Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm having an issue with a loud clunking in the rear suspension or possibly the drive of my 2012 summit x. I've examined the entire track and suspension with a couple sled mechanices from the ski resort i work at but we cant find anything. nothing loose and no impact marks which i would expect with the noise I'm hearing. You can also feel it under foot when it happens. Its only a problem on whoopy trails and seems to be worse the slower you go over the whoops. i'm gonna get into the chain case next and see if anything is loose in there or in the drive but was wondering if anyone else has experianced anything simular to this problem. Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
After powder riding I get enough ice build up it starts making clunking noises on the whoops, but it goes away after 10 mins

Broken shock mounts?
Loose skid bolt?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Yup if there's no visible marks your drive chain is about to break and take out the chain case. If that's not it I'd say a bad bearing on the drivers drive shaft. Get out the tool box. Both can cause a lot of damage if there's a catastrophe failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
i too get it once in a while on my xrs, seems to me that it gets snow or ice packed in it after i get to a place to stop for a while. when it is warmer outside, it doesnt do it at all.

all the above info are good things to check though, i will actually be checking some of them when i take it apart this summer.

steve

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
ah, mine is on the left side down by the foot well, i can feel it when it starts doing it.

for me, its almost like something gets out of alignment for a while, then it starts doing it. then all of a sudden it quits and wont do it for a while again. couple be 100 miles, could be two weeks.

odd for sure,

steve

·
Registered
420 Posts
It may sound stupid, but a bad belt can make the suspension and entire drivetrain ratchet. I would put your spare on and see if it goes away.
A couple years back i had that happen, the whole skid felt like it was jumping, i though i had broken something in the skid, turned out i lost about a twenty cog section

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Even a slightly loose track will slap the tunnel above the drivers, not uncommon. Try tightening a little if it seems to be on the loose side of spec.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you get this figured out? Possible that the torsion spring / bar is rubbing on the lugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts