Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

battery light blinks and engine shuts down

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  REVKEV 
#1 ·
Started having trouble with my 2004 600sdi

the battery light was blinking and beeping. After a few minutes the sled died
I waited a while with the side panel open thinking it might be a heat issue and then it started again and ran fine. We were over 100miles from home.

Next day left the hotel and it started beeping and flashing again on and off. Within 30 miles of home it started beep/flashing again and shut off. Started it and it ran but kept beeping and flashing until it stopped for the last time 10 miles from home and would not start. had to tow it home

Anyone else had this problem?
I really don't like sleds stranding me.

I phoned two dealers and they suggested taking it in for service. Doesn't do much for you when in the middle of no where though

#5 ·
Revulator said:
I've had similar problems that turned out to be the stator. Battery is the easiest place to start though...
[snapback]750718[/snapback]​
Thanks guys:

I gave up and took it to the dealer. He had no guesses but will probably call me today.

Funny thing, I called three dealers, talked to service and not one could give me a guess. I would have thought that the flashing and beeping light would have been some kind of warning code that bombi would have told them about.
I'll let you know what it turns out to be.

#7 ·
Its the battery that have undervoltage... The cause?? Either bad battery or the sled doesn't charge the battery when running.

Fix?? Replace battery temporarily and check the charging current. Should be around 14.7VDC.
If it charges correct the battery is bad, if not... either the stator or the voltage regulator.

#8 ·
Looks like you guys know what you are talking about.

Just talked to the dealer.

He thinks it is the stator also. Supposedly the part costs $300.00 not sure how much I'll get charged for labout.

The computer did not tell him anything.

I;ll be selling it when I get it back.

Any sled that leaves me in the middle of a field is no sled of mine.

#9 ·
REVKEV said:
Looks like you guys know what you are talking about.

Just talked to the dealer.

The computer did not tell him anything.
[snapback]751296[/snapback]​
Hmm... your dealer is not telling you the truth... In BUDS... there is a one side called "monitoring"... in there he can read the battery voltage and if the sled is running he can read the current battery voltage aswell. By that he can determine if it charges the battery correct.

That is what I can read at work anyways....

#11 ·
Well it doesn't take any longer then 30 minutes to find out if the stator is toast since the pipe and muffler needs come of.
To replace the stator is not such a big job in a Rev.... is dooable in just under 1,5 hours with a new ignition timing adjustment.

The price... can't answer that since I don't live in Usa/Ca.

#13 ·
It sounds like the stator to me. I had a friend that had the exact same thing happen and it was the stator. The deal wacked him big $ to fix it. I think it was in the $600 ball park.

I have replaced stators in many other machines, but not a rev. It looks like you don't have much room to work between the stator and the frame support. I was looking at mine the other day thinking that I would have to pull the motor when and if the stator fails. I am glad to hear that it can be done in the chassis.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
i had similar problem, but it turned out to be one of the relays under the hood in the front. '05SDI. i swapped one for the other and it ran.

you can see the stator output in BUDS, and if not you can check it by plugging in cut-off WeatherPak connector and hitting it with a DVM. anything around 12v means good stator.

to check you battery, just hook it up to a trickle charger on 2A setting. mine said "FUL" after 30 seconds of charging, so that's when i checked the relays. i don't believe it's your stator since you were able to get it back running after letting it sit. batteries don't just recharge on their own. just me though.

i wouldn't sell the sled based on this occurence. electrical happens, and often the resultant problem is intermittent.

#15 ·
mxz21 said:
It sounds like the stator to me. I had a friend that had the exact same thing happen and it was the stator. The deal wacked him big $ to fix it. I think it was in the $600 ball park.

I have replaced stators in many other machines, but not a rev. It looks like you don't have much room to work between the stator and the frame support. I was looking at mine the other day thinking that I would have to pull the motor when and if the stator fails. I am glad to hear that it can be done in the chassis.
[snapback]751395[/snapback]​
Its not very spacey down there but... just enough space to do the job. The frame have a hole cut out for the big nut that holds the magneto so getting tools to release it and retighten it is no problem. For the three bolts that holds the stator... just use an ordinary hex wrench.

Remeber that the big nut needs to be retightend with 125Nm of force and use strong loctite on the threads.

#16 ·
Dealer says it was the stator. He says it was burnt and the wires were hanging out.

Thinks it must have got really hot at some point.

I'm wondering if it could have been going for a while. The sled wasn't really snappy. Could it have been responsible for poor performance or would it just have caused the failure?

Can't clear 100mph on speedo. It was a little faster than a 600 prox out of the hole but there was no top end. My wifes 500ss if way faster out of the hole.

Should be done by tommorow, I will let you know the damage.

#17 ·
Mine just did this, it is the fuel system relay. 40 bucks.

Just pull one of the other relays... i think fuel is s4.....then swap them and see. You will lose lights but it is better than being towed.

KK

#18 ·
REVKEV said:
Dealer says it was the stator. He says it was burnt and the wires were hanging out.

Thinks it must have got really hot at some point.

I'm wondering if it could have been going for a while. The sled wasn't really snappy. Could it have been responsible for poor performance or would it just have caused the failure?

Can't clear 100mph on speedo. It was a little faster than a 600 prox out of the hole but there was no top end. My wifes 500ss if way faster out of the hole.

Should be done by tommorow, I will let you know the damage.
[snapback]753456[/snapback]​
sled is ready the bill comes to $731.00 CDN supposedly the stator was $430.00 of that. Kind of sounds like a rip off but I am by nature a cheap SOB. What do you guys think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.