Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where I ride, the trails mostly connect the small towns. In some of these towns/areas you can ride right up to the B&G and park in the same lot as the cars and trucks vs out in the ditch or by the dumpsters. Pretty cool IMO.

What I have noticed is how the staff at the B&G's go all out for snowmobilers. It seems that nothing is too much to ask. Frankly, I'm flattered and consequently I tip very generously.

In most cases snowmobilers want separate checks. No problem.

Snowmobilers, clutter up the space with all their helmets and heavy coats. No problem.

Snowmobilers are typically loud and a little rowdy because they are happy to be with their friends who are mostly "The Guys". No problem.

This seems to be one of the bright spots for the snowmobiling population.

Your experience/opinion?

·
Fire Box
20,485 Posts
Where I ride, the trails mostly connect the small towns. In some of these towns/areas you can ride right up to the B&G and park in the same lot as the cars and trucks vs out in the ditch or by the dumpsters. Pretty cool IMO.

What I have noticed is how the staff at the B&G's go all out for snowmobilers. It seems that nothing is too much to ask. Frankly, I'm flattered and consequently I tip very generously.

In most cases snowmobilers want separate checks. No problem.

Snowmobilers, clutter up the space with all their helmets and heavy coats. No problem.

Snowmobilers are typically loud and a little rowdy because they are happy to be with their friends who are mostly "The Guys". No problem.

This seems to be one of the bright spots for the snowmobiling population.

Your experience/opinion?
Same experience. But I have noticed that locals and regulars get a little more attention than out of towners... Which i guess is with anything, not just snowmobilers...

·
Banned
59,630 Posts
Most Snowmobilers' have fat wallets when it comes to this sport and business owners know this. :rolleyes_old:

Reactions: Fadmon30

·
Registered
147 Posts
I know that for the most part in Northern Wis., the snowmobile crowd is what the owners DEPEND on to keep the business afloat. When there is a bad year for snowmobiling, you will see a lot of bars go under. The ATV community is catching up pretty quickly in Northern Wisconsin and that's helping out the small businesses but the snowmobile crowd still is the biggest influence. Because of this, I make it a point to stop and eat out whenever we travel.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I went to the Balsams in Dixville Notch a few years ago for lunch.

I remember my parents saying they went there back in the 80's for dinner with another couple...and the bill was $375 for dinner and drinks.

My lunch...which consisted of a grilled cheese sandwich and two beers....was $38, not including the tip.

But I'd go back there in a heartbeat, just for the relaxed atmosphere, and great service!

·
Registered
16,788 Posts
My experience, when up in the UP, is that they LOVE snowmobilers because thats more income in the dead of Winter. Around Lake Gogebic you have the ice fisherman too but I dont think the numbers are anywhere close to the amount snowmobilers.

Most snowmobilers are tourists(dont live where they are riding)

Here in N IL(DeKalb/Kane Co) there are signs up the say "Welcome Snowmobilers!" at a few bar/grills but these places are usually in more populated areas so they have their non-snowmobiling regulars that show up. These placed dont NEED tourism to make it through the Winter. These places however do LOVE their Motorcyclists.

But this season, there hasnt been any amount of snow to ride around my area. 0 miles put on in IL this year.

·
life is short, live long
29,081 Posts
I went to the Balsams in Dixville Notch a few years ago for lunch.
I remember my parents saying they went there back in the 80's for dinner with another couple...and the bill was $375 for dinner and drinks.
My lunch...which consisted of a grilled cheese sandwich and two beers....was $38, not including the tip.
But I'd go back there in a heartbeat, just for the relaxed atmosphere, and great service!
Isnt that the town that kicks off the NH primary? Total pop of 9?

Reactions: marky49

·
Banned
59,630 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Isnt that the town that kicks off the NH primary? Total pop of 9?
correct...riding up to the peak of Dixville is always a great sight....trees are just completely snow covered...a lot of times it's snowing at the peaks, when it's sunny at the base.

·
life is short, live long
29,081 Posts

·
Banned
59,630 Posts
Must be the martinis

·
Registered
635 Posts
old pic of the Dixville peaks...

Dixville%202.jpg

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'll likely never make it to Dixville Notch, but stops along the trail are one of my favorites. In the old days,(70's) we would just make a fire on the edge of the trail and start cooking. Not much of a trail, since most weren't groomed where we went(backwoods U.P.).

Now days I'm happy to hit the B&G and lay a few $20's down.

·
Banned
59,630 Posts
That's a cool photo

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Most local B&Gs here are fantastic. Most see less traffic than say the Tug Hill. Im sure they get their share of morons but the majority of the times its families.

Places like Tug Hill see 200 people at one time and 20k in a weekend. If you go on a Monday you can tell the difference in attitude from a Thursday. Most still aren't bad though

·
Registered
386 Posts
They depend on the winter trade. I can't say enough good about The Sprucedale, if Mike's in rare form you actually get free entertainment. All kidding aside, most places treat sledders great, and from my experience, the few places that don't treat us well don't stay in business long, or change ownership often.

·
Banned
59,630 Posts
They depend on the winter trade. I can't say enough good about The Sprucedale, if Mike's in rare form you actually get free entertainment. All kidding aside, most places treat sledders great, and from my experience, the few places that don't treat us well don't stay in business long, or change ownership often.
Great point

Reactions: Old Papa Smurf
1 - 17 of 17 Posts