Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking of getting a battery blanket or maybe install a second battery, i have a 2016 skandic 550f, i do icefishing and alot of times im by myself 7-10 miles way out on a lake, wanna make sure i have no problem starting, peace of mind, i would love to install a engine block heater for in the morning but i do not believe ski-doo makes them for my particular sled, any pros or cons on either? other than the cost of another battery is there any drawbacks to adding another battery? i understand if i install 2nd battery may be able to quick connect and disconnect to take indoors with me at night? thank you guys.......

·
Registered
456 Posts
Does this sled have a pull cord? On a 550 I would add a primer and it should start very easily. If you are physically unable to crank it, that's another story.

There are no block heaters for fan cooled sleds but you could add a 60 watt incandescent bulb on an old fashioned trouble light, it will put out some heat and keep the underhood warm.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
i was thinking of getting a battery blanket or maybe install a second battery, i have a 2016 skandic 550f, i do icefishing and alot of times im by myself 7-10 miles way out on a lake, wanna make sure i have no problem starting, peace of mind, i would love to install a engine block heater for in the morning but i do not believe ski-doo makes them for my particular sled, any pros or cons on either? other than the cost of another battery is there any drawbacks to adding another battery? i understand if i install 2nd battery may be able to quick connect and disconnect to take indoors with me at night? thank you guys.......
I think it's much easier / cheaper/ versatile to get one of those booster packs.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I was going to say magnetic heater, but does the 550 not have plastic shrouding everywhere? Could you actually get to anything steel besides the exhaust? If so that would be a good plan.

·
Registered
14SkandicWT600Ace 16MXZ900&600Ace
606 Posts
When I was doing car development in the Arctic, we found that just putting a battery blanket around a battery helped a lot, even if it wasn't plugged in. We also found that plugging in a battery blanket for even an hour or two before the first start of the day was more than enough most of the time. With the blanket in place, the re-charging during the drive seemed to keep the battery warm enough, so it would take a re-charge. The built up heat seemed to carry over for the subsequent starts of the day, even after extended shut downs. We had battery minders and such, but found the electric blankets for an hour or two worked the best. Some folks talk about bringing a battery into the room at night and using a trickle charger. Taking a battery out and putting it back in with stiff wires at -40 and below is not a trivial activity, even with a welding plug connection.

We made sure we always had fresh gas, and ran "Regular" when an engine permitted it, not "Premium". Regular has a lower Octane, which means it ignites easier.

On really, really cold nights, we would also put an old style, 25W trouble shooting light under the hood for a couple of hours before starting. The engines had block heaters, but found that the battery blankets and the light shining on the belts was enough in all but the really extreme conditions. (The belts at start up were the biggest concern when temps approached the -50's.)

As far as a Skandic in Very cold weather, no real experience.

Good luck, looking forward to read what others have to say.

_Jack

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
all that makes sense, i always use premium gas with little or no ethanol, i will start using the cheap gas it sounds like, i do have a primer ball on it, appreciate all the tips, i am no power lifter, the pull start did give me some problems, lol

·
Registered
14SkandicWT600Ace 16MXZ900&600Ace
606 Posts
last fill at the end of the season
Alainm has a good point. During the season, burning "pump regular" should work best, as long as the Octane matches your engine. The issue with "Pump Regular" is the alcohol. Up to about 5% to maybe 10%, the alcohol is not an issue. Modern engines tolerate the alcohol very well.

Trouble is when Gas with Alcohol is stored.

The Alcohol is fantastic at absorbing water. IF you ever accumulate water in your gas tank, a shot of "Dry Gas" (aka Alcohol) works wonders. But... If you put your sled into storage with a tank full of 10% Alcohol, - the Alcohol absorbs the moisture that is in the ambient air that cycles through the tank with temperature changes. The Alcohol evaporates faster than gas, and by the end of summer, not much is left. The water that was absorbed into the Alcohol is dumped into the tank.... And that is not good.... So, as Winter comes to a close, switch to Rec Gas that has no Alcohol. It does not have to be premium. Premium frequently has Alcohol, just like Regular.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts