Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Digging up an old topic. It actually started on summit/FR page but this is probably a more appropriate location.

See below:

Just looking for some input from riders. I have been overall quite pleased with my 154x2.5" Freeride. I've got an itch to change over to a new sled this year. Changing every 2-3 years is kind of fun.

Anybody have any new thoughts on the 146" length? I am considering trying out a BCXRS 146x2" for the next few years. The Freeride is a beast off trail and takes me everywhere I want to go. It is has been, and I always expected it to be more work on trail. My usage ends up being probably around 80/20 - 70/30 off/on. The off trail usage is boondocking flatlands, hydrolines and going to and from camp and inland lakes for icefishing. We get great snow here, lots of lake effect.

The off trail positives are endless on the freeride; the on trail things I would like to correct if I could is the need to really lean into the corner as well as push. I am wondering if the wider front end and the C-motion and DS-2 skis are all that I need to improve this area - in which case I would order a 154" BCXRS. I don't want trail sled manners; I just want to get some minor improvements compared to my current ride. Another reason I didn't order a 146" in my19 was the extra tunnel LINQ adaptor. Now that they have a nice mountain bag that takes up only 1 LINQ I can take all of my normal bags and shovel/backcountry kit to camp without storage issues. This in addition to the pickup in trail manners on the 146" length has me reconsidering it as an option.

Bottom line I am a little torn currently on trading in for the BCXRS 146x2.0 vs 154x2.0 vs 154 x 2.5. I think I would spring for the 7.8" display even though it means getting ES vs SHOT.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My '16 FR came as a 146 x 2.5 and was great on the deep flats, aggressive trail it sucked. It wasn't enough for the mountain off trail riding I ended getting into so I switched out the 146 for a 154 x 2.5 skid.
I still go on week long trail ride trips in Quebec with some friends so I picked up a 146 x 1.6 track locked out the Tmotion had Ian rebuilt the shocks and I threw a pair of C&A skis on the front. It now trail rides as well as the trail sleds.

When I go to the mountains I throw the 154 back on it.

Long story short
I would say that the Freeride 146 with a 2" track, lock out the Tmotion and it will be better than the BC for both off and on trail.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I love my 154 x2" BCXRS in the hydro lines and it's pretty good on the trails too. That being said, if I lived in the Soo, and was younger, and had a hydro line in my backyard I might be thinking Summit/Freeride. One thing to consider, you can load more stuff on the BCXRS 154 tunnel. Extra gas to get you to the hydro line further north on the D trail, which I'll be trying next week sometime

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love my 154 x2" BCXRS in the hydro lines and it's pretty good on the trails too. That being said, if I lived in the Soo, and was younger, and had a hydro line in my backyard I might be thinking Summit/Freeride. One thing to consider, you can load more stuff on the BCXRS 154 tunnel. Extra gas to get you to the hydro line further north on the D trail, which I'll be trying next week sometime
We need some fresh snow. The hydrolines are fairly bulletproof right now. Supposed to get 15-20cm on Tuesday.

But you are right the 154x2.5" FR is a blast in that stuff. I also wish I was younger (38 now). I've mellowed a lot. I would love some input from guys riding that stuff in 146". Im sure I am just way over thinking this 146vs 154 debate again. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
We need some fresh snow. The hydrolines are fairly bulletproof right now. Supposed to get 15-20cm on Tuesday.

But you are right the 154x2.5" FR is a blast in that stuff. I also wish I was younger (38 now). I've mellowed a lot. I would love some input from guys riding that stuff in 146". Im sure I am just way over thinking this 146vs 154 debate again. Haha

38! I didn't mellow out til I was 58! Lol!

Well we're coming up with two 154 2" BCXRS's, one 146 2" BCX, one 146 1.6" BC, and one 154 2.5" Summit Expert. My buddies with the 146's will likely spring order 154's for next year. I don't notice a whole lot of difference in the trails between them.....Summit sucks on the trail though.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Long story short
I would say that the Freeride 146 with a 2" track, lock out the Tmotion and it will be better than the BC for both off and on trail.[/quote]

I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. IMO, a locked out T-motion will never be as good on the trail as C-Motion. It's also a PITA to have to buy a 16k dollar sled, then spend money on a track swap and TMO lockout. I don't know, might not be a big deal but still annoying. I'd rather buy something that fits the bill off the get go.

The BCXRS will be better on the trail in 100% of scenarios. Gauge package, gauge angle, seat, skis, tipped up rails, no flex edge, C-motion too- it's a blast on the trails.

Off trail the BCXRS from my experience with the 2" track is an absolute weapon. It's not a 154 but I'm not a fan of the 154BC. I see no need for it in the lineup. If you need a 154 you're most likely 85/15 or even 90/10. Anything more than a 146 I consider a full blown mountain sled. If you feel you really need a 154 for the mountain riding you said you do, go summit or freeride. To each and to his own.

But like I said, if you realistically do a mix of both, BCXRS 2" 146 all the way. If you go out west (or wherever you mountain ride) you could always toss on a 2.5" track for the extra oomph.

Reactions: BigEl

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I moved from freeride to bcxrs. I have had three free rides prior all 146 with 2.5.

Here is the thing. Freeride was less than fun on the trail but manageable.

Negatives are t motion, low rent gage, seat that isn't great for trail. Flex edge isn't great for trail.

I rode a 146 bcx last year and compared one my 18 freeride I didn't notice much difference in a .5 of lug but I was blown away by how it trail rode. Tipped rails help on turns and c motion is basically sc5 which was a great skid pre r motion.

