Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1301 - 1320 of 1330 Posts

·
GSX = Gone Swamp X-ing
76,425 Posts
One other thing I forgot to mention about IPAs and pale ales is to pay attention to the canning date on the bottom of the cab. The fresher the beer, the better it will be (obviously), but this is especially true for IPAs and pale ales. They can start to lose some of their flavouring after a few months, whereas lagers can last up to a year or two depending on the style and brewery. Porters a s stouts can also often be “aged” and maintain or even gain some flavour.

That said, I’ve had some pale ales and IPAs with 4+ month old canning dates and they were still fine but from what I’ve been told, the fresher the better.

As for date stamps, North American beers tend to have the canning date stamped on them. Sometimes it’s an actual date (and some even have a best before date) while other times it’s a letter/number code. My understanding is A, B, C, etc. usually corresponds to the month with A = January and so on. I have however seen some “M” codes which would be the 13th month so much m not sure about that one. 🤷‍♂️ It’s usually a letter, a 2 digit dat number and then the year number (e.g. 22).

For European beers, the date stamp is most often the best before date. Sometimes they give the canning date and the best before date. The date stamp is usually a month/day/year layout.

·
GSX = Gone Swamp X-ing
76,425 Posts
Speaking of date stamps and older beers, this one I’m having right now had a May 2, 2022 date stamp. It was technically past date when I bought it at the Beer Store but I didn’t notice...🙄

I tried it anyways being it’s a pilsner (type of lager) and it’s still fine. I’ve had some that weren’t good past the date (metallic and flat tasting) and others that were great.

This is a very nice pilsner. Light, sweet and smooth. I would recommend this one to anyone looking to try a Euro beer. Don’t let the million different languages on the can scare you! It is very approachable. 👍
Tin Beverage can Aluminum can Tin can Beer
Tin Beverage can Liquid Aluminum can Fluid
Blue Font Electric blue Circle Computer component
Beer Drinkware Tableware Liquid Tin

·
GSX = Gone Swamp X-ing
76,425 Posts
In my beer recommendations above, for the Ontario craft lagers I forgot to mention Cameron’s Brewing, specifically the Captain’s Log lager and the Cosmic cream ale. These are both incredible craft beers that are easy to drink and are some of my favourites. I can’t believe I left them out! 😮

·
GSX = Gone Swamp X-ing
76,425 Posts
Now I’m onto this one before bed. It has lots of flavour for a 4% session IPA. It also packs a bitterness on the finish. This is quite a bit more aggressive than some other session IPAs I’ve tried. It’s a decent beer that wants to show it’s bigger brothers it can hold its own. 😆
Hand Beverage can Tin Aluminum can Gesture
Tin Aluminum can Tin can Beverage can Fluid
Font Tin Beverage can Gas Electric blue
Product Musical instrument Red Font Material property
Drinkware Tin Beer Tableware Aluminum can

·
GSX = Gone Swamp X-ing
76,425 Posts
Tried another IPA after softball this evening. Really liked the first tastes, then the fruitiness was overwhelming. View attachment 2000928
View attachment 2000927
You jumped right in! 😛

Try some session ales and session IPAs to start out with. They’re not usually the juice bombs that the full IPAs can be and are a little easier on the tastebuds.

·
GSX = Gone Swamp X-ing
76,425 Posts
For an extra light beer this one still packs some good flavour. It has a good amount of citrusy hoppiness, no bitterness and a refreshing feel. It’s not just a good beer for its type/style...it’s actually a good beer.
Hand Tin Beverage can Beer Aluminum can
Hand Beer Tin Bottle Aluminum can
Liquid Bottle Fluid Plastic bottle Drink
Drinkware Beer Tin Tableware Beverage can

·
GSX = Gone Swamp X-ing
76,425 Posts
Well I tried it. Unfortunately I’m not a fan. I do not get any of the described flavours except for a prominent bitterness on the finish. What I do get is an almost oily smell from it, like a gear oil or an ointment. It’s weird to say but that’s what I’m getting from this. It’s drinkable but not overly enjoyable which is too bad because I was excited to try this one. I don’t know whether it’s the style or if I got a bad can, but it’s definitely not what I was expecting. I have 5 more cans to go so we’ll see if the next one is better. 🤨
Tin Beverage can Aluminum can Tin can Drink
Hand Gesture Finger Font Material property
Bottle Drink Finger Font Alcoholic beverage
Tableware Drinkware Beer Ingredient Beer glass

1301 - 1320 of 1330 Posts