Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The 2nd most interesting man in the world
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my engine apart , the piston skirt broke and took out the cylinder . I sent my crank out , a couple of the main bearings felt rough even after cleaning . I was going to put it back together stock , but maybe I can get a little somethin' somethin ' for my efforts . Anybody running thinner base gaskets ? I always have access to premium . Is it worth it. A little voice in my head says leave it alone , but who wants to listen .

·
Registered
17 Posts
No good idea.
The rotax 800 as enough comp. already.
You will only make the sqeryl speed higher
which result in more uncombusted fuel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not worth it, unless you do plan on doing alot more to compensate for the higher compession. Most people use a thicker gasket but shave the head, this not only changes the squish gap,(compression), but it changes the port timing, and unless you plan on running high octane fuel and changing other components like exaust, intake and clutching, just leave it alone... Besides with the right pipe and clutching that sled will go jus fine!

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
Boloney!!!!! Put the thinner gasket in it, its what the factory boys do for drag racing to stay within "stock" specs, in fact you can get a 4 hole from the race dept or if thats not possible for you, straightline performance sells a .012 reuseable base gasket for about $25 . Gasket changes dont make enough difference in port height to matter unless you go to a real thick aftermarket gasket with a head reshape or shim and different head. In the end with the thinner gasket you'll make more torque and accelerate harder, Im sure thats what youre after.

·
The 2nd most interesting man in the world
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for drowning out the little voice ! What doo you think you gain 3 hp ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
i just had to put a piston in my 03 800, i went with the thinner base gasket, just figured any little bit helps. honestly, i can even tell the diff and sled runs great!

·
Registered
179 Posts
anyone know what the factory gasket is? I have been runnin a 6 hole, but im not actually sure what factory is.....01 mxz 800

·
My lifestyle determines my deathstyle.
2,124 Posts
I just went from a 6 hole to a 5 only because thats what I had. I just hope I can still hold on!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hey fellas, I'm new to this forum, but hope to get involved in some topics.
I think installing a thinner base gsk. is a good idea as well, the only comment
I would make is to not get to small a squish area. The 97 race manual
suggests a minimum of .050" gap at a point 90* to the intake/exhaust ports or inline with th piston pin. Bear in mind, it is stated that a squish area this small
requires the use of high octane fuel (premium may not be enough alone) to safeguard against detonation. As a point of reference, my 97 MXZ 670 had a
squish of .076" stock. I decreased this to .062" with a thinner base gsk.
No problems. I only did this to try and get a little more out of it and try to keep ahead of my pals as I'm sure you all do. I do believe my sled ran better, pulled
a little harder and was a little better on fuel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts