Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after my first ride on my new 600 Sdi, I tested the battery voltage and it seemed a little low like 12.2 volts. But I didn't check before the ride, so I thought it my have dropped just sitting waiting for the first snow.

So, I charged it up, took a charge fine, and tested at 12.8. Right where it should be. Fired up the sled and put the meter back on the battery and it showed a little over 13. Increased the rpm's some, and it went up a little more to 13.5.

so, my logic figured that it was obviously putting juice to the battery and that at higher RPM's it should probably be charging fine.

Put 350 km on the sled over this weekend not really worrying about it, and everything ran perfectly. Absolutely love this sled. However just for fun after the ride I put the meter on and got a reading of 11.8. Way too low for my liking. Seems to me that in a few hundred more km, I'll have a dead battery and dead sled.

Most of the 350km was pretty fast running, so its not like I was not giving it a good chance to charge.

Not making sense to me. If the battery was bad, I'm surprised it took a good charge at home on my charger, and held 12.8 v for over a week of sitting.
If the sled wasn't charging, why am I picking up higher volts at the battery terminals when its running?

Any suggestions or experience with this type of problem.

FishHog

·
Registered
25 Posts
You might allready know this, (Not sure how technical you are).....but maybe this is from the cold? If you leave the sled outside the voltage will drop considerable amount by the next day if its cold.

You proboly know this, but just figured i would make sure...

--John

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately that isn't the problem. It will actually drop during the day while riding, compared to the cold reading I took first thing in the morning.

I do appreciate the thought however. I'm fairly good technically, which is why this condition is not making sense to me. Seems to me, that if the battery was bad, it wouldn't take and hold a charge. And if the charging system was bad, that I wouldn't see a higher charge at the battery leads while the sled is running.

FishHog

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
Just ride till it dies.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But then I would have to let my buddy's Yami tow me home.

not really my idea of fun.

FishHog

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
Reason I say that is because my old SDI is doing a similar thing...except the charging light is going off...anyway the dealer is having major trouble locating the problem, and my buddy hasn't been on many rides because of that damned light flashing...so if he rides it until it dies (which he did) now they might have more luck finding the cause...the speculation was that it was just the light malfunctioning...now that the sled has died again that rules out a lot of other possibilities.

·
Registered
133 Posts
This weekend my elec start failed the 3rd day on the trail. Had to pull start it. Got home sled sat in garage for a day, went and hit the button and it fired right up. So I am going with the Gremlin story. What was the temp while riding. I was in about 5 deg (f) out when mine started going on the fritz.

·
Registered
549 Posts
FYI Leaving your landyard/teathor cord on especially SDI's will draw on your battery over time. I have heard this from a few people as well the dealership i got my new Gades from

In case this is true you might want to remove your landyard/teathor cord when done riding or put in storage.!

I would recommend a good Charger to maintain your batteries in the offseason as well.

Last year when I picked up my 04 Gades one of them was not charged properly from the dealer and had to be recharged.

These batteries are not cheap and should be maintained unless your made of money or just don't care!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Temps were just a little below freezing, and it wasn't the tether, as the only time I had the tether on, I was riding.

I hope I have better luck than your buddy Yellowknife. If you guys find the problem, I would appreciate you letting me know what it was.

thanks,

FishHog

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
Will do...so far the stator, voltage regulator, and battery have been replaced. Now they are going to replace all 3 again, and replace the speedometer as well since it sends info to the ECM and could be part of the problem I guess...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still having this issue.

Dealer replaced battery and voltage regulator even though neither tested bad. He didn't know what else it could be. Put 350km on this weekend, and its down again.

Dealer is frustrated as I am.

Anyone else have this issue, and found what the problem was. Other than this, I absolutely love this sled. I haven't hand a single issue with it, but unless I'm going to carry a spare battery, I'm going to have to cancel my touring trips that we have planned. Really don't want to get 500km from home and have a dead sled.

Anymore info from your old sled Yellowknife?

thanks for any help,

FishHog

·
Registered
103 Posts
Same problem here with 2004 600 sdi. Found that one of the 3 relays in fuse box was sticking and caused battery to not charge. I think it was the #2 relay but I am not sure. Try checking yours. My dealer just gave me 3 new ones and that fixed the problem.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have a buddy with a 2005 600 sdi with the same problem.The battery just keeps discharging and even after being back to the dealer and replacing the battery and who knows what else the problem still persists.I will let him know about the relay.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well, its nice to see I'm not the only one. Hopefully BRP will identify this problem and offer the dealers the solution.

hopefully faster than they handled the ring issue.

FishHog

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got off the phone with the dealer. Said relays tested fine, but they hooked a volt meter up to the battery and went for a ride. Up to 5500 rpm it would charge the battery, then after 5500 rpm it would drop off and stop charging, and actually drain the battery.

BRP suggested replacing the stator, so they are doing that and will take it for another ride with the meter on and see whats up.

Atleast they found that there is a problem.

FishHog

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
Make sure they replace the stator with one that is correctly wired OR check the wiring on the one currently in the sled...there is a known problem with BRP stators being incorrectly wired. Make mention of it for sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts