Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Bearing Life

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  spud62w 
#1 ·
I've got two 2017 900 Aces, both with 7500-8000 miles. I'm thinking this summer may be right to replace major bearings. If they can't all be reasonably accessed for repacking, I'll probably just tear it all out and do it right.

What kind of lifespan are we seeing on the driveshaft and jackshaft bearings? I do change the chaincase oil every year and have never had any type of failure in the chaincase. And I don't pretend that I'm a procross racer.

Are there any good how-to posts out there? I didn't see any in this forum.

Thanks

#2 ·
This past summer I went through my 2020 Renegade Enduro 900 ace that had 7000 miles on it. I order the tools and some of the parts from C&T power sports https://c-tpowersports.com .

Pulled the Secondary clutch and shaft to service rollers, and spring. At the same time, I regrease the jackshaft bearing. It was in great shape. remove the brake caliper and brake rotor to lube the drive axle bearing.

Also removed the p drive primary clutch to replace the spring and install new rollers and axles.

Which I now lube the rollers every 1500 miles.

Then remove the rear suspension to service the all the idler bearings. Had to replace to of them and regrease the other ones.

I went to you tube university to find how to the above servicing.

#3 · (Edited)
So tough to predict bearing life on a sled as riding style, age of bearing type of trail ridden (snirt vs. Powder) can all effect lifespan.

Read this post and there are other ones too but this guy did 16700 miles with original bearings. Miles/Klicks on Your 900ACE

I have 10,000 miles on a 2015 with all original bearings.

It's always in the back of my mind to replace and it's a lot nicer to do in the summer when you have time vs a breakdown in mid winter. Depends if you want peace of mind or roll the dice. 🙂

Take a look at this thread, Jim Jamieson did just over twenty thousand miles in one season and I don't believe any bearing were changed? That speaks to my point about age of bearing.

#4 ·
Fixit156 gave you excellent advise.

get it in the air and go through the front suspension. A arm bushings may be worn out. Ball joint if not worn inject some grease into them. Bushings that hold ski on are probably sloppy. Replace them and lube them well. Fresh carbides. Check alignment 1/4 inch toe out.

being it’s an enduro insect the air lines to the rear shock for damage.

drain the brake fluid and fill with fresh. Same with coolant. If battery is over 4 years old buy new ones. While your there add a charger plugin to the battery and keep a maintenance charger on it off season.
Time to change the fuel filters too. Pull the tank and pump. Clean out tank. Clean pump sock filter. Replace inline gas filter.

Now your ready

Reactions: Fixit156
#5 ·
Thanks everyone. Peace of mind is what I prefer. I don't want to be trail side or have a lost weekend due to a lack of preventive maintenance.

It sounds like the PTO side driveshaft and jackshaft bearings can be lubed in the machine. Are the chaincase side bearings a safer bet, lubed by the gear oil?

#6 ·
The chain case side will still have the rubber seals in the bearing so not directly lubed by the oil but some will definitely get in to them. I wouldn't worry about replacing those with your mileage. Maybe once you get to 20,000 miles. lol
Thanks everyone. Peace of mind is what I prefer. I don't want to be trail side or have a lost weekend due to a lack of preventive maintenance.

It sounds like the PTO side driveshaft and jackshaft bearings can be lubed in the machine. Are the chaincase side bearings a safer bet, lubed by the gear oil?

#7 ·
I puy on a new track on my 2017 last year. I did the bearing on the driveshaft just cause it was out. I was OK but had a little ptiing in it too so I changed it out. Jackshaft was just grease it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.