with the top and I couldn't figure out how to set the height or tension.
Then moved on to installing the visor plug and apparently when checking the voltage and reving it up with track of the ground it has set itself to right height. (But still creeps when track is of the ground) But I still don't know how to adjust the belt because my pulley looks diffirent than everybody elses.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
That driven (larger) pulley looks strange to me. It may be a replacement. I don't see the three screws which adjust the puley width Which it should have.

Is your engine fan cooled? If so the belt that was on it 415060600 would be correct.

Lynn

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I believe so, yes.

Lynn

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Yeah, your new belt is for the 500 and 600 LC motors. If yours is fan cooled it's either a 380 or a 550.

Your clutch is missing 21, 22, 23 in the diagram below.

Photograph White Product Rectangle Font

Attachments

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Maybe load a pic of the motor.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
The VIN indicates it's a model year 2002 made for Canada.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sometimes when you change the belt it gets caught in the secondary and will stay in there until you lift the back and rev it up so it can open and close. If its not moving forward any more you will probably be ok... If anything the belt you have on it now is probably stronger than the old one because its meant for a Liquid engine... Drive it and see how it works, unless of course you can take the belt back...

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
A little further research on the VIN indicates a 2002 MXZ 500 Fan. You got the 700 belt because you told them it was a 2003. There were no 500 Fans in 2003. Just liquid. The fanners in 03 were 380s and 550s.

If it's me, I'm buying 3 M6 x 30 hex bolts and 3 lock nuts and 3 washers at the hardware store and installing them for adjustment. Sounds like the secondary needs to be opened just a small amount to be correct with that belt.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay that makes sense. I was told it was 03 and registeration told 03 too. Well now you know.
You reckon I can use this belt or is it better to buy the correct one?

If those bolts are just regular bolts I'll just put normal bolts there.

It is my first time changing drive belt so bare with me. So I adjust the belt height with those 3 bolts and I adjust the tension by changing pulley distance?

Give me a moment to go and take a picture of the engine.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
HOLD ON guys. That secondary IS CORRECT / OEM issue for the hair dryers with RER. To adjust you need to disassemble and add / remove shims ( # 22 in parts list)

Reactions: LETMGROW

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
HOLD ON guys. That secondary IS CORRECT / OEM issue for the hair dryers with RER. To adjust you need to disassemble and add / remove shims ( # 22 in parts list)
That makes sense. According to the parts list they did sell him the wrong belt. If he gets the right belt he may be fine. Any adjustable secondary with the three bolts I am used to is cut out for the lock nuts. It's a different ball game with the reverse secondary. I wouldn't attempt any adjustments until the right belt is installed.

Lynn

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
On the right side of the tunnel there is a data plate with the VIN and a date of build. Just for curiosity's sake check the build date and let us know.

Lynn

1 - 20 of 77 Posts