This year I snow checked 2020 bcxrs 154 with 2 inch track. It gets around on the hydro lines and the off trail stuff I do. Was just in Valin with buddy on 146 freeride. He's trenching when I'm not. Also he can believe how much better the bcxrs trail rides.

His trail sled is 137 renegade and like me he finds the trail penalty of the freeride significant while almost not a big deal on the bcxrs even on a 154.

I like the seat, premium gage, the fact I can dial handle bar hear from the bars etc.

If I lived in revy I think a totally mountain sled would be the winner but for Atlantic Canada and QUEBEC it's bcxrs all the way!

I have had both and can have either. I chose the clear winner in my opinion for trail and off trail.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I moved from freeride to bcxrs. I have had three free rides prior all 146 with 2.5.

Here is the thing. Freeride was less than fun on the trail but manageable.

Negatives are t motion, low rent gage, seat that isn't great for trail. Flex edge isn't great for trail.

I rode a 146 bcx last year and compared one my 18 freeride I didn't notice much difference in a .5 of lug but I was blown away by how it trail rode. Tipped rails help on turns and c motion is basically sc5 which was a great skid pre r motion.

This year I snow checked 2020 bcxrs 154 with 2 inch track. It gets around on the hydro lines and the off trail stuff I do. Was just in Valin with buddy on 146 freeride. He's trenching when I'm not. Also he can believe how much better the bcxrs trail rides.

His trail sled is 137 renegade and like me he finds the trail penalty of the freeride significant while almost not a big deal on the bcxrs even on a 154.

I like the seat, premium gage, the fact I can dial handle bar hear from the bars etc.

If I lived in revy I think a totally mountain sled would be the winner but for Atlantic Canada and QUEBEC it's bcxrs all the way!

I have had both and can have either. I chose the clear winner in my opinion for trail and off trail.

Thanks for post! This confirms most of what I have been thinking about for the 154 BCXRS.

Would you wish you had went 2.5" instead of 2" on the 154?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Nope the 2 is great. Not a lot of vibration vs the 2.5.

Last year I put a 2.5 challenger on my 18 freeride and it was way less buzzy than the flex edge but still had a bit of vibration.

The 2.0 seems to be as big as you can go before the large track vibration seems to get more noticeable.

If I was 70/30 off trail then go for it. I run a bit of trail to get o my off trail and to be honest I like trail riding the bcxrs even though I have an xrs 137 in the stable.

You know when you on a ride and you stumble upon a section of untouched snow or a clear cut and your on your trail sled. You go into it but with a lot of spin and the wide front end sucks for side hills... when I take the bcxrs o find the trail penalty only noticeable if we are rising super aggressive trail. Even then I keep up just fine, but when we find a POW filled untracked area it's totally worth it!

I still enjoy my trail sled and it is better for on trail but if I had to pick one sled bs being super lucky to have two I would go bcxrs all day!

Pull the trigger you won't be sorry!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I run a 2020 BCXRS with the 2" track. Hydro line running it's fun, floats good but is still only a 146 skid. It is a blast on trail and handles itself exceptionally well. My buddy has the 154 FR and off trail I can roll with him but I also work harder.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have a 146 BC x with a 2.3 1/3 track I also have a 154 BC XRS with a 2-inch track. The 146 was my wheelie machine and nimble the 154 was my hill climber. It hands-down out Climb the 146 has better flotation and the front end stays down however when I want to do wheelies it doesn't want to with 2-inch track. This past weekend I put a 2.5 extreme Challenger on. That is my new go-to. If I want to do wheelies it does hundreds of feet on the back bar. I finally got the big lug bug. I did notice with the 154 that going to a 2.5 track does make it push and a little more tipping in the trails. Also note that I have the zrp widening spindles on both and Grand Touring sway bar with and sway bar Link mod. These are a perfect crossover sled. Not a trail sled not a mountain sled what does both very well.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Quote"The BCXRS will be better on the trail in 100% of scenarios. Gauge package, gauge angle, seat, skis, tipped up rails, no flex edge, C-motion too- it's a blast on the trail."

The above may all be true but if you are a <a>80/20-70/30</a> off/on trail as the OP stated I'm not sure that stuff is as important but the 3" wider front really hampers you off trail.

Here's a quote from another BC post

the more a sled works well on trail it lacks off trail and the more a sled works well off trail it lacks on trail imo.
I agree with the above that's why I believe the FR with a locked out Tmo would be the better option, good enough for the little trail riding to get him to the offtrail where it will totally blow away a BC. The Tmo isn't really needed for off trail and locking it out will help with the trail manners and is a cheap simple option.

As I said in my original post I hated my 146 x 2.5 on the trail but that's not why I bought it, I should have said I hated my FR with a 146 x 2.5 for aggressive trail riding it was fine for going from one play area to another I mostly backcountry ride not just tear up a flat field and I quickly realized the 146 wasn't going to cut it. But I still like to go to Quebec with my trail riding friends so I bought a used 154 skid and a new 154 x 2.5 turned the 146 into a 146 x 1.6. So when I want to go on a week long trail riding trip I swap out the skid and it goes from a "true great backcountry" sled to a really great trail sled. Now you do t have to go to the extreme I did but I wanted the best of both worlds without buying another 16K sled

Again I believe after having both a BCX (though not an 850) and a FR you can't have both you have to get one or the other or settle for a $16,000 so so sled

JMHO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts